Notices

Has anybody recovered BEFORE a horror story?

Old 02-05-2011, 07:52 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  
Grateful Member

I agree with JoeCree. I COULD have hit rock bottom had I continued, and that scared me enough that I decided it wasn't worth it.
Since then, I've realized my mother is an alcoholic, who acts like an idiot, and embarrasses herself, and my father, and me and my sister. I COULD have gone there and been that. I was on my way there. Glad I didn't. Christmas Eve she was hammered and sloppily hanging all over my 14 year old, who later told me that between her red lipstick on his cheek, and her liquor and smoke breath, he just wanted her away from him.
My grandkids will NEVER talk that way about me.
Old 02-06-2011, 06:16 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

I have heard of people who didn't necessarily suffer terrible external consequences, but emotionally and spiritually they felt they had become 'bankrupt'. I am aware that this is a disease that is progressive. When I sat in meetings, listening to some fairly extreme examples, I didn't respond by thinking 'I'm not as bad as that' - I could see the same thought patterns developing in myself and identify, so I knew that this was where I was heading sooner or later if I didn't take some action.
Old 02-06-2011, 08:41 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  
rode hard and put away wet

Sometimes in meetings when people share their stories, instead of saying "Thanks for sharing" I replace it with "I believe you" and that helps me keep perspective on how horrible this disease can get.