Notices

First weekend sober!!

Old 01-24-2011, 09:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First weekend sober!!

Hi all, I just wanted to tell everyone that I spent my first entire weekend SOBER! The first weekend in probably at least 6 years. It was really hard.
My partner (who just found out about my alcoholism) yelled at me all evening on Friday. She's struggling pretty hard with this. She thinks I'll meet someone new at AA. Hahahaha!

But it was also amazing.
I remember every minute of it.
I got a lot done.
I slept great.
I went to 3 AA meetings (still feeling them out to see if they fit for me)
I saw my therapist for the second time

I felt rather down, I won't deny it. I went to a baby shower where they were serving mimosas. My partner and a friend each had a glass of wine during our dinner on Saturday. Each of those things made me so sad. I grieve the loss of alcohol in my life. But I am sober and my partner and friends let me know how great it is. I'm off to another AA meeting tonight and a therapy appointment tomorrow.
Old 01-24-2011, 10:15 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Riding Barefoot

Amazing, isn't it? In fact, I was thinking just last night about how I had just wrapped up my EIGHTH sober weekend... unbelievable! I hadn't gone 8 weekends sober in over a decade. Who am I kidding?!?! I probably hadn't gone ONE weekend sober in over a decade. But it's really great, spending weekends sober and remembering everything, actually accomplishing things, noticing things, and not feeling like crap. Good work!
Old 01-24-2011, 01:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

congrats silly! that first one is the hardest, especially when there are drinks on the table. there will be alot of ups and downs, it ain't easy, and there will be times when you don't know if you can stay sober because there is a fair amount of sadness from time to time, but every time you get sad, just think about why you quit in the first place. you weren't happy when you were drinking. so hang in there, and congratulations again on weekend #1.
p.s.
don't let your partner yell at you about this. YOU are the one doing the struggling! this is a hard thing to do, and she needs to be kept aware of that. she should be supportive of you.
Old 01-24-2011, 01:22 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats and hugs on your sober weekend!! Isn't it wonderful to wake up not feeling horrible?
Old 01-24-2011, 01:36 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congrats!!!! Wonderful feeling isn't it!!!!!! it only gets better!!!!
Old 01-24-2011, 01:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations - that's a great step

D
Old 01-24-2011, 01:47 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks, Unitas. Deep down I know it's true. She's being selfish. But she's also hurt and confused about my lying. What hurt me more than anything is that she said straight out she wasn't going to change her habits just because of me. That was tough to take... I hope she comes around. She's not a big drinker anyway but, I guess that makes it all the harder. And in the same conversation she's telling me wants to lose weight and we have to get rid of all unhealthy food. and I thought, BAM! I could easily say "no, I'm not throwing out the ice cream. I'm not changing my habits for you". What's the difference? I think she got the point.
I met a woman at AA the other night that summed it up for her and it works for me too. She was talking about her husband when she said "he lost his drinking buddy". It's true. And my partner has lost two because her best friend got sober 7 months ago.
Anyway, I hope to stay connected with the woman I met at my first meeting. We have a lot in common.
Old 01-24-2011, 02:34 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

hey silly,
yeah, i am going through something similar with my wife.
for 20 years we sat around the kitchen table, listening to music, talking, laughing and getting drunk. since i quit a year and a half ago, she has cut down, but still drinks. she said the same thing "don't expect me to quit just because you did" and now can't understand why i get bored and have to go find something else to do. i feel bad that she lost her "drinking buddy", and it certainly has put a bit of a strain on our relationship, but i can't understand why she gets so angry with me. she doesn't understand that it's uncomfortable for me to be around her when she get's drunk.
that's one of the the wierdest thing about being sober, you realize how quickly someone goes from that nice "3-beer buzz" to "obnoxious slurring mess". i never noticed that when i was the drunk.
i love her, but i can't be around when she hits beer #6.
hang in there.