Notices

i don't want to become an alcoholic

Old 01-15-2011, 12:47 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Snarf Snarf

Welcome, 40oz! Yes, there was a time when a 40oz of Icehouse was my "freedom." Now I realize it was actually my bondage, and without the booze I truly am free.

I know how bad it can feel when it seems like nothing will go your way. It can be a really dark and lonely place. But it doesn't have to be, because there are other people who have been through it too.

There's lots of great folks here who have tons of experience dealing with life's problems, and doing so without alcohol. It can be tough and scary, but it can be done. I'm glad you're here and I hope you hang around a while.
Old 01-15-2011, 01:13 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Welcome!!!

Imo, and it's where I differ from what's written in the Big Book, no one 'becomes' an alcoholic, you either are or you aren't.

I believe I was an alcoholic the day I was born, became a practicing alcoholic the day I took my first drink.

Consider myself a recovered alcoholic today, but that status could change in an instant.
Old 01-15-2011, 04:47 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

40oz, Welcome!

The amount you're drinking is certainly enough to put you way out of the range of "normal drinking". Personally, I never could understand people who would order a beer and would walk away later with half of it left over, warm and flat. WTF? A beer is a terrible thing to waste!

You said: I need to find a way to deal with stress other than drinking. I can totally relate to that statement. It wasn't drinking that was the problem. It was my job, my girlfriend, my parents... if all of these things would just fall into place, I wouldn't HAVE to drink. The problem I ran into was that at some point, the absence of alcohol in my system stressed me out. I didn't know it, I thought it was the events around me, or boredom, etc. The truth was, I was going through withdrawal, and my body was craving more alcohol. So I drank. Which led to withdrawal. So I drank again... Not always to excess, but I always drank again.

I agree with the other posters. Try not drinking. If you do decide to drink on a particular day, limit yourself to One twelve oz steel reserve a day (12 oz steel reserve = 24 oz "normal" beer). Or have two "regular" proof beers. Or a dozen non-alcoholic beers if you're thinking that you drink for the taste. Try it for a minimum of two weeks, preferably a month.

Also, pick up a copy of this book - "Under the Influence" by James Milam. It is a really good book that describes what happens in a person who is/becomes an alcoholic. I've read a slew of books ince I stopped drinking over a year ago - that one was by far the most meaningful for me in terms of facing up to the realities of continuing to drink.

I wish you all the best, 40. Keep in touch, even if you come to the conclusion that you are not an alcoholic. This economy is brutal, and you have a lot of company with being unemployed, myself included.

Edd
Old 01-15-2011, 11:32 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Cool

OK guys, this is soley meant for levity, so don't take it too seriously.....

Every time I read this threads title.....: i don't want to become an alcoholic ..... this reminds me of.....:

....when Bette Davis' character (Baby Jane) and Joan Crawford's character (Blanche) sorta get into it when Blanche says, "....but I don't want to be an invalid," to which Jane replies...."Butcha are, Blanche, butcha are....."

Ok, back to serious stuff. You've received a lot of good suggestions here. Now mebbe it's time to try out one, or more, of them.....?

(o:
NoelleR
Old 01-15-2011, 11:54 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR 40oz.! You say you drank less when you were working, why not take one of those 8 dollar an hour jobs until something better comes along. It is 8 more an hour than you are making now,it will keep you busy, and may get some people off of your back. Just a suggestion. Good luck!
Old 01-15-2011, 08:32 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I LOVED BABY JANE! That Joan Crawford was a b!tch from hell...NO MORE WIRE HANGERS!!!! or...Go strap yourselves in...(Mommy Dearest)...I used alot of those lines raising my own kids. We would just laugh...Joan and Bette abhored each other in real life. My mom got me hooked on these two..lots of good black and white movies. I am completely off the original post..you may now close this thread Dee. I am out of control.
Old 01-15-2011, 10:33 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

I can remember going to different stores to try to look like I was not buying as much alcohol as I was.
I don't buy the idea I was born an alcoholic. I made myself an alcoholic by trying to self medicate away the problems in my life.
You should just quit, being sober really does feel better. Especially for me that alcohol hadn't been fun or even felt good being drunk in a long time. It was all just memories and trying
to get those memories back even though it made me feel like ****.