Notices

100 days!

Old 01-29-2011, 08:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

100 days!

Well I'll be. I'm not sure what to think. I guess this is a milestone though I'm not a believer in counting days of sobriety. 'X' amount of days sober are not the prize to me. A happy, calm and content sobriety is, whether it be a few months or many years.

It's been a journey and I only feel now as if I've moved away from my life as it was when I was drinking. I've struggled, for sure; just a couple of weeks ago I was close to picking up a drink out of sheer boredom, the 'what's the point' attitude that arose from sinking back into all my old, negative patterns of behaviour and thinking. Turns out the/my antidote was to shake it off by getting out to see people who care about me and who I care about, taking part in activities (like, for me, indoor climbing, the gym), getting a job, as ****** and banal as this one is, just for the sake of having structure in the days again.

So, after 100 days clean, if you'd ask me I'd say that I am finally beginning to feel a measure of peace, a lightness of spirit that I haven't felt in a long time.

I know that I could go back to that hell anytime I want. I understand that relapse happens well before you put the glass or bottle to your lips; it starts when you begin losing sight of what you value more: people, yourself, gratitude, perspective etc.

So that's 100 days down, for what they're worth, which is a lot really. For the next 100 days, the goal is not just simply to stay sober. How boring is that? No, there's lots I need to do. Here's some:
  1. Ok, they've been a useful crutch since getting off booze, but the endless cigarettes and bottomless coffees have to go. After the physical torture of alcoholic drinking, it's time my body really caught a break.
  2. Think seriously about my long-term future. There's so many things I want to do but swore I could never do when I was drinking. Being sober makes things seem possible. This bears further investigation.
  3. Make my mind up about AA. I've resisited far more than I've explored the 12 steps and AA, this in spite of going through a 12 step treatment centre at the start of my recovery. I've been to quite a few meetings since, and there's lots I admire in AA, but for the most part I'm not really comfortable with it. I need to decide whether to go with it or just say, "hey, it's not for me" and be OK about it.
  4. Get myself up and organised. It's fair to say that these first 100 days have been a sort of hibernation and maybe it's just as well. It's helped to keep things simple, live in one day at a time, and this will bode well for me if I remember it. But getting sober has given me my life back, or at least the promise of it back. It's up to me to wield it for the good of myself and for others. Time to reengage with the world. That can be simple or grand, I'm not sure it matters at this stage.

Anyway, thanks for letting me think aloud on here.

God bless you all.

Hud
x
Old 01-29-2011, 08:28 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

congrats on the first 100!
Old 01-29-2011, 08:29 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

100 days..
Old 01-29-2011, 08:30 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hey, congrats with your 100 days!

As one of the worlds biggest doubters, I would like to endorse AA and ask you to give it a try. Have you spoken at it yet? Have you done a chair? Have u tried the steps? U dont feel or get the whole benefits until u do these things and ultimately help someone else do it too.

Whatever u decide, best wishes!
Old 01-29-2011, 08:51 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

FIND GOD! I feel like a broken record, but this is so crucial that I can't say it enough. He will give you strength for the hardships that will surely come, willpower will not get it done (but you probably already know this).
Old 01-29-2011, 08:54 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations on your 100 days sober!

Like you, I recognized that a relapse for me, began with getting caught up in the negative thoughts. Sometimes, I just longed to let go and to wallow in negative stuff and I realized I don't have that luxury. For me, it's a slippery slope on the way to hell.

And, the first few months of sobriety are to be treasured because they show you that you have unlimited opportunities.
Old 01-29-2011, 08:59 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on your first hundred days of a better sober life.
Old 01-29-2011, 09:45 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Congrats on your 100 days! Awesome!
Old 01-29-2011, 09:48 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
at peace

Outstanding job!! 100 days is a milestone without a doubt. Keep moving forward!
Old 01-29-2011, 10:42 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Way to go Hud!!!
Old 01-29-2011, 01:36 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Congrats on the 100 days!
Old 01-29-2011, 03:32 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations on your 100 days Hud....and on that sense of peace and lightness of spirit.

Good luck with the cigs and your other objectives

D