SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Suggestions to stop the first drink ... (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/217623-suggestions-stop-first-drink.html)

ACT10Npack 01-12-2011 08:18 PM

Suggestions to stop the first drink ...

I want to start a thread to help people stop from start drinking the first alcohol drink. Please add to this so people can use to help them to not drink. Here are a couple of mine suggestions. Please try to add suggestion that is not use all the time.

1. When wanting to drink, think of the hangover, headache or throwing up the day after then taste of the drink and how it will make you feel.

2. If arrested keep a photo of your arrested mug shot on top of your license to remind you what happens when you drink. (You general take it out if your going to buy alcohol)

Maryjan 01-12-2011 08:22 PM

Great idea! Come to SR and type...

readyforhelp 01-12-2011 08:25 PM

Reach out. Shine a light on your darkness. We all have a darkness. You are only as sick as your darkness. Shine a frigin light on that darkness!!!

readyforhelp 01-12-2011 08:27 PM

For immediate relief, I like Maryjan's "come to SR and type."

artsoul 01-12-2011 08:59 PM

Get on the internet and check out the harmful effects of alcohol.

NewMe11109 01-12-2011 09:44 PM

Go find another alcoholic to help, call your sponsor, post on SR, go on SR chat, ask another alcoholic for help, "play the tape forward", go to a meeting, and if all else fails, pray (even if in disbelief)

Kmber2010 01-12-2011 10:02 PM

Get support and reach out before you take that drink.

Dee74 01-12-2011 11:01 PM

Urge surfing can be a useful tool to master :)

Overcoming Life's Obstacles: Urge Surfing to beat addictions and cravings

D

topspin 01-13-2011 12:28 AM

Thanks Dee,

Love those articles that make so much sense !?!

Try not to let that phrase "urge surfing" slip outta my short term. lo

No2 01-13-2011 12:35 AM

A lot of times just eating a lot works for me. I usually think of getting a drink when I start to get hungry. If I just eat and snack all the time I don't get the urge. Of course it's better to do this with fruit and beef jerky and that sort of thing rather than cheeseburgers and potato chips, lol.

Peter G 01-13-2011 01:00 AM

Remember that a craving usually lasts no longer than 5 minutes.

Call someone, as said above, reach out to someone aware of your condition.

Come to SR and read your first posts when entering recovery. Relive those horrid, harsh moments and play them through to the natural conclusion, had you continued drinking then. Ask yourself; "Do I really want to risk being in that position or worse, again?"

Have a favorite video game or movie to fire up as soon as the thought overtakes.

Make a favorites folder of XA The Lights Are On speakers, and call up the one or two talks that really touched you on first listen.

Take a shower.

Guzzle down a bucket full of water.

Once the decision is made to drink, say "OK, but I'll drink tomorrow".

Eat copious amounts of ice cream. (This is my personal favorite lol!)

yeahgr8 01-13-2011 01:32 AM

Get into a program of recovery and change enough to not want that first drink...as an alcoholic i could only think through not having that first drink for a while and in the end would take it...

Veritas1 01-13-2011 04:14 AM

Go to an Alcoholics Anonymous Meeting

Call someone in recovery, and ask for help.

Call the Alcoholics Anonymous hotline.

Pray

Read the book Alcoholics Anonymous if you have a copy, or online if you don't.

Listen to recovered speakers online, AA speaker talks.

Do something physical. Clean the house, go for a walk.

Remove yourself from the given situation where tempted.

Breathe. Take a good deep breath, calm down, let it pass.

Take a hot shower, or bath.

Make a cup of tea, or coffee. Have some chocolate, or something sweet, or eat a good meal.

Try to get some rest, a good movie, pjs, and it will pass.

Watch a good recovery movie.

Halt...don't let yourself get too hungry, angry, lonely or tired.

Come here to SR and ask for help. :)

Roadr440 01-13-2011 04:47 AM

Great post ACT1ONpac, Thanks! I like your #2 :)

Read everything you can get your hands on about Alcoholism.

Believe in yourself, most of us have tremendous power within ourselves if we dig hard enough.

mmh364 01-13-2011 04:47 AM

If you write in a daily 'recovery' journal, go back to the beginning and read your notes. Reading the distress your body was going thru can be enough to 'surf the edge' (My new favorite idea!!!!) and hang in there.

Lilly03 01-13-2011 05:05 AM

I remember that a drink is not an option and remind myself that I may not come back. I may not be able to be sober again. I remember all the years lost.

least 01-13-2011 06:07 AM

If I get an urge to drink I ask myself two questions: one; will a drink improve the situation, and two; do I really want to feel like sh!t the next day and hate myself for caving in? I rarely have to ask the second question.:)

HFA 01-13-2011 09:10 AM

I think about having to tell everyone who is in a "and under" thread with me. How it would feel to tell them. My GF would be sympathetic and understanding, but those here would feel the pain.

Giraffe 01-13-2011 09:23 AM

Someone here mentioned To think it through. I like that.

If I think: I would love a drink now... - I ask myself: and then what?
Knowing that the answer to that is another and another and another all night long and it still wont stop that feeling.

tallcactus 01-13-2011 06:57 PM

That's my favorite: Think it threw.
Many times this one kept me sober.
I think about the arrest, the fee's/fines and all the yet's to come if I continue to drink.