Notices

Veterans rehab program

Old 01-26-2011, 10:33 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Veterans rehab program info?

Hello, my name is Dan.

I'm looking for information about the Veterans Administration addiction treatment program, and I can't find any info about the program online. I am a veteran and eligible to go to rehab, but i do not know what that treatment will entail. I'm hoping to hear from somebody who has actually been through the program.

It's been almost 15 years since I got out of the navy, and I've sought treatment through other avenues, with very disappointing results. Both times I was placed in a "recovery house" but never a rehab center. Most of the people I met in those recovery houses were not the kind of people I want to associate with. I sought help and was thrown into a community full of ex-cons, violent criminals, and sex offenders. I have vowed not to put myself in a situation like that again. I decided that there was no help for me, and I'd be better off managing my habit. That was 3 years ago.

However, my habit is becoming unmanageable. I'm up to a 12 pack of beer a day and I use synthetic cannabinoids daily. My habit is taking up most all of my time leading to reduced productivity.I'm also worried about my health. If the VA program works, then I'd like to give it a try.

My questions:

How long is the program and is there a waiting list to get in?

Can I use the internet while in rehab?

- I work online and need to check email everyday. I also need several online hours for work on Saturday and Sunday.

Will I loose my driver's license?

- A doctor once told me he could diagnose me as an addict, but then I would lose my driver's license. Losing the drivers license is not an option.

Are there any other scarlet letters that might follow me after rehab?

I appreciate any information you might be able to share.

BTW, the treatment center I'm considering is in Chillicothe Ohio.

Thanks.

-Dan
Old 01-26-2011, 11:07 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Thank you for your military service....Welcome...

I have no experience with your situation....I went straight into AA
for my recovery from active alcoholism. Works well for me...

Off hand...I suggest you contact the specific center and ask
them about your concerns.

You could also check with your local DAV -vFW-Am. Legion
ask if they have info on your options or a national service rep.

Hope you can find your way....recovery really rocks...
Old 01-26-2011, 11:28 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you for the welcome CarolD

I thought about contacting the VA directly, but I was hoping to hear from somebody who has been through the process first. I'm a bit distrustful of government agencies.

I'm glad the AA thing is working out for you. I've been to AA meetings, but I never really connected with anybody there. I had religious issues at the time. I could probably deal with that angle of it now, but I told myself I would never go back after the last "recovery house" disaster. Oh course I've told myself I'm never going to drink again quite a few times too, and that never worked out. Haha!

Thanks for the response.

Dan
Old 01-26-2011, 11:49 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Laurie ...
You Google faster than me....:

Dan ...AA is not the only recovery option heere is a list of others

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...formation.html

We also have sR members who are sucessffully sober without a structured program.
Keep checking back with us....they will be along too....
Old 01-26-2011, 12:04 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks Laurie,

I did quite a bit of googleing before posting here. I was unable to find any info about the actual program, which is strange. You'd think that information would be readily available.

Dan
Old 01-26-2011, 12:23 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I have no experience to share I'm afraid, but welcome to SR Dan

D
Old 01-26-2011, 05:53 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi D,

Thank you for the welcome.

Hopefully somebody who has been through the VA thing will come along. I found one post about it on a veterans forum, but it was negative and lacking in any detail. I did not post a question there because my email would have been public, with links to facebook and whatnot.
Old 01-26-2011, 06:31 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

We have a few veterans - I hope they'll see this and may be able to help

D
Old 01-26-2011, 06:36 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'm not a veteran but want to welcome you to the family.
Old 01-26-2011, 08:29 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I have been to inpatient rehab, and I believe this program you are considering is pretty much the same thing (they all pretty much are). I will just give a brief description of my experience.

Rehab is just like it sounds Rehabilitation. There is no internet, you cannot use the phones for a week (but this varies). You are woke up at 6 a.m. and you go to classes until 9 at night. You learn coping mechanisms mainly, the dangers of drugs and alcohol, people places and things, etc. And no, you will not lose your drivers license for going into rehab. Most programs are 28 days, but some are 45 and some are even higher, mine was a 28 day program.

It sounds like they placed you in a half-way house, which is 6 months to a year. That is a completely different type of treatment, that is more of a staying sobre place than a recovery center.

Hope that helps a little, if you have any more questions please feel free to ask! I will pray for you!
Old 01-26-2011, 08:50 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

welcome whatisit to SR

l went to a 28 day inpatient program but it may not apply to you as it was in a different country.
l can tell you though it was completely confidential and a medical certificate was given stating only "unfit for work".
The internet and mobile phone use was available after the day's counselling programs had finished and we were also allowed visitors outside program hours. (in fact family participation was encouraged).
The rehab included counselling, AA, mindfullness and meditation, there is also a comprehensive outpatient program once the 28 days was completed.
l've said this before on this site, going to rehab was the best decision l have ever made!
l think getting in touch with the rehab centre would be the best as you would be able get all the information you require.
Hope this helps

In order to change we must be
sick and tired of being sick and tired.
Author Unknown
Old 02-09-2011, 03:56 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Bump

Not that I'm planning to go anymore. I think I've been holding onto the idea of rehab as an excuse to drink today, "I'll go to rehab tomorrow."

The whole rehab thing sounds like a floundering waste of time and money. I've been sober for 48 hours no DTs, so I probably don't need any medical help. I'm still curious about the program though if anybody knows.
Old 02-09-2011, 04:25 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

congratulations on your first 48 hours

D
Old 02-09-2011, 05:07 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Please be gentle with yourself..early sobriety is often difficult...

How do you feel about AA? I did that without connecting to
a treatment center.and I still find recovery beneficial in all
areas of my life....
Old 02-09-2011, 05:55 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I'm also new here, and am what in the old days was referred to as a "military dependent". I contacted the substance abuse office on the local military post, and was referred to a treatment center not too far from our area. That did not work out well for me! (Left the facility after six days because of some of the reasons you mentioned.)

Some of the better facilities do not accept insurance. However, you might be able to work with tricare and file your claims after the fact and be reimbursed for the cost. Tricare paid most of my detox costs up front, but not the cost of the actually rehab facility.

Hope that helps!