Notices

Medical detox not always an option!

Old 01-26-2011, 05:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Medical detox not always an option!

Not to ruffle any feathers here, but I keep seeing anyone asking about withdrawal/detoxing being told to call their dr or go to the ER or seek medical attention.

That is not always possible. Some people do not have money or health insurance, or a way to get to a hospital, etc. And not just any hospital/ER will help you, either!

My experience:
Couple years ago, I quit cold turkey a heavy alcohol habit (daily gallon a day) and ativan ,thoridazine (prescribed but abused) and some other benzos (xanax I think). I got w/d`s REALLY bad. I called my dr. who had prescribed the stuff (the thoridazine I had been taking for like over 10 years, not knowing it was addicting) and I told him what was happening and he coldly said "I cannot help you - go to Hampton hospital (a super expensive rehab), don`t come here - I won`t do anything for you".

Gee thanks doc. To sick to drive, I called my 82 year old mother and told her I was addicted to drugs and alcohol and needed to go to the ER. Gah...
Then when I got there - I was put in the mental section for about 7 hrs and they basically did nothing and said "we don`t do detox here" and discharged me. I went home to my apartment alone.

I had NO job, no insureance and NO money. I spent the next 2 days trying to find a place in my state that could admit me. Most said they don`t do benzo withdrawal and there was only one or two that would take someone with no money or insurance and they were like 2-3 hours away. And I don`t live in a rural area.

So I had to just do it alone. My mom came by everyday and brought me yogurt which was all I could get down. Eventually I recovered, but I didn`t sleep for what seemed like weeks...

Of course I used again, and yada yada...
I didn`t have seizures that time --but I had them years later. Still do. (mixing booze and anti-depressants, especially wellbutrin) I think.

And I can`t stand the sight of yogurt.
Heh.

Just sayin`!
Old 01-26-2011, 06:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Trudging that road.

You are so right. I was coming down off of my DOC and the hospital told me to go to detox. The one in my town was not a medical one so I was referred to another city. That one was way busy so they told me I had to call for 3 days in a row in the morning, and then they would put me on a list. I would guess it is because to many people aren't serious, and its one way to find out who is? I have told people to seek medical attention but that's because there really isn't much you can say. Then sometimes if someone is gonna have a seisure or something like that the hospital will help, its the only place I feel safe telling people to go to. Keep the Faith
Old 01-26-2011, 06:15 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

I hear you, but I think the only responsible thing to SAY on a message board is 'be medically supervised' because who wants to be held liable for giving you some at home detox regimen, right? The rest then is personal responsibility.
Old 01-26-2011, 06:28 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

That's a bummer indeed. I'd think an ER would be aware of the dangers of w/d and would at least give cursory treatment, a shot of ativan or something to offset the possibility of seizures/stroke/high BP... And your doctor was less than helpful, the jerk. Was it the same doc who put you on benzos? If so, he's even more of a jerk.
Old 01-26-2011, 06:40 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Wow, that does suck. I detoxed at a crisis center this last time, so I know all about unmedicated detox and all the fun it entails. I think like others have said though, the only responsible advice we can give is to seek the help of a doctor. It's not to assume everyone has that option, we are just not allowed to give medical advice.

Can you call a nurse? Sometimes they will tell you what you can do to make your detox safer.
Old 01-26-2011, 09:57 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

In this country, by law, no hospital ER can turn you away without treating you to some extent. If you have a life threatening condition, and you did, then they have to admit you for treatment and keep you there until the threat is over. In your case, until you've safely detoxed. If you were consuming the quantities of drugs and alcohol you claimed, you were at serious risk for life threatening detox. By law they had to treat you. Why they threw you out is anybody's guess, buy it was against the law. Your doctor's response is typical, unfortunately. Nothin' you can do there but switch doctors.

But now I have a question. You said you of course used again and are still having seizures from certain drugs you took. Are you still using or drinking? If so, why? Or have you come to think you never want to go through that again? Just curious.
Old 01-26-2011, 11:22 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Here is our sR Rule concerning medical advice...
10. Medical Advice: No Posts giving medical advice, medication advice, or psychiatric advice. Do not use the forum to give or ask for professional medical or psychiatric advice. If you are a medical professional, please remember the forums and chat are for peer support only and not to be used for distributing professional medical advice and/or using the forum to represent your professional services. Medical and Psychiatric advice includes giving a diagnosis, treatment plan, medication advice and dosage suggestions, over the counter and natural home remedies that should be approved by medical professionals. Detox can be dangerous and life threatening at times. Please consult with your physician.
We also have a link about de toxing from alcohol with info
and some of our experiences here....

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html

While this may not suit everyone's specific needs or situation.......I think it's very clear
that yes....withdrawal from alcohol can be dangerous if you do so alone.

BTW...my de tox experience is on that link and I did do it without professional assistance.
I was too and had no idea it was risky.
Old 01-26-2011, 12:31 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

My experience is I detoxed at home the last time in 2007...suffered a series of mini strokes, and nearly died.

I will always have the legacy of that last home detox with me.

My story is by no means unique.

I was lucky really, as people can, and do die, from alcohol withdrawal.

D
Old 01-26-2011, 01:07 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

Well, isn't it the right thing to do to advise people to try to detox with medical supervision?

