Notices

Terrible Craving - out of nowhere

Old 02-04-2011, 05:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Terrible Craving - out of nowhere

So I'm snowed in and have been getting cabin fever pretty bad lately. I've been doing so well. Going to meetings, participating in this site, calling people in the program, etc..

Today started off great. I played in my inside golf league today. Had a great round, then went to a great meeting. Spent time with my kids and wife and was having a great day. Right after dinner I had what I call a "grand maul craving". The kind you feel in the pit of your stomach and in the root of your chest.

I made it through it, but man WHEN DO YOU GET BEYOND THESE THINGS... This is the first craving I've had in a few weeks, but man it was a doosey.

If anyone has info on "urge surfing" let me know please. I just think it's crazy that there are times when I feel like I am "immune" to wanting a drink and then out of nowhere I want one as much as I ever have... Oh well... I didn't drink and am not going to...

Have a good night all!!
Old 02-04-2011, 05:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Reggie

I have this link - you'll find other info if you google it.

It should be said it's not a tool exclusively for alcoholic cravings, but it worked pretty well for me in terms of distancing myself from the craving.

Overcoming Life's Obstacles: Urge Surfing to beat addictions and cravings

D
Old 02-04-2011, 06:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

Reggie-

Do something, anything, everything different.

(sounds silly, but just go with it. Do something different)
Old 02-04-2011, 06:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Proud Neonephalist

Hi there,

What helps me is to realize they will happen, but they'll get smaller and less frequent over time. It also helps me to know they usually have a bell curve kind of shape, because it means the worst of it will be relatively short lived.

I like my enemy to have a face, so I visualize those extra dopamine receptors (the ones my brain created to wallow in the effects of all the alcohol I was dumping into my system) snivelling and whining pathetically as they wither away, and my brain balances itself back to normal.

Hey...whatever works, eh?!

Murray
Old 02-04-2011, 06:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Dee, thank you for sharing that. I'm going to work on that.
Old 02-04-2011, 06:23 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I would sometimes get a craving out of nowhere and it was the suddeness of it that would shake me. I would try to close my eyes and just breathe slowly and it helped. I think meditation can also help, in the long run, at least. Meditation allows you to reach the calm space within yourself, no matter what is going on.

Good for you for getting through this.
Old 02-04-2011, 09:21 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Your opening post is something that worrys me, even after one lousy week. Its been easy so far, but Im not one to think that it will continue to be so easy. I KNOW, something will happen, maybe bad, maybe routine, that will make me want to pop open a bottle. I KNOW it will happen, I just would like to know how to combat it when it comes.

Reggie Wayne....was AFTER DINNER a time in the past when you ACTUALLY ENJOYED having a drink?? Have you come to link that time and drinking together????

For me, stupid as it sounds, I almost grabbed a beer WHEN I WAS GONNA HOP IN THE SHOWER, cause , for me, THAT is when I enjoyed one the most, even when I drank responsibly. I dont know why, I guess it comes from a shower indicating my day of work was over, NOW its time to unwind. Still, throwing one back while is the shower IS pretty stupid, I know....

Good luck, man.......hope you find how to cope with these times.
Old 02-04-2011, 09:34 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

the quicker I tell someone...call another addict or my sponsor...the quicker it goes away.

Sometimes they just "appear" without notice or any apparent trigger. Exposing it...it dies in the light of exposure.

The sooner I get honest about the experience and tell on it...the sooner it goes away. I have a whole network of people who are likely to receive a text message that says "I want to smoke" due to how well it works to give a shout out, and for me it works on quitting any addiction with a craving. I stopped smoking cigs about a year into my recovery and am very grateful to have learned how exposing cravings works so quickly. When or IF I suddenly get an urge that makes me uncomfortable I text immediately as fast as I can! ...I call if it's necessary. I don't have any intentions of using, however I expose it as though my life depends on it. It goes away every time!

yep, the quicker I tell on it...the quicker it goes away. oh....already said that

Peace,
Missy
Old 02-04-2011, 09:47 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

My bad craving was Christmas...putting up the tree and having to deal with the d@mn lights. I wasn't sure wtf...I really haven't had to deal with bad cravings..when it hit me. I have ALWAYS hated the d@mn lights...and would drink a vat of wine to get thru it. I would get lit with the tree. But when I really thought about it..I drank no matter what the mood. Gaba most likely is right on target..it is some hidden association with drinking after dinner that caused it..I am glad you got thru it without drinking!!!
Old 02-04-2011, 10:09 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
SR Fan

I would get lit with the tree
haha - MsCB that's too funny!

Oh how uncomfortable those cravings can be.... I haven't had one in a while (probably since the holidays, too). But they can come on suddenly and hit you between the eyes.

Remind yourself that "this too shall pass." And definitely tell on yourself, like Missy said, and come here and read/post/read until you feel steady again.

It will feel so good in the morning knowing you got through it and waking up with even more strength and confidence.
Old 02-05-2011, 05:36 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hey everyone! Thanks for you posts. The craving did pass but it took quite a while. I didn't sleep very well, but here I am sober and up and moving. It's crazy, I can go for days and feel fantastic and then out of nowhere it's as if my body says, "Where's our booze"... I don't want to drink, I'm not going to drink, but I feel that there a times when my body has a mind of its own and just wants what it wants. I'm so grateful that I am not controlled by the craving anymore.

