Notices

hello, friends in recovery!

Old 01-19-2011, 02:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Burn to ashes, rise in flames

Thumbs up hello, friends in recovery!

Hi SR family!
I hope the day has treated you kindly thus far. Today is magical number eight for me. I started with the intention of just taking a break and aiming for moderate drinking, but these withdrawals have been so awful, I can't imagine why I'd want to put alcohol back into my body.
I had this vision of laying in the blazing hot sand of a desert, my skin burning and peeling, throat dry and raw, desperate for a drink. I felt like if there was an alcohol-filled cactus within reach I would have swallowed it whole and let it tear me up from the inside, just to get a taste. But this emptiness inside of me that needs to be filled cannot be filled with wine- I've tried, bottles at a time.
I'm looking forward to getting to know all of you as time goes on, and if you ever need to chat, I'm here.
"One day at a time" has been very helpful to me. Also, I keep counting on my fingers how many days I've been sober. I'm excited to run out of fingers! : )
Old 01-19-2011, 02:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Welcome, P'Rose. Eight days is awesome.
Old 01-19-2011, 02:48 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Phoenix Rose

D
Old 01-19-2011, 03:40 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. Congrats on your 8 days sober. THat's a good start to a better life.
Old 01-19-2011, 03:45 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PhoenixRose View Post
Hi SR family!
But this emptiness inside of me that needs to be filled cannot be filled with wine- I've tried, bottles at a time.
I know exactly what you mean. It didn't cure the anxiety and craving deep inside. There was something else missing. Alcohol at any amount, short of passing out, didn't make go away. So then, why did I try to use alcohol as a medicinal cure for another emptiness? It made no sense to keep drinking, even with my belly full, thinking it was going to take away the anguish inside.

After I gave it up (five months ago) I took to bottled water and sipped on that instead, to patch the manual habit as well as the sipping habit.

Now, I look back and realize, I didn't need alcohol. I thought I did. It was all a big lie in my head.

There's no going back to that life. The truth has set me free. I'm the same guy, just without alcohol, hangovers, dependency and free to live my life as I choose.

I choose sobriety!

Good luck to you
Old 01-19-2011, 06:51 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Phoenix!! 8 days..YAY! Double digits are just around the corner..
Old 01-19-2011, 06:52 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Grateful Member

Welcome!! Congrats on 8 days!
Old 01-19-2011, 06:56 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Welcome to SR Phoenix Rose

D
Phoenix - I think I was like you in that my decision to quit was reinforced 10 fold when i joined this forum. Moderation doesn't work (at least for me), and since I made the decision to be sober forever and a day, I wake up each day feeling a tid bit better than the last - a wonderful uplifting feeling that continues to get better (a few bumps along the way - but nothign too drastic). SR is the best place on the web - I don't post enough, but I always read. enjoy your time here - it is a great place to be

dee I need to ask --- the piano?
Old 01-19-2011, 07:29 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

VMed you Joe

D