Notices

Not too sure how to make it through...

Old 01-30-2011, 11:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Not too sure how to make it through...

I have two more weeks to go until my court case for DUI and I am starting to panic and be irrational with my thinking, I know I can't change it and have to somehow make it through,,,,,,,,,,, but to be totally honest I wish I could make it through without being present I know it sounds like what a typical alcoholic might say.......... I have been now sober for 120 days but it is hard and it is so much harder when you have this thing in front of you and you have no idea of what the outcome will be. I try to stay positive but it is hard..
Old 01-30-2011, 11:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm going through the same thing but I'm on my 2nd DUI. Don't you have a lawyer yet and if not then you should. Take it one day at a time and you will get through it. It's not the end of the world and panic about it will only make it worst.
Old 01-30-2011, 11:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

We always make the unknown fear so much worst in our heads; with the worry and what the possible outcome will be. It is always much worst in our heads then the true outcome.
You need to face this and having stress and anxiety is natural.
Tell the judge that you have 120+ days and tell him what you are doing about your recovery today.
You will get threw this. Now is the time to make changes. Keep us updated on the court date and the results. Good luck, been there and so glad it is over.
It could of been much, much worst, I could of killed someday and for that I'm grateful.
Old 01-31-2011, 12:07 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tallcactus View Post
We always make the unknown fear so much worst in our heads; with the worry and what the possible outcome will be. It is always much worst in our heads then the true outcome.
You need to face this and having stress and anxiety is natural.
Tell the judge that you have 120+ days and tell him what you are doing about your recovery today.
You will get threw this. Now is the time to make changes. Keep us updated on the court date and the results. Good luck, been there and so glad it is over.
It could of been much, much worst, I could of killed someday and for that I'm grateful.
Telling the judge that she been sober for 120+ days would not do anything because there is no prove on that. The only thing good that does is that it shows Sidney14 can get through this without alcohol.
Old 01-31-2011, 01:20 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sydney is in Australia Act10N...the legal system is not the same as in the States.

Sydney,

I know it's hard not knowing exactly what will happen....but this is one of those times when you just have to give it up...what happens now is out of your hands. Worrying is natural, but it's really wasted energy....

I assume you've asked your lawyers opinion on what might happen - there's very little you can do now but wait, pray if you're into that, and don't get into any more trouble.

Go into that court with 134 days sober - and while I'm not a lawyer of any description, I believe your solicitor will probably want to mention that

I hope you'll get a good result.
D

Last edited by Dee74; 01-31-2011 at 01:41 AM.
Old 01-31-2011, 01:33 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I had a seizure WHILE in court (for a DUI) and fell and broke my nose and was taken away in an ambulance. I hadda call my lawyer from the ER to ask him what happened in my case.

Good luck to you!
Old 01-31-2011, 06:06 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sidney,

It's normal to be stressed out over the upcoming court issue, but know that you can get through it. Keep focused on your recovery. You might find that journalling helps you to stay more calm.
Old 01-31-2011, 08:16 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

I would suggest fostering the belief that no matter what the outcome is to be, that your a strong, resilient and determined person. Ready to take on all challenges sober.

That attitude has helped me many time when facing uncertainty.
Old 01-31-2011, 08:21 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
I love this place.

Have faith. Look to Him for strength to get through this sober and thank Him in advance for the outcome....He can move mountains in regards to your case...trust Him.

Excerpt from email I rec'd recently:

It is never safe to look into the future with eyes of fear.
Edward H.Harriman said that, and he was right. Nothing
is fearful lest thinking make it so. I can honestly say that
probably 95% of the things I was afraid of, it turned out
I had no reason to be.
And even if the thing you fear happens...so what? Again,
95% of the time your world is not going to fall apart, your
life will not be in danger. So drop fear by the wayside.

Just... let it go. Then make way for a surprising tomorrow.
Old 01-31-2011, 08:59 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Sidney - I feel for you - I was there once too. For my 2nd DUI I became very emotional in front of the judge (it wasn't an act) & told him I was through with alcohol, how long I'd been sober, how I finally understood that I was an alcoholic and couldn't touch the stuff - etc. I believe he saw how sincere I was - showing remorse is very important. Believe it or not, others in court that day were very cocky, with no apologies.

