Notices

What to expect during withdraw?

Old 01-29-2011, 08:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What to expect during withdraw?

Hi everyone, My name is Matt and I'm from NJ. I've been drinking pretty heavily for the past 7 years and I've come to the point where my health is gone. I sleep 12+ hours a day, I feel depressed and anxious all the time, I feel sick all the time plus I've ruined freinships, relationships, you name it.

I decided to quit and have been sober for 3 days. I know I'm going to go through withdraw and I feel like its starting now. I cannot sleep and I'm very anxious. I've also been feeling dizzy most of the day whenever I move around alot.

I don't feel any cravings to drink and I got rid of everything I had in my house. But I'm concerned about how I'm going to feel. What can I expect the withdraw to be like and are there steps I can take to reduce it?

I've been researching online the best I can and thats when I found this site. I'm hoping to talk to some folks who have been down this road and can possibly share what they experienced physically.

Thank you for your time,
Matt
Old 01-29-2011, 09:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Maybe this will help...

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html
Old 01-29-2011, 09:06 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

As for myself..I remember feeling a bit of anxiety for the first 3 days. The worst was insomnia but I have always had that. If you get worried about any symptoms you are having check with your Doctor..I never did have any majoy problems with detox but I have read many posts of others that suffered alot. Hang in there..and Welcome Welco!
Old 01-29-2011, 09:14 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Best thing you can do for yourself right now is to get busy. Try not to repeat the behaviors that were the backdrop to your drinking. If every night you came home and sat down in your chair with a tall one, change things up and instead of coming straight home take a class at the gym or join a social group in town. Maybe instead of watching tv you go out and volunteer or take some classes.

Be very proud of yourself. You have made a decision to be a better man and it is something a lot of men, without your guts, don't ever try to do. Any time you feel a craving or get bored, come to SR. Some of us come here eight or nine times a day! Instead of a drink we grab the computer and are better for it. We are rooting for you!
Old 01-29-2011, 09:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

...Welcome

When I decided to quit drinking....I connected to a local AA group.
It's been an awesome adventure on how to live sober..and enjoy it.

Many of us are winning over alcohol...I hope you will keep posting
we are here to support you....and we do understand.

Glad you are here...and Yes! you too can quit....
Old 01-29-2011, 09:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR WelcoSki

D
Old 01-30-2011, 05:17 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Most of us felt kinda crappy for the first week or so. Lightheadedness, sleep problems, anxiety are pretty common. If you experience any alarming symptoms, don't hesitate to call for medical help. Withdrawal CAN be dangerous.

Congrats on your decision to quit drinking! Do you have any plans for staying sober? I like AA very much.

Where in the lovely Garden State are you?
Old 01-30-2011, 05:28 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Anxiety and depression with sleeplessness. They were the worst bits for me
Old 01-30-2011, 05:29 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Matt - (I love New Jersey) Glad you found us.

Actually, for me the first week was the worst. I felt a little better every day after that. Don't get discouraged if it isn't all sunshine & puppies in the beginning. I felt very draggy and foggy for awhile - but then found that each day was better than the last. Congratulations on your new life! Let us know how it's going.
Old 01-30-2011, 05:41 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the best recovery site everywhere. YOu'll find lots of support and good information here.
Old 01-30-2011, 06:24 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR and glad you are with us.

I found SR to be invaluable in my recovery so in those early days/weeks I was on here quite often. Now it is part of my life and I enjoy being here as so many folks were here to help me when I first started. Tossing out the bottle and moving forward no matter how difficult or impossible it seemed was what I did. I refused to give in and go back to that life and I can happily say now that I am blessed everyday I quit drinking and got help.

While I find each person's journey to be different.....the early days were a bit rough with the anxiety (I developed anxiety/panic attacks after years of drinking) and the insomnia so I tried to do something positive each day for myself - from taking a refreshing shower to taking a walk. Whatever it was.....it was about changing routine and keeping busy so I wasn't just sitting in dwelling on drinking. The physical piece passed for me and of course checking in with the Dr. for a work-up is a good thing.....it was my thinking and lifestyle that had to change.

Along with SR....I sought face to face support as well. Having real life support and assistance in making change and transitioning to a sober life for me was tremendous.

Just stay positive and reach out. Looking forward to the journey. We are here to support!

Last edited by Kmber2010; 01-30-2011 at 06:28 AM. Reason: typos.....eeek
Old 01-30-2011, 06:25 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome!

I'm glad you found us.
Old 01-30-2011, 01:41 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

On day 4 you should be over or mostly over the acute withdrawals. Read up on PAWS - post acute withdrawal syndrome.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...periences.html
Old 01-30-2011, 02:49 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the responses! its really helpfull hearing from others who have been through the same thing. I'm on day 4 and although I didn't sleep well last night I'm feeling less nervous/anxious. I'm still tired, dizzy, and my stomach feels weird (hurts to touch).

I read up on all the symptoms of withdraw, and "PAWS".

I also spoke to an old friend who quit drinking a couple years ago and asked him about his experiences. What he said was a little frightening since he described being extremely sick for over 4 months after he quit. Hopefully I don't go through that. That is really my biggest fear.

I made an appointment with my doctor on Thursday to discuss things and ask her about trying a good diet or vitamins to help me start feeling better. I don't want to rush things but I really just want to get myself back in shape. I use to be very fit and athletic and enjoyed alot of stuff that I just don't do anymore. I just want to leave this crappy part behind and never look back.
Old 01-30-2011, 02:52 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Frankly, I've never heard of anyone being "extremely sick" for four months due to quitting drinking, unless he or she had liver damage or other serious health problems to begin with. Physically, anyway. Lots of us stayed a bit "sick" in other ways for awhile.

Still, a doctor's help is always a good thing.