Notices

Thank you for day 16

Old 02-02-2011, 05:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Thank you for day 16

Just what the title says, I want to thank you all for day 16.

Here is my story. You have all heard it before, and quite a few of you have lived it. But I need to get it out.

I started drinking at age 14. Am now 43. I have been battling this disease since I first started drinking. I have quit a few times, twice for over two years (I was sober for 2 and half years, drank one night, then sober for another 2 and a half years).

Like many of you, I am tired of the blackouts, the hangovers, the anxiety, the feelings of dread, the embarassment, the apologizing, all of it.

I am what is comonly reffered to as a functional alcoholic, although I disagree with that term, I don't feel like I function very well, but the bills are paid, have had the same job for years. Like others, from the outside, I have it all together. The only ones that know any different are my wonderful wife and daughter. They are my reason for being.

I have tried the all the moderation tricks over the years, have reasoned with myself, have made all the deals with myself, and of course, it never works.

So how did you all help me? I have been sober for 16 days. I am on a business trip at the moment 500 miles from home. As I have done before when I have been "sober", I was thinking I could pick up a bottle and sit in my hotel room and drink. NO one would know. Instead I googled for alcoholic forums and found this site and started reading. For the past few hours I have been sitting here reading. You all have made me laugh, made me cry, I have been going through the whole gamet of emotions tonight. In reading these posts, I have seen me in so many of them. I have seen all the things I have tried over the years, and am seeing they just do not work. The only way I can do this is to not drink. My wife is worth it, my daughter is worth it, and I am worth it.

You have shown me I am not alone with this, and that yes, I need help. I can not do this by myself. And most importantly, you have kept me from drinking tonight. For that I am truley thankful.
Old 02-02-2011, 05:30 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome aboard thegoodlife - and congratulations on 16 days - awesome!

D
Old 02-02-2011, 05:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to you thegoodlife. Hope you stick around
and keep posting. Looking forward to getting to
know you better. Yep, you are right a bunch
of wonderful and supportive people on this forum.
It is a godsend to me!
Old 02-02-2011, 06:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congrats on 16 days and welcome to SR..!
Old 02-03-2011, 04:48 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Welcome to SR. Like you, I made the decision to quit, then found SR, and there has been no turning back. With the little bit of clarity that 5 months sober has given me, I can't believe how much alcohol had enslaved me, and how glad I am to be free of it.
Old 02-03-2011, 05:30 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on your sixteen days sober and welcome to the family!
Old 02-03-2011, 07:31 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Trudging that road.

Day 16 you are a miracle hang on though cause your in for a ride but the good news is many of us will take that ride with you. Welcome to SR Keep the Faith
Old 02-03-2011, 07:43 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Nice one on 16 days sober!! I totally agree with you on the value of SR, it's a vital part of my recovery!!

Thanks for your great post,

Peace
Old 02-03-2011, 07:45 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Good job. I am on day 20, so we are in a familiar boat.
Old 02-03-2011, 07:48 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, this place has done wonders for me. Please keep us posted. Congrats on 16 days. If you don't mind me asking what made you pick up after 2.5/5 years?
Old 02-03-2011, 02:36 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by coop1 View Post
Welcome to SR, this place has done wonders for me. Please keep us posted. Congrats on 16 days. If you don't mind me asking what made you pick up after 2.5/5 years?
I was on a trip for work, my wife at the time called and told me she wanted a divorce. I was on the next plane home. Had a layover in I forget what city, and went to the bar. It was that simple. I only drank that one night.

Two and a half years later, I thought I could drink again, the next 15 years were a roller coaster that ended 17 days ago. It has to end or I risk losing my family.

To clarify, this is my second marriage, we have been together for 17 years, and I can not losing what I have. She has stood by me through this. SHe has stood by me as I have gone through this hell, and it wasn't until 17 days ago that I realized she has been going through hell too, only she has had to go through it sober.
Old 02-03-2011, 02:38 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thank you all for the kind words. As you can see, I made it to day 17, and I go home tomorrow.
Old 02-03-2011, 04:38 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good for you!
Old 02-03-2011, 04:45 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

your honesty and thoughts are very inspiring.

congrats on your 17 days...moving forward is great. i hope you feel well physically and i'm glad you use this site instead of drinking.
Old 02-03-2011, 04:59 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Wow, powerful stuff thegoodlife. We're glad you are here! Keep coming back!!!!
Old 02-03-2011, 05:03 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome! I went back to drinking after several years, too, somehow "forgetting" the pain it causes, and thinking things would be different. Now I realize how much sheer work it was to try to drink reasonably (which I did for a year or two). Eventually, of course, it was deja vu all over again.

Glad you're here - this is a great place for support. I use it every day and it makes staying sober so much more pleasant!.
Old 02-03-2011, 06:26 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, and congrats on 17 days!!

SR has been a huge part of my recovery. There's never been a time, when I needed someone to "talk" to, that someone wasn't here. No matter what mood I'm in..in a funk, or walking on cloud 9, there's someone else here going through something similar, and that's pretty cool.

We're like a REALLY big family, so welcome to the family

Hugs and prayers,

Amy