Notices

just quit

Old 01-23-2011, 10:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

just quit

I quit drinking 2 weeks ago and was surprised how easy it was. I have been a moderate to heavy drinker for 10 years and thought quitting would be difficult. So far I haven't had any symptoms or discomfort. Is this a typical experience?
Old 01-23-2011, 10:29 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A work in progress

I'd say it isn't "typical", but it wasn't all that difficult for me, either, after the first few days.

The danger would be in concluding that because it wasn't a struggle to quit it's OK to try drinking again, that you can easily stop anytime you want. I know several people who went that route and found that the next attempt was almost impossibly difficult and for some of them it took years and years to finally quit again.

So I'd say you should be grateful it wasn't too difficult but don't take it for granted that it would be that easy the next time. Do whatever you can to make sure you keep that gift of sobriety. I find AA is just the ticket for me.
Old 01-23-2011, 10:30 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

congrats on taking this step. For me it was not as much physical it was life style change. I have stopped many times over the years. I am 48 and stopped this time on my b-day 11/1/10 so I am at about 3 months. keep up the good work.
Old 01-23-2011, 10:38 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good job on your 2 wks sober. Quitting wasn't hard for me either, but I did find AA to he pretty helpful.
Old 01-23-2011, 12:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

The physical problems go away somewhat quickly for even heavy alcoholics, so just as "heavy" drinker like myself, I've have been physically ok since day 1 almost a couple months ago.

The hardest thing for me now has been what the heck to do with myself since my friends, social life, and relationships involved drinking. I guess you could call this the mental aspect. I have gone out with friends 2 times the last 8 weeks, when I used to go out atleast once a weekend. It has been the hardest thing and downright depressing dealing with everything completly sober. Being sober has been really tough and I am having trouble still dealing with everyday problems that used to not make me worry when I could just drink it away.

My advice going through this for 2 months is that it will get much harder before it gets easy. You will feel better physically and will eventually think it would be ok to drink or find a million excuses to take a drink. Not doing any of that and getting back on the cycle is the hardest part.
Old 01-23-2011, 01:09 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Nirvana,

Have you considered AA? Life doesn't have to be so gloomy when you're sober.
Old 01-23-2011, 01:13 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

user258........Welcome

I hope you are enjoying your new sobriety...
Old 01-23-2011, 01:16 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome user258

I think experiences run the gamut here...some find it trouble free, others not...I quit many many times and some of those times were remarkably smooth...but the tough part for me was always staying sober.

D
Old 01-23-2011, 01:20 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Nirvana1 ....

I found new sober friends in the rooms of AA.
We do all sorts of interesting things outside of meetings
and we all share the same goal...living well in recovery.

Please consider getting involved with your local AA
lot's of support and friends who understand are waiting for you.
Old 01-23-2011, 01:21 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LexieCat View Post
Nirvana,

Have you considered AA? Life doesn't have to be so gloomy when you're sober.
I have been looking in my area and trying to find the right age group, but in all honesty I really have no clue what to expect or how to get involved. I was going to attend a young group AA on friday but I have had the flu (real one for once) since wednesday, so I barely left the house all weekend.

I know that I need some help because I have been really depressed lately feeling that I have been missing out and have just been sitting at home on weekends. A lot has to do with a move to a new city but also been dealing with affects of a breakup, that only being sober really allowed me to finalize. It has been tough because I liked her a lot (blah, blah, blah) but I have never dealt with relationship issues sober before, so it has been tougher.
Old 01-23-2011, 01:40 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
A work in progress

I think you'd be happily surprised by what an AA meeting is really like. We have a LOT of young people in our groups--you don't have to wait until you find "the right age group". Chances are you will find plenty of people your own age to hang out with. Here's a link about what to expect at your first AA meeting.

You can find a whole new meaning to life, if you give it a chance.