Notices

Accept to be Accepted

Old 01-31-2011, 04:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Life is Grand

Accept to be Accepted

I have to admit, that when I was first starting my journey into recovery, I was pretty selfish. I didn't really know it at the time and I wasn't trying to be that way, but I was. I knew that we (Alcoholics/Addicts) came from all walks of life, in all shapes, colors and sizes...and that we all had our own story, but somehow, I thought we all had to think the same. Basically, we all had to follow the same path...single file...no diversions..or we would fail.

I had the silly notion, that we all had to agree, or the "whole" would fall apart...boy-oh-boy...was I ever wrong. I wish I could tell you exactly what turned the light bulb on over my head, but I can't remember ( I had 1 1/2 brain cells left after trying to drown them all)...but I remember thinking to myself...

" How dare you expect everyone to accept you for who you are...and you get to choose who is right and who is wrong"

You see, without knowing it, I was judging others...and it felt pretty horrible to realize I was doing it.

That is why I started the other thread...Recovering or Recovery...you see, I truly believe, that we can think independently, and still function as the "whole", but it all begins with acceptance...I can accept that my way of thinking is not right for everyone...and I hope we can all get along, because you accept me also......so simple.

I wonder why it took me so long to realize it.....I guess I will blame it on the Alcohol!!!

Peace...Cathy
Old 01-31-2011, 07:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Strength through diversity