Notices

This is an ongoing fight

Old 01-16-2011, 12:09 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

This is an ongoing fight

I have been addicted to hydrocodone and oxycontin for about 2-3 years now. This addiction has pretty much made me lose everything important in my life. I am still very young, I am only 21 and have a great job but if I can't fight the urges to do pills and spend money then I won't be able to enjoy my life as it is right now. Going through the withdrawal symptoms are terrible and unbearable as some of you may know. I just need to make it through those and then just stay positive about life and how it can be without addiction. This addiction is taking it out of me though. It is a constant fight with myself it seems like but I know I can get through this. I want to live a great, happy long life. I was on the right path and then in high school towards my senior year I got mixed up with some people who I though were my friends but it turns out the people that are around with drugs aren't your friends. I am glad I have come to learn that and am trying to surround myself with great people.
Old 01-16-2011, 12:42 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome Positive! Glad you are here and you have our support.

You have made a wonderful decision and I think checking in with the doctors with the withdrawals/detox would be the best thing.

Looking forward to the journey
Old 01-16-2011, 01:10 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Snarf Snarf

Welcome p2v! Glad you joined us here. This is a great site with many wonderful people who have tons of experience and support to share with you. I found this site on the day I decided I could no longer have a relationship with alcohol, and I haven't had a drink since.

I've got no personal experience with addiction to prescription pills, but I certainly have friends who have struggled with it. In fact, when I served my 3-day jail sentence for DUI #2, I was in there with a friend from several years ago who is struggling with a pill addiction. He was in there for violation of felony probation (for drug possession) when he was caught with pills for which he did not have a prescription.

He told me how hard it was, how much he struggled with his addiction. Because of it, he was separated from his son for a long time. He told me how badly he wanted to stop, and I said that he had a head start since he couldn't get any pills in jail. Now he just needs to stay away from them when he gets out.

I think many of us can identify with falling in with a certain group of friends at a young age that don't necessarily have our best interests at heart. I know I seriously damaged relationships with my real friends, who cared deeply for me, with my behaviors.

I agree with Kmber, checking in with a doctor is certainly a good idea when attempting to detox.

Thanks so much for joining us, and I hope you'll stick around a while!
Old 01-16-2011, 01:36 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome Positive
I as well got addicted to the pain pills. Tried the withdrawals. Just couldn't seem to get through that. Went to doctor , was prescribed suboxone. Got me through withdrawals without the jump out your skin, restless leg syndrome. Now I am so afraid to go through that again, even great temptation is keeping me in check. I have an old blind disabled neighbor who gets scripts he doesn't take( He would rather have some extra money). This is a tough one. All I have to do is walk over there right now. I want and have to quit, so that's what I've done for 2 1/2 months now. S/R has been very helpful. Right now I'm working on total sobriety( beer, wine ) because it is a trigger. Keep on. This is not only possible, but has been done. Many post on many subjects in here.
Old 01-16-2011, 07:23 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Stick close to SR, and welcome!
Old 01-16-2011, 08:08 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Welcome to SR positive!
Old 01-16-2011, 01:18 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR positive2vibe

You'll find a lot of help and support here - you may also find our substance abuse forum useful to you

Substance Abuse - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
D
Old 01-16-2011, 06:56 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I appreciate everyone that is supporting me on getting myself clean and sober. Life is such a precious gift that should not be wasted on something like an addiction. There are a few great people in my life right now that are helping me more than they know with this battle I am going through. Also, everyone that supports me and shares their stories with me are helping me so much. I am also here to support and talk to anyone that needs it because god knows that addiction is something you shouldn't have to battle on your own. Family and great friends are definitely a good start for anything that you are encountering in life I hope with time that this problem will start fading and hopefully the cravings will start to subside. Once again thank you so much to everyone that is supporting me. It is helping me out more than you guys know and I appreciate it so much.
Old 01-16-2011, 07:31 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family!
Old 01-17-2011, 04:48 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hey I appreciate your support. Everyone that is supporting me is helping me in ways that I can't even explain. It is hard for me to talk to people close to me because I don't want everyone close to me to know that I have an addiction but what I am learning is I just need to talk about it and a lot of the pain starts to go away. It seems like after my parents got divorced which was a year ago now my life got turned upside down. I can't blame my addiction on that because I was introduced into pills before that happened. I am proud to say that talking and having support from everyone on this site is giving me that extra edge to stay off pills. So thank you!!!
Old 01-17-2011, 04:52 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

You sound very mature and that you have learned a lot of valuable life lessons. Good for you for wanting to get your life back on track and to move forward. Many of us come here because this is a place where people understand. And, I think you're right in being cautious about who you talk to about your addiction because it's hard for others to understand.

Have you talked to your dr about getting off the drugs?
Old 01-17-2011, 04:55 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I also have some of the same triggers. When I go out to the bar or a party with my friends I get the urge to get some pills or at least call someone for them. All I had to do was make a phone call and I could get them. I big positive step that I made was to call my cell phone company and have the 2 contacts I had for pills blocked. After I blocked the numbers I deleted them from my cell phone. I am well on my way back to my old sober lifestyle. I am excited to bring back everything I used to enjoy before I became an addict. Being sober now means everything to me because of many reasons.
Old 01-17-2011, 07:16 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I wish you the best of luck. im new here too. and havebattled pain pill addiction but not hardcore enough form withdrawls. but I know what you mean abut the urges...i too feel like if i could just fight that urge and get that obsession out of my mind, recovery would be possible. but coming here is the first start. I know recovery is possible bc ive seen recovering addicts with 30 plus yrs. its just hard to see yourself there, or at least that is how i feel.
Good luck and hope all of us can help!
Old 01-17-2011, 07:22 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome. I'm glad you learned your other "friends" were enablers.