Notices

A new binge/problem drinker is in town

Old 01-19-2011, 10:14 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A new binge/problem drinker is in town

Hey everyone,

I thought I'd join up here as I've been worried about my binge drinking for a while, especially at the weekends.

It's not uncommon for me to have a 0.7 liter bottle of Whiskey and 2 bottles of wine over the Friday and Saturday.

I've set myself the target of ceasing all alcoholic intake until May 2nd (which is the day I run the local marathon). During this period I think I need to look at the reasons at why I drink (which I think is mostly low self esteem especially when I'm out and about and boredom when I'm on my own.

It might be a bit challenging however as my dad has been diagnosed with terminal cancer so I want to deal with this as best as I can instead of hitting the bottle. I think if I started relying on the booze to cope with the emotions now then it'd set a dangerous precedent.

Enough waffling. I haven't drank since Sunday and I'm looking forward to reading and contributing to the board!
Old 01-19-2011, 10:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family Elvis. I gave it up for good over a year ago and haven't regretted a minute of it. I feel better than I have for ages and am better than I used to be.
Old 01-19-2011, 10:39 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR! So glad you are here with us
Old 01-19-2011, 10:52 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Elvis, welcome to SR!
i've run a few marathons hungover.
it's called running on empty!
Good luck for your marathon.
Old 01-19-2011, 11:10 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Welcome to SR! Congrats on the sober time since Sunday. As difficult as things in life are, they can be made worse by drinking. Look forward to reading more from you.
Old 01-19-2011, 11:21 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Try AA meetings ... Seriously ... I was so against them in the beginning but they help with all aspects of life. Yes the goal is to help people stay Sober, but the way they do that is by helping you change your outlook on life!
Old 01-19-2011, 12:23 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hey Elvis!!! I'm in the same boat...binge drinking my life away..I am an lpn at a local hospital and just got my 1st dui after crashing my car in an ice storm...Unfortunately most of my friends have the same binge drinking problem as well...i feel like my life is over right now...I am taking it one day at a time and have no idea how this will effect my job..I hope that this does not happen to you as well...BE careful and be strong!
Old 01-19-2011, 01:12 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome!
Old 01-19-2011, 01:30 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi ElvisInASkirt

I'm sorry about your Dad - that must be rough - but it's a good decision you've made to give up drinking, for however long.

I hope maybe you'll get to May and decide to continue

You'll find a lot of support here
Welcome
D
Old 01-19-2011, 03:19 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks for the welcome everyone.

Ideally I want to get to the stage where I'm no longer even interested in alcohol under any circumstances. I don't know if this is possible as I've mentally associated alcohol with relaxation at both home and the bar.

It will take a while to unlearn all of the crap.
Old 01-19-2011, 03:28 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

When you run, run for your new free life. Welcome!
Old 01-19-2011, 04:37 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Sept 30, 2010

I am sorry to hear about your Father. You must make every day count.

Exercise is a life saver for me. Training to run a marathon requires strong mental and physical preparation. I applaud your decision to commit to it. I do the same, in my case I live for my bike rides. I do everything I can to be in top form and I find that focusing on a future event makes day to day living, including sobriety, much easier to handle.

Stay focused and hopefully your life will be so much better without alcohol in May that you will reevaluate then.
Old 01-19-2011, 05:03 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome Elvis, and congrats on your sober days! The first weekend is always the hardest, but come and post/read on the forum - it really helps to have support.

I didn't think I'd enjoy a life without evening drinks, but waking up clear-headed and feeling healthy isn't bad at all! Glad you're giving sobriety a try.
Old 01-21-2011, 01:45 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

First major challenge today. Was up at the hospital and we found out that he won't be getting out until a week later than he expected and he has yet to be told this so he will be very annoyed.

Had mild cravings for a drink that were immediately shot down with the realization that he won't get out any sooner if I tip a bottle down my throat.

I'm having a low fat pizza and burning incense and trying not to think about much other than laughing at random Youtube videos.