Notices

Relapse

Old 01-29-2011, 05:46 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LosingmyMisery View Post
I alone can not out smart, out wit, or beat alcoholism without newfound knowledge, wisdom, and skills. This all takes great efforts and time. Most importantly, I must not pick up that first drink. If I respect the fact that sobriety is taken one day at a time and I must never doubt the facts, I can not drink, ever. If I do, I will surely be taken down a path of fear, chaos, pain and agony. That is if I'm lucky enough to survive. I know what is waiting for me if I were to drink. It will always be waiting for me. That I know will never change no matter how much time passes between now and my last drink. I have fought hard to get to where I am today. I'm not going backward, only forward and I do it without booze.

With all that, I never would have come to this realization if I hadn't of tested the waters one last time. The scary truth is that is what lead me to sobriety. I don't recommend others "test" the waters. They say relapse doesn't have to be a part of recovery. Once I got "serious" I haven't wanted or had a drink since.
100% agreed. Very well said!
Old 01-29-2011, 05:49 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

Once I admitted and accepted I was an alcoholic and all the responsabilities that come along with that...

...then any further "relapses" would be very unfortunate and regrettable.
Old 01-29-2011, 05:52 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Untreated alcoholics have lost power, choice and control as it relates to drinking. So relapsers generally don't "decide" to drink: they are powerless not to.

This is critical to understanding the need for a higher power. If I really believe that I make the decision to drink or not, why would I need that sort of help?
Old 01-29-2011, 06:17 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Today's Muse

I too am scared to death of relapse. That fear helps keep me sober today.
Old 01-29-2011, 07:48 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

"That sums up our disease so perfectly. It's so mean, spiteful, tricky, and dishonest. It burns the candle from both ends. On one end, it tells us "WE need a drink, you've worked so hard, you deserve one, it will be different this time, you can control it, look at everyone else - they are drinking why aren't you"... Then, once we give into the mental obsession it tells us "look how weak you are, you're a loser, all you are good for is drinking, look at those other people - they aren't drinking, why do you have to"...

It calls us a sissy for not drinking, then it calls us a monster once we do."

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^Love This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

You put it very succinctly,Reggie. For alcoholics, it's definitely a Lose/Lose situation. And even a Lose/Lose/Lose situation as , at least for me, drinking no longer delivered the euphoria that it had in the past.
Old 01-30-2011, 10:36 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by reggiewayne View Post
I was at a meeting today to see a fellow member get a start over token after 100 days of sobriety. She threw it all away for two bottles of wine. After the .......:

Great great post, I read it a few days ago and it really resonated with me....part of the reason I am on day 25 today instead of day 1