I hope everyone has a great day. Dee - thanks for the link!
Old 02-05-2011, 05:45 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Tough spot to be in Reggiewayne.

My understanding of alcoholism is that I can no more surf an urge than I can fly. I truly don't intend to disparage that advice, but...it runs counter to what I know about my disease from the AA text book. Sure, I can get through a few, but...eventually....I am in serious trouble. I need to deal with causes and conditions.

The only question I would ask is, Where are you in your recovery? Are you writing your fourth step? Are you, as we say in my home group, in the book?

I know I'm like Rain Man with this stuff, but I can only share what's worked for me.

Feel free to PM me if I can be of any help. Happy to give you my phone number as well.
Old 02-05-2011, 05:47 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I can get a craving just from reading a post here or seeing a commercial for glassware or a restaurant advertisement, the food network people tasting wine.....they are like random bullets....i never know when or where, my brain is like that.

i've done a variety of different things to stop the thoughts...and they do pass, but each one is different.
Old 02-05-2011, 06:36 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by gabagool View Post
Reggie Wayne....was AFTER DINNER a time in the past when you ACTUALLY ENJOYED having a drink?? Have you come to link that time and drinking together????

Good luck, man.......hope you find how to cope with these times.
Hey gabagool... After dinner was not really a time when I got a drink. Not that I didn't drink after dinner, but typically I started much earlier. I honestly have no idea why this craving came. I have 67 days today and have been doing pretty well. I hadn't had a craving in quite some time. I actually was talking to my sponsor earlier that day about how I'm concerned because the past few weeks had been going so well.

I don't think any of these things are related. I honestly think I was feeling sorry for myself for being "snowed in", I was complaining about how bored I was, and then my body started reminding me what I can do when I am bored. Snow storms were ALWAYS a time where I got trashed. I'm just glad I got through it.

I definitely don't regret not drinking. It's funny, we never wake up after beating an urge to drink and think, Man, if I just would have had those 15 beers - my life would be so much better... lol...
Old 02-05-2011, 06:38 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FrothyJay View Post

My understanding of alcoholism is that I can no more surf an urge than I can fly. I truly don't intend to disparage that advice, but...it runs counter to what I know about my disease from the AA text book. Sure, I can get through a few, but...eventually....I am in serious trouble. I need to deal with causes and conditions.

The only question I would ask is, Where are you in your recovery? Are you writing your fourth step? Are you, as we say in my home group, in the book?

I know I'm like Rain Man with this stuff, but I can only share what's worked for me.

Feel free to PM me if I can be of any help. Happy to give you my phone number as well.
I am on step 8 right now. I appreciate your help. I'm gonna be fine. Going to a meeting later today.
Old 02-05-2011, 08:18 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thanks for the urge surfing link, Dee. I've found mindfulness techniques to be really useful tools. They absolutely work for me.

Glad you're getting out of the house and going to a meeting today, Reggie. I was cooped up during a rainstorm a few weeks ago: stuck inside the house meant being stuck inside my head...
Old 02-05-2011, 08:41 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hey man. I think the crucial thing obviously is to not act on the craving. So nice one!! Reaching out before you act on the craving is really essential to I feel or sharing it like you have!! Nice one!

I think that sharing it and reaching out really dimishes the power of the craving/obsession. That's why it's difficult as the last thing you want to do when you're in it is to reach out as your addict mind knows that's gonna mess its chances of getting its fix.

What really helped me was realising that part of my mind is an addict that will want to get its fix - so it will use all sorts of tactics to get its reward. The important thing in my opinion is recognising this and this in itself diminishes the power greatly. Also the craving will lessen naturally and as you come through them you gain strength and self-belief that you don't have to be a slave to them and just acting upon them.

I think if you continue to work hard on your recovery and continue moving forwards then the cravings will naturally go and you will get to the stage where providing you actively live your recovery program then the thought of a drink will seem alien and something of zero appeal.

I also think it's important to also realise that as an alcoholic then a craving for a drink is perfectly natural and all part of getting and staying sober. I guess you wouldn't be an alkie if you didn't get cravings from time to time. I feel you can also use experiences such as this to further strengthen your acceptance that you're an alcoholic; I certainly tried/try to use many experiences in this way.

Nice one for sharing and reaching out, that's half of the battle!!

Peace
Old 02-05-2011, 10:13 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Good stuff Neo.. You're so right about it's just further proof that I'm alcoholic. Imagine that... an alcoholic having a desire to drink alcohol - lol...
Old 02-05-2011, 12:48 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by FrothyJay View Post

Well, there's much point in me recounting your experience, Frothy Jay.

It's worked for me

Whether you or I like it or not, our way is never the only way.

The beauty of SR is that we all share whats worked for us....it gives the newcomer a big array of things to choose from, to try...and eventually find what works.

D
Old 02-05-2011, 01:04 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
A work in progress

The other point to consider is that in early recovery, we need all the tools we can get. AA does promise that ultimately we "recover" but nobody does that (or, rather, relatively few do that) in a matter of days or even weeks.

Tips and tricks will work for awhile, at least, even if you need something more substantial to carry you for the long term. There's an AA book called "Living Sober" that has many suggestions for dealing with cravings or urges to drink when you're new. If you can't keep the booze out of your body long enough to work the Steps, you are going to have a tough time of it even if you WANT to "thoroughly follow our path".