Of course not all can and/or will do it, but don't you think the advice should be to do it the safest way possible?

...and in reading your post, your doctor did tell you where to go, but you went to the ER instead. You said you had no job, no money, and no insurance. That's up to you to have, that's not anybody elses fault.

I could be totally wrong, but it doesn't seem like you're taking any responsability here.

(said with kindness)

Kjell
Old 01-26-2011, 03:02 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

This thread might also be about the US medical system and its many bad aspects.
I sincerely hope that the US sorts out it's medical system issues and begins to provide people with good care without costing them a fortune.

I left the US and moved to Europe...completely without medical coverage. I needed expensive meds and had to pay for them myself, my last employer in the US refused to participate in a medical insurance plan: I had no medical insurance.
If I was in a car accident or injured on the job, I would have had to pay for my hospital fees completely at cost, without any insurance.

Thank goodness lorraine that you survived your home detox.
I think we do have an issue in the US about personal responsibility: lots of people don't have coverage and they should. They are even willing to pay, but the various plans and coverage don't always give them what they need.

sorry if I am having a rant here, but I have an excellent health system that is guaranteed here including detox and rehab services that I have used and has helped me tremendously.
Old 01-26-2011, 06:57 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Yes, lots of people in power say "Go get help", but there is no help for those without money or friends with money. Even when I had insurance there was no help. Medical passed me off to a psychologist, who recommended me to a recovery house, which offered no medical help and was run by an ex-con with violent mannerisms.

Lots a people saying "Get help!", but where is the help?
Old 01-26-2011, 07:40 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

A lot of places have free clinics - google free clinic and your local area.

I'm not an American but I understand a lot of help is available through various government programmes too - anybody having trouble accessing medical care needs to check out those kind of options at federal and state/county level and see if they're eligible.

A lot of ERs do take patients - I've seen the stories here myself.

There may be options on this website too
I Hate My Life

This is a nationwide listing of rehabs - a lot of them are subsidied or offer low costs...click state and find out your options

http://dasis3.samhsa.gov/

and sometimes...however much it might cost...if there's no other option professional medical care is worth it.

It's your life you're talking about here.
D
Old 01-26-2011, 09:13 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I know for me I needed that damn Librium or I would almost go into alcohol shock and could give Muhammad Ali a run for his money. But then again... some people are sicker than others. I was a liter a day guy who would rarely eat and weighed a whopping 130 pounds. I wouldn't advise not going into detox.
Old 01-27-2011, 04:55 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Originally Posted by joedris View Post
In this country, by law, no hospital ER can turn you away without treating you to some extent. If you have a life threatening condition, and you did, then they have to admit you for treatment and keep you there until the threat is over. In your case, until you've safely detoxed. If you were consuming the quantities of drugs and alcohol you claimed, you were at serious risk for life threatening detox. By law they had to treat you. Why they threw you out is anybody's guess, buy it was against the law. Your doctor's response is typical, unfortunately. Nothin' you can do there but switch doctors.
Spot on. Although I would file a complaint against the doctor with the board.

In the US, call 911. Period. If they don't treat you, and you clearly had a life-threatening condition, you have grounds to sue.
Old 01-27-2011, 05:31 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kjell View Post
Well, isn't it the right thing to do to advise people to try to detox with medical supervision?

If they can, sure. But by the time they get here, I`m sure they already know that.

Of course not all can and/or will do it, but don't you think the advice should be to do it the safest way possible?

The same canned response to every post IMO opinion is not advice.

...and in reading your post, your doctor did tell you where to go, but you went to the ER instead. You said you had no job, no money, and no insurance. That's up to you to have, that's not anybody elses fault.

Yeah he told me where to go. Someplace where I could not possibly be admitted. I don`t have 15 grand in my pocket, at the moment. Do YOU? I guess the millions of Americans without health insurance (even WITH jobs!) should just suck it up too.

I could be totally wrong, but it doesn't seem like you're taking any responsability here.

Responsibility for what? That help was not readily available? I`m responsible for the health care system?

(said with kindness)

Pfffft.........
Hey, all I posted was what happened to ME.
Old 01-27-2011, 06:02 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

"You said you had no job, no money, and no insurance. That's up to you to have, that's not anybody elses fault."

Yeah, get a job you lazy bum. After ninety days you will be eligible for health insurance, provided you can pass a drugs test. Oh wait, you are sick and need help before you can get a job. Guess you should just give up and die. It's your own fault right.
Old 01-27-2011, 08:01 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Wow, this thread has gotten rather nasty. Lets be nice, please!!!!

I think that as alcoholics and addicts, we are entitled to health care.

I never needed health care related to my alcoholism in the US. When I was still living in the US, my health care needs were not alcohol related. I had pregnancy issues....(was not covered, even though I thought I was, yay, how fun is that...and I have a chronic endocrine disease.)

But....being without a job, that happened to me. Which automatically left me without health insurance.

As long as health care in the US is job dependent, it will leave millions without health care. This is a burning issue for me because I always worked. But, that did not guarantee me health care. As I said, my last employer in the US flat out refused to pay for a health care plan.

Should we blame people for being without healthcare because they are unemployed, or because their employer refuses to provide it?
Old 01-27-2011, 12:40 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

lets all chill guys.
We're all the same side here.

D