Notices

9 Days into this improved life.

Old 01-17-2011, 04:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

9 Days into this improved life.

We all have projects. I own a B&B thats also my home. I have always taken great care of the home and guest areas including landscaping. However, personally - I have had boxes of stuff from when I moved that I never even opened. Everything was stored in the basement. (As a drinker) "thats going to take forever maybe I'll work on it over the winter".. Another problem I have had is haphazard paperwork file cabinets crammed with crap.. (As a drinker) "I better not mess with it I might throw out something important, maybe I'll work on it over Winter." Piles of clothes all over the basement. (As a drinker) "I paid good money for some of that, I might wear it again, I'll think about it..."

Needless to say, as Non-Drinker, I'm just about done with everything. And it was a lot to deal with.

Fun experience with some trips down memory lane - It feels much better to actually do it and accomplish it - than to ponder it in a stuper.

I recommend it, go found a corner of your house that needs attention and you will feel great. You might even find that video game disk you used to play every day as a kid I did.
Old 01-17-2011, 05:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Yeah...I like getting rid of clutter. Makes me feel better. Sounds like things are goin well for you Chris...good for you. What was the video game you found?
Old 01-17-2011, 06:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sound advice...now, if you could come to my place and give me a demo...? LOL
Congratulations on 9 days Chris

D
Old 01-17-2011, 06:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I notice, after reading many posts, that when we are into the first week of post withdrawal we tend to clean house and go through all our stuff. Just an observation.
Day 13 and a very clean house I must say.
Old 01-17-2011, 06:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

so which video game did you find? I did a cleaning like u a few weeks ago and found my old nintendo in a box - with : Castlevania, Super Mario Bros and Double Dragon... I tried to turn it on but it didnt work lol...
Old 01-17-2011, 06:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JoeCree View Post
so which video game did you find? I did a cleaning like u a few weeks ago and found my old nintendo in a box - with : Castlevania, Super Mario Bros and Double Dragon... I tried to turn it on but it didnt work lol...
The original Half Life from 1998, so I guess I was 24 lol. I'm installing on my computer as we speak. I never did beat the game as I drank when I played lol.
I do think its metaphorical that we clean up and hack through our stuff early in recovery.
Old 01-17-2011, 07:08 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

I can so relate. I threw myself into de-cluttering my house the first few months. It was therapeutic and rewarding (and staved off boredom, a big trigger for me).
Old 01-17-2011, 07:22 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

wow

haven't been here very long, but can't believe how i am able to relate to so many others stories! when i would get bored, anxious or frustrated, i would go all out and super tune my house. it was and still is great therapy for me.
Old 01-17-2011, 08:17 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by iacb View Post
haven't been here very long, but can't believe how i am able to relate to so many others stories! when i would get bored, anxious or frustrated, i would go all out and super tune my house. it was and still is great therapy for me.
I didn't know about this website 10 days ago... I have to say the similarities and parallels to others on this site have really validated my need to take care of myself and is the number one reason I spend an hour a day on SR. I feel the more I read and post the thicker the wall between me and my vice (beer) becomes.
Old 01-27-2011, 05:42 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Well you win and you loose.. assess and address. I violated the vital concept I heard on here..It defined how we only have control of the first drink or first sip.. After that the body and disease seek out as much beer (for me), insert other vise) as it can. That being said I have been Non Sober since 1/21. I have had an expensive series of vehicle and property repairs and working my ass to make it all work plus a full time job. I like to discuss things mechanically, I thickened that wall by coming here.. I had put up a mental wall and envisioned that as my blocker and a resistance to alcohol urges. At one point the disease snuck in my brain like a trickle, it said wow you have been getting killed with problems ! just get 4 beers You have not had an urge in 6 or seven days ! So I did... drank em all... and been having 4 beers a night for the last few...Never more .. I dont need more than that.. but its not cool and sorry to those I preached too.. I'll get it back..I'm still reaping the benefits of my cleansed period .. I'm way better organized projects accomplished.. but yeah not the best..at the moment.
Old 01-27-2011, 05:49 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

I used to reach for a beer when I had problems too - god knows why because not only did it not solve anything...but I usually made things worse for myself by losing a few more days, or falling over, or having an argument w/someone, or breaking something...or just generally feeling sick run down beaten and depressed.

The only way out of the mire Chris is to stop drinking. Do it now, man.

D
Old 01-27-2011, 06:24 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Congrats on your efforts Chris. I will tell you that in my experience, I always returned to drinking. Self-will failed me. And then I discovered that the definition of an alcoholic is someone who cannot stop drinking on their own. Everything fails.

If you discover that your efforts to "control" your drinking fail, you may be beyond human help. That's where true recovery through the 12 steps can solve the problem.

Most of us, though (myself included), attempt every different version of self-control before we're willing to try it.

If you're an alcoholic like me, no external environmental change, no exercise program, no amount of cleaning and reorganizing is going to keep you from a drink.