Notices

I need detox advice

Old 01-25-2011, 10:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I need detox advice

So I'm pretty certain I'm going to need to go to a detox center for withdrawl, as it's only been a day or two since my last drink (and 3 days since my last heavy binge) and I'm already experiencing sweat of the hands and feet, nausea, diarhea, sleeping problems, and anxiety. I can't tell if I'm going to go into the real bad withdrawl, but I'd rather not if i can avoid it obviously. Problem is, is there is only one hospital in my area that does it, and the person that turned me into a heavy drinker in the first place works there! I'm on exceedingly hostile terms with him for the way he treated me (once my best friend turned backstabber) so I'd do essentially anything to avoid seeing him, especially in that setting. So I guess does anyone have any advice on this? I know it's a strange scenario, but I want help, just not at the risk of running into that individual.
Old 01-25-2011, 11:08 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Check your PM message box, AJ.
Old 01-25-2011, 11:13 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi AJ - couldn't you just go to your regular dr. to get checked out? I ran into trouble with my blood pressure spiking way out of control, so it's good you're concerned. Congratulations on your decision to do this, though!
Old 01-25-2011, 11:34 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yeah I tried that once, and she wanted to just send me to a psychiatrist, but I like the moron that I am ignored the advice and was drinking again. This time I think I need actual detox though, and I'm just hoping to find a place that can do it that isn't the hospital where that ex-friend works.
Old 01-25-2011, 11:53 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hang in there. Drink a ton of water and please go to the ER regardless of any affiliation with whomever. You take care of you first. I'm blurting out advice that I need to give to myself, but its true. Best of luck.
Old 01-25-2011, 12:10 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

There is one in Milwaukee:

Aurora Sheboygan Memorial Medical Center
- 1 review - Place page
www.aurorahealthcare.org - 2629 North 7th Street, Sheboygan - (920) 451-5000
Genesis Behavioral Services Inc: Detox Center
- Place page
maps.google.com - 2835 N 32nd St, Milwaukee, Wisconsin - (414) 342-620

I suspect the Aurora Sheboygan Medical Center is the one you don't want to go to. Can someone get you to Milwaukee??

I do know of several folks that have gone through the one in Milwaukee and they were very helpful in helping the individuals with 'follow up' after the initial detox.

I am originally from that area (Waukesha County) and still have friends in Wisconsin.

Hope that helps.

Love and hugs,
Old 01-25-2011, 12:11 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Here's some info about w/d and our experiences with it. Do seek medical help if you start feeling really badly, no matter who works there.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html
Old 01-25-2011, 01:22 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by laurie6781 View Post
There is one in Milwaukee:

Aurora Sheboygan Memorial Medical Center
- 1 review - Place page
Aurora Health Care - Wisconsin hospitals, doctors and clinics - 2629 North 7th Street, Sheboygan - (920) 451-5000
Genesis Behavioral Services Inc: Detox Center
- Place page
maps.google.com - 2835 N 32nd St, Milwaukee, Wisconsin - (414) 342-620

I suspect the Aurora Sheboygan Medical Center is the one you don't want to go to. Can someone get you to Milwaukee??

I do know of several folks that have gone through the one in Milwaukee and they were very helpful in helping the individuals with 'follow up' after the initial detox.

I am originally from that area (Waukesha County) and still have friends in Wisconsin.

Hope that helps.

Love and hugs,

I did notice them and yeah I could get there, but would there practice cover someone from sheboygan county? Or would they just turn me away? I'm starting to not care as much, because this nausea and whatnot is becoming very debilitating
Old 01-25-2011, 01:25 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Please take action and take care of yourself.

Go to an ER if you need to. After all, your friend can't work all day, every day.

The main thing is caring for your health.
Old 01-25-2011, 02:42 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

I absolutely agree with everyone here AJ - nothing else is as important as your health.
If you need help, please get it - let nothing stand in your way.

D
Old 01-25-2011, 02:48 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

ditto, get a Doc
Old 01-26-2011, 10:08 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

At the moment I'm almost 3 full days in again, and the worst I'm feeling at the moment is a twitch at night, sweats, and nightmares. I have a friend coming over tonight, so that'll be nice in case something happens with the 48 hour mark coming up. What is also nice, is that the very notion of drinking repulses me, and I'm working off of that to keep sober
Old 01-26-2011, 10:24 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I drank cans of gingerale and plenty of water. I ate regular and accepted the sleeping would have to be learned over, since drunks are generally ready to pass out when they hit the sack. If you're 3 days into this already, I would just ride it out and not let my mind play games with me. If there's an emergency, you call 911. If you've already got 72 hours without alcohol in your system, has been clean for at least 48 hours.

Of course there's always the doctor. Maybe they will suggest something else. But getting to where you are now is the result of one thing... not drinking alcohol. That's all it takes.
Old 01-26-2011, 12:07 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Yeah, I may have also picked up a bug, because I've had bad nausea and diarhea for like 3 days now, so I'm going in to get that checked at least. Has anyone else had this for this long after not drinking?
Old 01-26-2011, 12:22 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think you're wise to see a SR, AJ - nausea and diarrhea for that long needs some attention...there could be a any number of things going on.

Hope you feel better soon.
D
Old 02-11-2011, 03:57 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

So apparently what the doctor thinks, is he thinks I have gastritis which is often caused by excessive alcohol abuse. Has anyone else ever picked up a nasty illness as result of their drinking? Because this one really sucks! I havent had a full meal in almost 3 weeks because of it.
Old 02-11-2011, 04:05 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think we all abuse our bodies when we're drinking.

I have heard of people having gastritis and it does sound difficult. I hope you feel better.
Old 02-11-2011, 04:45 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hey, 3 days and it gets better. There is no question that u are over the worst of it. just keep eating fruit and ice cream. As much of those foods as you can. And plenty of water and a bit of gentle exercise. I promise you that u will feel 100 times better soon!
Old 02-12-2011, 07:37 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Ice cream?? Really? Lol thats kind of funny actually!