SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Cooking alcohol? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/218745-cooking-alcohol.html)

Garp 01-27-2011 02:49 AM

Cooking alcohol?

I would like to get SR's opinion on cooking with alcohol (specifically, cooked alcohol).

I ask this because I have a bottle of Mirin (Japanese cooking sake) in my fridge, and I still put it in my Japanese noodle soup broth every now and then (the alcohol is, of course, cooked out -- boiled for 10-20 minutes or so).

Is this enough to get rid of the alcohol?

What are your thoughts on cooking alcohol? Is it cheating?

I bought the Mirin when I still drank (1-2 years ago), and think that it would be a waste to throw it out, so I still continue to use it every now and again... but I started to wonder today about any ill effects it might have on me...

Dee74 01-27-2011 03:13 AM

This is one of those perennial threads Garp.
It's actually a misconception that the alcohol is completely cooked out.

Alcohol Burn-off Chart

Personally? I think it would be far more of a waste to use it, than to give it to someone else, or simply throw it out.

Garp 01-27-2011 03:23 AM

Thanks for the reply Dee -- I did not know that :/

I'll get rid of the bottle and see if I can find an alcohol free Mirin substitute...

Dee74 01-27-2011 03:30 AM

rice vinegar works fine - I use it myself :)

Alcohol Cooking Substitutions - Alcohol Substitute Recipes

D

Garp 01-27-2011 03:32 AM

Ah yes, of course. I have a bottle of Sushi vinegar... that will do the trick!

Mark75 01-27-2011 07:30 AM

What do people do for substituting sherry? I do miss the cooking sherry, uh, in the sauce.... not to get me sauced... ;)

CarolD 01-27-2011 07:56 AM

Mark.....

Booze Flavoring In Cooking
This was the September 2003 issue of theAA Grapevine.

Sweet or semisweet red wine - Carbonated cranberry drink.

Dry red wine - ½ cup carbonated cranberry drink, plus 1 Tbsp. lemon juice.

Sweet white wine - White grape juice plus 1 Tbsp. corn syrup.

Brandy - 1/4 cup apple juice plus 1 tsp brandy flavoring, or 1/4 cup apple cider with 1 tbsp peach or apricot syrup.

Rum - 1/4 cup apple juice plus 1 tbsp rum extract, or 1/4 cup pineapple juice or syrup flavored with 1 tbsp almond extract.

Sherry - Orange or pineapple juices with peach sirup.

Amaretto - 1 tbsp light corn syrup plus 1 tbsp almond extract and 1/4 cup clear apple juice.

Kirsch - Syrup or juices from cherries, raspberries, boysenberries, currnats or cider.

Creekryder 01-27-2011 08:08 AM

I, too, was unaware of the residual percentage of alcohol in cooking. Thx.

spqr 01-27-2011 08:31 AM

I only really cook Italian food with wine and i've never gotten anywhere near buzzed from it. I'd be more worried about having the remaining half bottle of wine sitting in the kitchen than anything else.

SSIL75 01-27-2011 10:06 AM

My husband still drinks so we have alcohol in the house. I have had wine in fondue, he puts wine in his veg stock and I think maybe in his tomato sauce, too. I definitely don't get a buzz from it so it's not a concern for me. I think like everything you just do what you need to do to stay sober. I avoid threats to my sobriety like the plague but just don't consider this one of them.

Reset 01-27-2011 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by SSIL75 (Post 2845964)
My husband still drinks so we have alcohol in the house. I have had wine in fondue, he puts wine in his veg stock and I think maybe in his tomato sauce, too. I definitely don't get a buzz from it so it's not a concern for me. I think like everything you just do what you need to do to stay sober. I avoid threats to my sobriety like the plague but just don't consider this one of them.

This is sort of how I look at it. I've cooked with wine and it since it doesn't give me a buzz it hasn't triggered any craving.

And now that I don't drink, it smells like something not meant to be consumed on its own- sort of like vinegar. It's actually kind of weird to think that I willfully drank stuff that resembles vinegar all of these years, and worse I convinced myself it tastes good.

CarolD 01-27-2011 04:30 PM

Hmm...
are we saying it's ok to eat or drink alcohol as long as
you dont get buzzed?
Wow! that is really odd.....:)

That is not the point. IMO
It has nothing to do with flavor or getting high or whatever.
When I say I'm a non drinker....I include not eating foods
prepared with alcohol.

I would be compelled to re-start my recovery if I did
:yup:

Anna 01-27-2011 04:54 PM

I'm with Carol on this one, for sure.

I never, and I mean never, have alcohol in the house for any reason.

mygrandfather 01-27-2011 05:29 PM

CarolID thanks for posting that substitution list...I have been looking for something like that!

Mattcake 01-27-2011 06:03 PM

I'm glad I never cooked with amaretto Oo

Amaretto - 1 tbsp light corn syrup plus 1 tbsp almond extract and 1/4 cup clear apple juice.
:scared:

I'd just use water or broth instead :p

FrothyJay 01-27-2011 06:11 PM

Why would anyone endanger their sobriety by "trying it and if you get buzzed, don't do it again?"

Once I'm buzzed, I'm likely off to the races.

There's no need to have alcohol. Period.

Kmber2010 01-27-2011 08:09 PM

I'm with Carol here. Out of respect for my spouse.....we do have alcohol in the home because he enjoys one every now and then but if it weren't for him and the fact he is very respectful about it......wouldn't have the garbage in the home either.

Make me a dish with alcohol in it.....I might unleash some whoopyarse....lol.

Thx for substitutions though.....I use broth quite a bit but good to see other alternatives :)

HFA 01-27-2011 08:30 PM

I used to make on mean Chicken Marsala. I do miss that dish. But not enough to have the wine in the house.

Reset 01-27-2011 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by FrothyJay (Post 2846392)
Why would anyone endanger their sobriety by "trying it and if you get buzzed, don't do it again?"

Who said that?

Antiderivative 01-27-2011 10:24 PM

I don't cook with alcohol, but I don't go out of my way to avoid it if someone else does or if I am going out to eat and a particular meal may have it. I never had a problem with it, but I don't speak for everyone.

I don't think there is a consensus on this matter. Just don't do anything that will jeopardize your sobriety.