Notices

Newer than new

Old 01-24-2011, 06:13 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Newer than new

Just joined a few minutes ago. Been looking for forums to talk. This looks like one of the better ones. I'm a functioning alcoholic. Not sure about my level of addiction. My father was an alcoholic. My brother drank himself to death. could be in the genes.
I'm at a point in my life where I need a connection, a soul mate, a brother or sister. I think a by product of our mobile society is that never make the connections like the ones we had growing up. For example, most of my facebook connections are friends from high school. I digress.
My hope here is that I can find some people to talk to. Especially toward the end of the day when the witching hour approaches. I have a great wife and son and all in all a pretty good life.. I don't want to screw it up.
I've read many self help books, been to counseling, etc. can't seem to find what's missing. thanks for listening
Old 01-24-2011, 06:31 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, ydahs! I found this site the day I stopped drinking.

Some people like me use these forums as their primary means of support, but lots of people find face-to-face programs like AA or Smart Recovery essential to success. Spend some time and read—you'll find a lot of insight here!
Old 01-24-2011, 06:49 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks for the reply, right now I see myself using SR as primary support.
I've never used something like this so I'm learning as I go.
Old 01-24-2011, 06:57 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
a hole new life

Welcome

You are most welcome. You will find lots of help and advice and friends if you want to. Have a good look round, loads to read and learn. think about AA though, not for me, but gave it a go and certainly didn't do me any harm.My brother though loves it!! we are all the same but so different. good luck.
Old 01-24-2011, 07:23 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Question?

do people stay on this site all day? does one come and go? All of the above? Just trying to figure it out
Old 01-24-2011, 07:24 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome to the forum, ydahs - I use this place as my primary support and it's made all the difference. It's great to have a place to come when the urges hit (the "witching hour" as you say).

I'm sorry to hear about your brother. Alcoholism definitely runs in families. It's good that you're addressing your problem now - so give yourself a pat on the back. This is a progressive and deadly disease, but people are turning their lives around every day. You can too!

Hope to see you around the forum.
Old 01-24-2011, 07:26 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Originally Posted by ydahs View Post
do people stay on this site all day? does one come and go? All of the above? Just trying to figure it out
My first few days of sobriety I hung around 24/7! Everyone's a little different, but I find that being here at least once a day keeps me grounded in recovery. It's all up to you!
Old 01-24-2011, 07:32 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome ydahs! I use SR as my support system. Today is 24 days sober!!! The first week was the toughest so just hang in there. I have found SR to be sooooo helpful. Finally after drinking alcoholically for years and years, I found people on this site that completely understand the struggles I was going thru.

Depending on the type of day I'm having, is how many times I'm on here. Best of luck and again, welcome!!

Mary
Old 01-24-2011, 07:37 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Riding Barefoot

ydahs, this place helps a lot! What else are you doing to try and stay sober? My suggestion, if you are unsure at this point, is to stick around here and try different things until you find what works for you. I think the general consensus is that putting down the drink is not usually enough... you must get out there and embrace life as well. Come here as often as you need to. There is a lot of wisdom and experience here. Good luck.
Old 01-24-2011, 12:06 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Yep, SR is open 24/7. We have members in the Americas, Europe, and a disproportionately high number of Aussies and Kiwis (just kidding guys!), so there's someone online somewhere in the world at all times.
Old 01-24-2011, 12:55 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the best recovery site everywhere. I'm here a lot as I'm at home a lot. SR and my weekly counseling are my primary means of sober support and after a year, I'm quite comfortable living sober. I'm glad you found us and joined the family.
Old 01-24-2011, 01:19 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear about your brother. My father and brother both found recovery in AA, my father died sober. Brother has been for 25 years, myself only 2.4 years or so...

You feel your missing something? You've looked into counseling, self-help books, etc... Have you considered a spiritual (not religious, born again or any of that....) solution? Often we find that a "hole in the soul" is what we've been trying to fill with alcohol.

Welcome to SR!! Keep posting!!
Old 01-24-2011, 01:33 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome ydahs!

You will find awesome people and support here.

My experience has been that "functioning alcoholic" is a stage of alcoholism, not a type of alcoholic.

As has been said, alcoholism is progressive.

I also lost my brother to addiction and know how painful it is.

This site is shared by so many of us who are going (or have gone) through what you're going through...including uncertainty about our own drinking habits and what it means.

So ask away and come and "talk" any time you need to vent or just think out loud. It's a great release and everyone is very supportive.

Someone recently said it well: "We're the same in many ways, but yet so different." All we can do is share our own experiences.

Many times, that's enough.
Old 01-24-2011, 01:37 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

ydahs, It definitely runs in the family. I can relate. I have several family members who died drinking and drugging. It has no boundaries. I've been reading the forums for about a month now and just posted today. I'm kinda going through hell right now myself, but sticking on here and reading has been huge today. Don't know about tomorrow - probably going to try and go to a meeting if I can stomach it - literally. Haven't been able to eat. Hang in there. A month from now we could both could be in a much better place.
Old 01-24-2011, 01:42 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome ydahs

You'll definitely find a multitude of people here to talk to

Use SR as little or as much as you like - I tend to think the more regularly you use it the better tho

Hope to see you round some more
D
Old 01-24-2011, 03:28 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hey, joboo, welcome aboard! If your experience is anything like mine, you're right: in a month you will both be feeling so much better, it will truly amaze you. My sober life is not all sunshine and songbirds, but heck, just sleeping well and waking up clear-headed makes a huge difference in my day. Most of all it's great to feel like I'm in charge of my own life, instead of everything revolving around a stupid beverage.
Old 01-24-2011, 11:56 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to our recovery community...

You mentioned books...I suggest you get a copy of
"Under The Influence" by Milam and Ketcham.
It's my favorite handbook on the disease of alcoholism.
Amazon usually carries it.. ..and it has a sequel
"Beyond The Influence" by Ketcham and ???.

Sorry to know you lost your brother and of your Dad's situation.

Blessings to you and your wife and son.
Old 01-25-2011, 12:15 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

welcome ydhas to SR
l'm fairly new to this site as well but a little over 21 months sober.
l check in every day there's so much wisdom here and support

Since l've joined l've spent ages reading the posts and information and use this site as a big part of my recovery program.

because different time zones there are always new posts to read
keep posting and reading

No-one achieves sucess does so without the help of others.
The wise and confident acknowledge this help with gratitude.
Alfred North Whitehead
Old 01-25-2011, 06:02 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Question?

Is there a way to have a "sponsor" on this site? Someone you know you could talk to on a regular basis?? Maybe a specific time of day could be arranged???
Old 01-25-2011, 02:40 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

We don't have anything official like that ydahs, but maybe you'll find someone who's interested & can help

You can always post here, anytime you like

D