I'll be praying for you. I look forward to reading the news that everything turned out better than you expected.
Old 01-31-2011, 09:13 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

Sid-

I know how you feel. I've had two duis and two totalled cars, with the 2nd (and last one) causing an accident with other cars.

It took a year from the time of the accident until my trial. What a strange year it was as I got sober, lost my Dad, Mom and step dad got divorced, cousin died, and the U.S. tax department billed me thousands of dollars for a mistake I made years ago on my taxes.

...but I stayed sober. Want to know why?

B/c I put a lot of work into my sobriety and b/c the fear in regards to my trial, was nothing compared to the fear I felt b/c of my alcoholism.

If you're an alcoholic who got sober then hold your head up high b/c you're a walking, talking miracle.

Keep up the good work. Stay sober and help others and everything else will fall into place.

Kjell
Old 01-31-2011, 02:58 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hevyn View Post
Sidney - I feel for you - I was there once too. For my 2nd DUI I became very emotional in front of the judge (it wasn't an act) & told him I was through with alcohol, how long I'd been sober, how I finally understood that I was an alcoholic and couldn't touch the stuff - etc. I believe he saw how sincere I was - showing remorse is very important. Believe it or not, others in court that day were very cocky, with no apologies.

I'll be praying for you. I look forward to reading the news that everything turned out better than you expected.
Thanks you so so much for all of your support. I do see a psychiatrist regularly and she wrote a report for me that I suffered from postnatal depression when my child was born just a week before that incident, and I went to a rehab for 6 weeks and there the psychiatrist wrote a report for me too, and I am now also attending once a week an outside D&A program within the same clinic.....I know I have to let go and trust that no matter what all will be ok...just that some days it is so much easier then others.......I know I can't change the past and the power is only what I do Today...I remind myself everyday for the good things in my life and I journal on them ..... I will keep you all posted......on the outcome.... I am sorry if I am posting so much on this, my family has come back to me by staying sober, and only positive things have been happening ,,,,,,,, and as much as I wanted today to just stay in bed and not go to work or go for my usual run,,, I forced myself to still do as they say do opposite to action......... I know I would have felt much worse staying in bed and stewing over it........ I wish you guys could all come to court with me on the 21st of feb
Old 01-31-2011, 03:43 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
SR Fan

I'm sure I'd be feeling the same way - I think anyone would be upset, nervous, etc...... Just remember that this situation is temporary. It will be over in a couple of weeks and you'll know what you have to deal with. What matters is you and your life....

Only we alcoholics would think of having a drink to deal with a DUI!! lol... Don't worry about posting too much about it - it's a big deal and people here want to support you. Congratulations on your 120 days, too - that's awesome!
Old 01-31-2011, 04:34 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by artsoul View Post
Only we alcoholics would think of having a drink to deal with a DUI!! lol...
I know is that not said it has entered my mind but I know it will not change anything and make everything a million time worse and more unmanageable, then I might also have to deal with losing my family, my job and who knows what elsee....
Old 01-31-2011, 04:51 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I have been in front of Judges more time than I can count and not once did I ever correctly predict the outcome. Just gotta learn to roll with the punches, after all its your mess. Oh, one more thing its just a DUI, they cant eat you and they cant keep you forever. Just sayin...
Old 01-31-2011, 04:59 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

What do you mean by " they can eat you and can't keep you forever???
Old 01-31-2011, 05:17 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

I took it to mean that you will get past it. It reminds me of what I tell my daughter when she's gotten herself all in a tizzy with worry. I say, well, they're not going to pull out a gun and shoot you, so whatever happens will be okay.
Old 01-31-2011, 05:49 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hi Suki that makes more sense now thanks
Old 02-01-2011, 02:25 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I think I am feeling a bit better today,,,,,,,,, I am so hard trying to redirect my thinking and keeping it all in the today since that is really all i have control over my thinking,..... I just wish my solicitor would give me answers sooner as to my options....I really hope that I am not wasting my money on him I mean he has years and years of experience in DUI's at first it was 2200 dollars for a simple case then it got adjourned so another 250 dollars then on the 21st of Feb it will cost me 3300 dollars and that does not even guarantee me a good outcome........there should be something like if the outcomes is not acceptable then you only have to pay half or something.....it is just crazy how much money these solicitors make....