Notices

allow me to introduce myself

Old 01-24-2011, 11:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

allow me to introduce myself

hello all. i am new here, so forgive me if it takes a while before i become real familiar with the way things work here.
i am unitas (same name, but no, not related to the famous colts quarterback).
i was a drunk for 35 years. i got sober on june 12, 2009 after having an alcohol withdrawl seizure that landed me in the e.r.
it scared me into finally quitting. i had wanted to quit for a few years, but never got the wake-up call i needed 'till that happened.
quit cold-turkey to the amazement of everyone who knew me.
i have been doing fine, but i have recently been having some troubles, so i thought joining up here might help me find some answers, as most of my "friends" are still drinkers and don't quite understand what i'm going through. i have not wanted to drink, that isn't part of my "troubles".
it's just now that the "newness" of the sober lifestyle has kinda worn off, and i am becoming aware of some trouble in adjusting to the life, ya know?
so anyway... that's my story, or some of it anyway.
hopefully some of you here can help me out with some things, and maybe i can be of some help to someone else in return.
so... i'm gonna go look around in here a while, so we'll see y'all later.
just dropped in to say "hi".
Old 01-24-2011, 11:41 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Welcome to SR!
Old 01-24-2011, 11:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. Best recovery site everywhere, in my opinion. For me, the 'newness' of sobriety is present every single morning I wake up feeling good. I hope you can find what you need here. I've found so much support and it's been very helpful to me.
Old 01-24-2011, 11:45 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Well I dropped in on your thread to say hi too. So, HI!

I'm sorry to hear alcohol had u in wraps to where you suffered a seizure. Truths like this shows what a poison alcohol really is. I'm in my mid 20's and hearing stories like "if you don't stop now it will be harder and harder on your body to quit, even deadlier" made me quit drinking all together. I wasn't a fifth of vodka through the day drinker, but I would drink at night till I would go to bed and pass out, so I was on the verge..

I hear yah on the friends. I'm only a week in, and some of my friends I just casually mentioned I stopped drinking. I didn't bring up specifics, just that i'm busy with my work and classes, don't have time and just tired of waking up the next day tired and "bleh". My best friend understood, while others just said "umm ok" like my drinking was soo different from theirs. This change will really make you re think what's important in life, all the way down to long time friends.

I might sound young to chime in on "life troubles", but I think in this world (economy, career opportunities, social trends, etc.) life is hard period. Sober or not this life we live in can throw some real curve balls. Some of the things we notice in life might make zero sense to us, and make you upset or angry, but you still have to deal with it. The issue at hand is how we deal with it. Here on this forum the majority of us tried the bottle to put off issues, or try to even use it to fix them. Problem? It never works. So here we are.

In my early sobriety I have cut out some things. I have some friends that are girls (not GF) lol, and this time I am just chatting with them. Before I would love to start a relationship, but I find myself getting involved too quickly, and get upset. This area has been a major "forget it for now, let's just drink it off". I guess you can call it a trigger. So this aspect in life I kind of put off for now.

I'm rambling. Just wanted to say you can make friends here that care. Life is hard no matter what, just how you deal with it (I take the dogs for a walk, or at night get in the jacuzzi turn off all the lights and chill out). Finally, any main aspects in life that bring you down and aren't crucial like supporting yourself and your children, etc. Just distance yourself some while you re adjust to life.

Take care unitas. You're doing great!

D
Old 01-24-2011, 11:59 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi, I am from Baltimore so your name caught my attention. We loved Johnny
Old 01-24-2011, 11:59 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR! I'm sure you'll find plenty of friends here who understand exactly what you're going through. Amazing how we can all be so different, yet so much the same!
Old 01-24-2011, 12:39 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Unitas, welcome to SR. I stumbled onto this site nearly 2 years after I quit drinking and it's been a blessing. I never used any formal program to quit drinking just quit and did do a lot of work on myself but yeah the "newness of recovery" wore off. Just reading posts here on SR has been a constant source of support and a reminder of where I don't want to go and where I've been. Also, once in a great while someone will send me a message and tell me that I helped them by something I posted and knowing that I helped someone even just 1 person 1 time makes it all worthwhile. Hope you stick around and post often.
Old 01-24-2011, 01:00 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

thanks for the friendly "welcome aboard".
i'm sure i'll be seeing you in the forums.
'till then...
Old 01-24-2011, 01:04 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

You might want to consider AA for a while and see if that program helps you. There's a lot of support in those rooms from people who've gone through exactly what you're experiencing. No dues, no fees and lousy coffee, and a lot of people who would be willing to help you.
Old 01-24-2011, 01:50 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi unitas

Yeah I had thought that just getting sober would fix everything...but I found that just being sober wasn't enough for me...I still felt discontent.

For me I figured out I had a lot of underlying issues and problems that drinking had masked for a long time.

It was like the sea went out and I was left with all this debris to clean up.

I sorted through the debris piece by piece

I found a lot of advice and support here tho....I finally found some serenity - I'm confortable with who I am and what I do

You might want to consider some of the things others have done - some use AA, some use counselling, others use meditation, others use service work, helping others... I'm sure you'll get more suggestions too...

Welcome to SR

D