Notices

New

Old 02-04-2011, 05:55 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Hi, and welcome!

There are a lot of online meetings around these days. My suggestion is that you get the AA literature (start with the Big Book--here's an online version and the 12 & 12 ("Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions")--you can buy them online).

Also, AA has a "Loners" service, where AA members write to those who can't get to regular meetings. Check out the main Alcoholics Anonymous website.

And, of course, we have this forum--be sure to check out the 12-Step forum here.

Your parrot is lovely!
Old 02-04-2011, 06:04 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Hi Drapple

I'm so impressed by your accomplishment and courage. I totally understand your frustration in not being able to participate in AA. But I wanted to share with you that there is power in the Big Book, and that alone can help you through these early days of recovery.

The Big Book didn't speak to me when I had an opportunity to get and remain sober a decade ago, but now it does.

Sobriety is a one-day-at-a-time proposition. I never really understood what that meant, but now I realize that it simply means I do not have to drink today, for the 18 hours that I'm awake. Suddenly, those days stack up to five months, the anniversary of sobriety I'm approaching in a few days.

I can't put myself in you shoes, and frankly, the courage in which you are approaching life embarrasses me. How can I wallow in my own self pity when you deal with hearing loss?

But I, too, chose isolation in the wake of my own tragedy, but now crave for human companionship...which I find here. You will too.

Keep coming back. And remember, during your hardest days, you are an inspiration to the rest of us.

Thank you for remaining sober.
Old 02-04-2011, 06:25 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

What kind of parrot is Bruce? I looked into getting a parrot (yellow nape or African Grey) years ago after getting to know a couple of extremely cool ones...but decided with my somewhat topsy-turvy lifestyle and also the fact that I smoke, I would not be an ideal owner.

I'm glad you can hear him. late-life deafness runs in my family and I probably ought to be prepared for it (my hearing is sometimes rather fuzzy)...my paternal grandmother became totally deaf by her mid-70s, my aunt at the same age is completely dependent on her hearing aids, my father's hearing was going noticeably by about 60.

Anyway...way to go on day 34! I've become quite addicted to these forums...they are really helpful. Keep dropping by!
Old 02-04-2011, 07:01 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Way to go on 34 Drapple!! Welcome!!
Bruce is a cool name. I once had a cat named Mr. Brown. He went outside sometimes. One day he just disappeared. I was heartbroken. About a month later..I heard this continuous meow on my porch. Looked out and there he was. His fur was all matted..pads of his feet scabbed. He looked like a bad cat..something out of a Stephen King movie. I was so happy he was back. In no time..he was one cool cat again. We speculated that he must have hopped on a moving van that was in the complex...and it took him a LONG time to find his way home. Anyway..that is my amazing animal story for you! Glad you found us...
Old 02-04-2011, 07:56 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Welcome to SR! I think you are entirely correct in focusing on your sobriety right now. There is nothing more important, imo.

Also....I wouldn't discount sign languge just yet. It's a tough languge, but slowly and surely it can be learned. Who knows.... Glad you are here!