Notices

A six pack almost killed me, but then saved my life.

Old 01-22-2011, 09:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A six pack almost killed me, but then saved my life.

The thought of trying to drink normally comes to many of us, especially during the early days, weeks, and months of sobriety, if you want to call it that. The last time I wanted to "drink normally" I set my limit at a six pack for the night. That night thankfully was the last time I drank, for it set up a chain of events that literally almost killed me, but ended up saving my life.

I share this because some may be wondering tonight if a drink won't hurt and to me, it always did. But that last six pack ultimately led to a period of physical illness that ended in the hospital with congestive heart failure, the implantation of a defibrillator, and the present possibility of more surgeries to fine tune the work already done. Now I've got to say that spending the holidays in bed with all kinds of tubes stuck in ya, and nurses waking you everytime you drift off into a deep sleep is not something you really want to get in to. I think the nurses plot together to keep you awake, but that's just a theory I have, lol. But the truth is a drink is just not worth it, especially when having a drink causes one to have to pee in a plastic container because you're too sick to get out of bed, lol. The dribbling part was the worst, lol. Oh, and did I mention the nurse who was looking me right in the eyes and asked me if I was wearing glasses? I've never worn glasses, and was not wearing any at the time, yet she asked me that. Huh, I would've thought that would be apparent, but that's just me, lol.

The key I discovered through all this fun time was that the connections with others that we share are really the ropes by which we can pull ourselves up from the abyss and walk proud again. If we're lacking these life-saving connections, then that's where we can start towards becoming healthy again. We need each other, and doctors, nurses, friends, family, counselors, and other recovering alcoholics, such as SR, AA or any other program which works for you, to help us find our way and connect with the life we want. We'll never find that life in a bottle, although many of us have tried till we were on the brink of death.

So to all who may be considering a drink tonight, I hope you reconsider and make a phone call instead. That one call, as it did for me, may be the one that saves your life.

Sorry, just felt like a preacher tonight. Thankfully it didn't last long, lol.
Think I'll have a cup o tea, lol. Where's the sugar??
Old 01-22-2011, 09:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hang in there Dallas!
I'm a nurse and know that another drink can kill me.
Get well and think of ways to do it different this time. All my best to you.
Old 01-22-2011, 09:51 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Now I've got to say that spending the holidays in bed with all kinds of tubes stuck in ya, and nurses waking you everytime you drift off into a deep sleep is not something you really want to get in to. I think the nurses plot together to keep you awake, but that's just a theory I have, lol.
Oh please don't forget coming out with a sore tail bone from that damn bar that is under the mattress just where it bends to raise or lower one. Hospital beds are NOT comfortable by any means!

Oh and being awakened every 4 hours to check my blood sugar and then 2 hours after they check it to give me insulin and the 4am blood draw every morning, sheesh, yes I had a recent 6 day stay that I don't wish to repeat any time soon, so I can commiserate with you on being in the hospital.

However, getting back to the 'main point' of your thread, I really hope you don't forget this one Dallas. Copy and paste what you just wrote, print it out and put it on your refrigerator as a daily reminder of where the last drink took you.

I am glad you are doing better, and again I missed you!

Love and hugs,
Old 01-22-2011, 10:12 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Laurie,

I printed this thread out just as you suggested, for it's easy to slip inot thinking that I'm ok now and a few drinks may solve all my problems, lol. Actually, a few drinks is the source of problems in my life and I'm pretty darn happy these days, so I don't want to screw that up again. It just ain't worth it, lol. It's great to be back in touch with you and know you're in my corner whenever things get tough. I appreciate your friendship and know you're always ready to help kick me in the rear when I get off track. Thanks for being here!

Thanks tallcactus, is my theory about nurses plotting to keep us awake well founded, lol. I swear they were waiting for me to doze off, then would come in to take my blood pressure, temp, draw blood just after I'd catch a few winks. It's another conspiracy, I tell ya, lol. Thanks you for your kind words.
Old 01-22-2011, 11:11 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Thanks for the Post. Glad you are here to tell it.
Old 01-22-2011, 11:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

(((Firestorm))) - great post!!

Okay, so I'm no longer a nurse (thanks to my own addiction), but most of the nurses I knew DREADED waking people up for vital signs, blood sugars, etc. It just meant I was going to tick someone off, when I'd pop in the room with the blood pressure machine. Got cussed out, quite a few times, and you know those little telemetry boxes? Yep, had one of those thrown at me.

So, that theory...nah. However, the one about how the next drink/drug could REALLY get you in deep trouble....absolutely, positively, yes. I'm sorry for what you had to go through, but I'm very glad you're still here to tell about it

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 01-23-2011, 02:17 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

PS

I am a retired RN and I make a LOUSY patient, roflmao

Back to serious stuff, I am glad you printed this out Dallas, as it's just ANOTHER TOOL that you can use.

Take care my friend, stay in today.

Love and hugs,
Old 01-23-2011, 06:34 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

My friend Norman came over with a 6 pack to watch tV.
He drank 5..in 6 hours..then took a pain med
prescribed by his doctor for an injured leg.

I went to bed...leaving him still watching TV
..about 4 he woke me.... saying..."scoot over I'm cold"
the alarm went off at 6 so I could go to my AA meeting.

He had not moved. or called out to me..I'm a light sleeper.
He was dead.

He was proud that I was sober...tho not interested in stopping
He laughed that he would later when he was my age.
I was a year older.

It's never too soon to find your way out of alcoholism.
Glad to see your progress Dallas...

Last edited by CarolD; 01-23-2011 at 06:55 AM.
Old 01-23-2011, 09:46 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing that story Carol.

It's truly tragic how lives are lost to alcohol, and I'm glad not to be one of them, for today.

I hope others here are able to see the whole picture and choose life instead.
Old 01-23-2011, 10:26 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Burn to ashes, rise in flames

Carol, I'm really sorry you had to go through that. Thank you for all that you do to help everyone on this forum.
Old 01-23-2011, 10:48 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Carol, waking up next to a dead person must be horrible. Oh my god. I am so sorry you had to experience this. How do you deal with this?
Old 01-24-2011, 03:59 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

SASA...
Since I quit drinking...I've lost 28 friends to alcoholism or
alcohol related causes.

Each of these have solidified my desire to stay sober...
I can do that by helping someone else find their way
and so can all of us.
Old 02-28-2011, 10:02 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hey Dallas,

Thanks for sharing... I was just thinking of you today and wanted to see how you were doing. Hope you are well.

XOXO,
Saliena