Notices

Working on Day One "Again"

Old 01-15-2011, 06:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Working on Day One "Again"

Well, I am on day one again. I did so well the week before last and last week I planned on a good week but it didn’t work out. One thing is that I didn’t drink as much as normal but I still drank. It is so hard to believe that you can feel so good after not drinking for a week and see the light but then fall for the lie of “Just one and that is it.” I am still trying to get the courage up to speak with my friend who is a recovering addict. I am just so afraid for people to say hey that guy is a drunk. I feel like it is my problem and my secret and I don’t want people I know to really know it. How crazy is that?
Old 01-15-2011, 06:35 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Never mind what anyone says. You're doing this for your health and well being, ignore what anyone says. Glad you're giving it another go.
Old 01-15-2011, 06:41 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It's amazing how logging onto the Forum for the first time in a while, the first post I read is one that I could have written myself. I drank last week following a romantic setback. I feel awful about it and of course the drink made the problem seem far worse.

For what it's worth, here's how I responded. I called my sponsor when I was drunk and told him what was going on. I called him again the next day and apologised. I called the AA hotline as well and told them what happened.

I went to meetings on Wednesday, Friday and this morning and I am now about to go to another meeting, as well as having a face to face talk with my sponsor. The meetings that I did attend, I arrived early and left late (I volunteered to wash up) and shared honestly that I drank this week.

Today I am sober. I am on the Forum and I will try to log in before I go bed tonight to say a grateful thanks for a sober day.

This disease is baffling but we do have resources open to us in recovery and if we use them we can change the pattern of behaviour which is causing so much harm to ourselves and those we love.
Old 01-15-2011, 07:05 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You are not alone - I am right here on day one with you. I manage to get a few weeks under my belt, and then I feel so good I want a drink. Stupid right? I am already wavering a bit - thinking that just one would take the edge off my headache from last night's overindulgence. But I didn't do it, I logged in here, wrote in my journal, and chased my kid around the house. Hang in there.
Old 01-15-2011, 07:12 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

BetterMe, glad I am not alone. I have been reluctant to write over the last week because I felt guilty about drinking and being so adamant about not drinking just a week ago. But being here got me through a tough week once and I think I can do it again and so can you. Let's not have that drink today and wake up tomorrow feeling like we recently did. I know it will make us both happier ;-)
Old 01-15-2011, 08:37 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

You can do it Jude!

Also, it may not be as big a secret as you think it is. Or, if it is...it prob won't be for long. Consider asking that friend for help.

BetterMe and Jude...you can go through this together. Both of you are not alone.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 01-15-2011, 10:37 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Not a secret now. And also not a secret that you want to leave it behind. It can be done. Feeling good inside and out, on a regular basis, every day going forward is only a burden if we lie to ourselves and allow the false belief that any alcoholic drink will make us better than we are as the natural people we were born as.

The truth sets us free and the truth is, alcohol impairs us physically, mentally and emotionally. It doesn't and never will make a situation better. If a situation or social event exists, it exists regardless as to what we put in our mouths. Life exists and all that is required of us is to live it, in the moment. Alcohol doesn't change anything but us, and never for the better.

Good luck!