Notices

Is this pattern alcoholic?

Old 01-21-2011, 08:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Is this pattern alcoholic?

My wife is now drinking 1/2 pint of vodka nearly every day. She drinks the vodka very fast, usually within an hour. Is this reason to be concerned?
Old 01-21-2011, 08:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Could be. ARE you concerned?
Old 01-21-2011, 09:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Scott and welcome to SR. Have you talked to your wife about your concern? What does she say? It does not sound particularly good.
Old 01-21-2011, 09:12 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I just googled how many shots are in a half pint..it is 5 shots. So if she made a "normal" drink that is 5 drinks..but if she is like I was...5 shots would come up short of 2 drinks. I was good friends with the bartenders. Towards the end of my drinking marathon I asked them if I could have the pour spout that they use on bottles to determine 1 shot. I stuck to it..but still ended up with more drinks since they were weaker drinks. The alcoholic mind thinks it is very clever!!!!!!!! You are the only one that knows your wife..I guess I want to add that I didn't start out a hard core alky..it took me a bit of time to build up to it..but once I did..I couldn't even stop drinking as long as there was any kind of alcohol in the house. Maybe that is something you should watch out for..
Old 01-21-2011, 09:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

"Maybe that is something you should watch out for.."

I should reword this..this is something SHE should be aware of...i
Old 01-21-2011, 09:30 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Scotty

I think, considering you're here, you must be concerned.
I think I might be too, in your shoes...but only you know your wife and whatever the consequences are of her drinking and how it makes you feel.

We also have a family and friends forum here you might also be interested in
Friends and Family of Alcoholics - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

Welcome to SR
D
Old 01-22-2011, 03:37 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR! I would say that it would be a concern but more importantly, is she concerned? And, something to add...as an alcoholic, whenever someone "voiced" their concern over my drinking (be it saying something, a look or whatever non-verbal vibe I got from them), I started hiding it from them just to appease "their" concerns which had nothing to do with me (haha). I used to identify myself as "independent" meaning that I liked living alone - But in reality...I just liked having a space that gave me freedom to drink without anybody bothering me!
Old 01-22-2011, 04:24 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Scotty, Welcome to SR!

Your wife is drinking 75 or so units of alcohol a week in vodka. In the UK the government recommended healthy limit is 14. Cutting back a bit might be wise, problem or not.

Good luck to you both.
Old 01-22-2011, 06:07 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Alcoholism is the cyclic presence of tolerance, withdrawal, and excessive alcohol use; the drinker's inability to control such compulsive drinking, despite awareness of its harm to his or her health, indicates that the person might be an alcoholic.
Old 01-22-2011, 07:38 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Ummm...I wouldn't exactly consider that social drinking...you should definately step in regarding that. Keep posting how it goes.
Old 01-22-2011, 08:04 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

5 drinks a day is a lot... especially all at once like that. I would say the question is not so much whether she's an alcoholic as whether her drinking is unhealthy (which it is) and whether it's causing problems (which only you and she know.)

Cutting back would be advisable, from a health standpoint alone if nothing else.
Old 01-22-2011, 09:49 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to SR. Do take a look at that link for friends and families of alcoholics. Lots of support and good advice there from people who understand your position.
Old 01-22-2011, 06:16 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Grateful Member

I have met AT LEAST 2 alcoholics who "only" drank a pint a day. It is excessive, but I'd like to know more about what she does, and how she is after she drinks it.
Old 01-22-2011, 06:33 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
A work in progress

See, I was too cheap to buy liquor by the half pint (unless I needed a small bottle for traveling or concealing--I kept small bottles that I poured into for that purpose).

If that's the size bottle she is drinking from, I wouldn't be surprised if she has some more hidden or in her purse or desk drawer or glove box. Just the voice of experience...

My personal favorite trick was to conceal a half pint of vodka and another of scotch in between the plastic liner and the trash basket next to the desk in my home office. You'd be AMAZED at how long "just one" drink can last when you are able to keep topping it off.
Old 01-22-2011, 06:51 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by ScottyH View Post
My wife is now drinking 1/2 pint of vodka nearly every day. She drinks the vodka very fast, usually within an hour. Is this reason to be concerned?
Is she an alcoholic? Time will tell. If so, it is always progressive.

Should you be concerned? Yes, if it progresses.

The bigger question is: Is she hiding that fact that she sometimes does more?