Notices

Reflections on Wellness

Old 01-14-2011, 08:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Reflections on Wellness

I'm being introspective.

Reflecting on change and how our inner health manifests in our physical world.

For instance my house is transforming from a drinking hovel to a home and a sanctuary. I take the time to care for myself physically. I put effort into my appearance. I make choices based on what I find appealing instead of what I think others think is appealing.

Anyone else?
Old 01-14-2011, 10:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

LF - It has been nice to read about your journey as it happens.

I don't know...it's kinda deeper than what I think about my life. Mines pretty simple. Quit drinking. Work out more.

Sure I don't have stashes of alcohol around but other than that, hasn't changed how I take care of my house too much. I actually prob do a little less around the home than I did before. I used to take on simple home projects late at night while I was pretty lit up. Prob changin out light fixtures with live wires while I'm wasted not a good idea.

Still...I do get a lot of projects around my house taken care of. Some of em fairly major. Most were before I quit, some were after.

Not sure of this is what you're lookin for...but it's my response.
Old 01-15-2011, 03:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Eating protein and life.

I have a spare bedroom in my house that I would use to store crap I would buy because it was on sale and I thought I needed it or would need it. Looking back, I was just chasing happiness via external means (just like booze).

I have since transformed that room into my own personal home gym (time elapsed: 12 straight hours on a Saturday). I used the money I spent on booze to buy the equipment and now it's a great feeling to be able to workout at home some days/nights when it's this cold out (the distance to the regular gym increases by one mile for every two degree decrease in temperature).

I've also cleaned my garage and the rest of my house and it's a great feeling to be able to once again be proud of my abode.

The external changes have really been limited only to my time: I'm reading more, working out more, working on business ideas that I've been telling myself I would start for years, etc.

It's amazing how much alcohol brought me down. I still find myself scratching my head wondering, "what in the hell happened to me for those six years?"

As Ghostly mentioned, I'm not sure if that's what you're looking for but stick a fork in me, cuz I'm done son.
Old 01-15-2011, 07:33 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yes, LF, I've redrawn the building plans of my life too. Replaced the carnage of empty beer cans, the trail of clothes from the door to the bed, and the don't-give-a damn drinking sprees with some order, cleanliness and a lot of care. I've come to understand that the real tragedy of alcoholism is not only what it does to our space on earth, but what it does to the space of those around us.
Today, alcoholic depression is serving a life sentence in an unknown penal colony far away, and when the curtains open in the morning in my home, real, golden sun comes streaming in, not the pounding headache and the nagging, blurred memory of "omigod what did i DO last night?" Sobriety has brought a new spatial dimension into my life. It's called peace. (:
Old 01-15-2011, 08:01 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi LF, I started feeling more ineer peace and I realize I am more patient with people, do not mistreat them. Also I realized I can let go of things more easily. Before when somebody had a different opinion I would always argue for him to accept the rigth opinion (which was mine), lol. Now I am listening more to others and accept differences.
I also started to loose weight, since my beginnign I lost now 60 pounds (I gained 7 over christmas and work hard trying to get rid of them), I changed my hair colour, my clothes and wear contacts. I improved my looks for myself and find myself looking very often in the mirror saying dam you look good. With this of course came more self worth and I feel mor confident........ I talk easier to people and they talk more tho me, so I love being sober and at peace.
It is still very easy however to get me out of the peace. I know you followed my journey a little bit and know I have a friend living with me. He is vey negative and complains to 90% of the time, he is very controling and yes can drive me crazy, these are the times where I feel tested and I am working on coping skills. I see it good though, since it helps me improve and if I can withstand him I can withstand the world...... lol.
Oh and I realized I am getting more and more positive even about "negative" things that happen, I developed a faith in live that no matter what this too shall pass..... and there will be anohter light or door appearing.
Old 01-15-2011, 09:10 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks guys...exactly what I was looking for.

Untox ...I have a spare bedroom like yours...I called it my studio but never painted much in there...when I got sober I cleaned it up and turned it into my bedroom. I'm in the process of turning my old bedroom into a guest room...so I can have friends visit

SASA...I changed my hair color too...lol...I'm a redhead now...was born that color but it turned blondisah as I aged...so now its red again!

Thanks for reminding me about your room mate situation...I have been thinking about a room mate for awhile now and just made the decision not to pursue it for the next 6 months...anything you can do about your situation? Being happy at home is soooo important!

Xoxo, LaFemme
Old 01-15-2011, 09:36 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

La Femme
I had the opportunity to move in my first year of sobriety. I found a home and created a sober sanctuary. All of my passions and hobbies can be experienced in and around my home. It was a relief to walk away from the drinking hovel that had limited possibilites. I started studying feng shui when I was looking for my new house and was not surprised to learn the drinking hovel had very bad FS. I was surprised Buddhists purchased my home, but from my dealings with them I think they were lapsed.
I think recovery helps us learn who we are and discard who we've allowed ourselves to become.
SH
Old 01-15-2011, 10:10 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by stanleyhouse View Post
I think recovery helps us learn who we are and discard who we've allowed ourselves to become.
SH
I totally agree!!! Its not change its rediscovery
Old 01-15-2011, 11:21 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi LF, I lock myself into my office at home and my bedroom. These are my sanctuaries. My rommie can have the rest of the house. I sneak to the fridge when I am hungry, not much of a cook anyway and I am usually at work 8am till 8 pm.....
Funny is a ssoon as I come home and go either to my office or bedroom my 3 cats jump in. My rommie tries still to come inside since all the family hides from him, lol.
Old 01-15-2011, 11:29 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Great post! My desire to quit drinking is just one part of the change I want to make in my life. I haven't liked myself for a long time; and drinking was not helping matters. I am trying really hard to change my thought process and my outlook on life this for me involves changing lots of habits; and consciously changing the way I think or react to situations. I am starting to actually DO lots of things I have always just been thinking about doing, but never getting around to. I started taking a yoga class again, I am starting to volunteer, I am making a point to find sober things to do, for example there is an exhibit at a local museum I really want to see. I am finally learning how to use my sewing machine so I can work on some home decorating projects I have been thinking about.

I've always been completely OCD about cleanliness, so that was never an issue, but maybe with some of the money I save on booze, I can spiff up the house a bit.