Notices

Beginning Day #4

Old 01-12-2011, 06:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Beginning Day #4

Hello All this is my first post. Been drinking 5-7 beers almost every day for around 13 years. It has not stopped me from being a fairly successful person. I started a small business a few years ago and I only drink after I was no longer visible to others. Once everything for the day was taken care - I go to my room and work thru a sixxer or more. Although perhaps a little sluggish in the AM I have had no major problems "yet".
I will go to local to bars 2 times a week and have my 3 or so - than go home and finish the job. I am 36 and single and fairly sure that Beer has helped make this possible and added to isolation. I am entering day 4 and so far I feel pretty good no shakes or tremors.
The 2 biggest reasons that made me want to quit is that although I enjoy getting my buzz - AS soon as I am done with the last beer I immediately feel guilty. My first thought when I wake up is in the AM is .. OK how much did I drink last night was it 4 or 5 or 7 or 8 ?? In other words I thought about how the first hour of the day was going to be. Then while in the shower I'd say ughhh I feel like crap I'm not gonna drink today. Than on the way home from work I'd stop grab a six and say well I PROBABLY won't drink this today..blehh. Before I know it I'm finishing the last one and feeling the guilt again.
Another reason is some severe dehydration issues dry scalp,puffy face etc. and overall lethargy and not eating healthy at all - especially lately.
So after being particularly hung over 3 days ago I did not pick up that 6 pack, and tonight if I do it will be the fourth night.
My parents are both alcoholics and it is up to me to stop the maddness.

Last edited by NoBeerChris; 01-12-2011 at 06:17 AM. Reason: email notify
Old 01-12-2011, 06:27 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey, Chris. Your story is so much like mine. I was doing all my serious drinking at home, every night. Picking up extra on my way home after meeting friends for a couple drinks. I don't think anyone knew. It went on so long I couldn't even imagine a night without booze.

This site has been a huge help to me. Keep reading and posting—you'll see there are a ton of people who have been through this, and are now not just sober, but much happier. No more guilt—just freedom to spend your nights however you want, no longer a slave to that six pack!
Old 01-12-2011, 06:38 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Proud Neonephalist

Hi Chris

A little over six months ago I came here on my forth day of being sober as well, and SR has been instrumental in my staying sober since then. Give yourself a mighty pat on the back for making the choice now, instead of in another 13 years when chances are the progressive nature of alcoholism would have you in a much bleaker place.

Welcome aboard!

Murray
Old 01-12-2011, 07:01 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Chris, welcome to SR, think of how much more successful you can be w/o those regular hangovers/guilt, it's amazing how much more time we have to do things when we're not spending hours drinking. STick around there's lots of great people here.
Old 01-12-2011, 08:06 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Chris,
I am also on Day 4. My issue is/was wine . . . I start drinking at about 5p and usually finish off a bottle to a bottle and a half every night. On the weekends I tend to drink more. I found this website the other day in desperation on Day 1. I think I just woke up on Day 1 and said "enough is enough!" I am truly blessed to have found such a great community to be able to log on to each day. I tried AA a few months ago but just didn't feel comfortable sharing. So, I went back to my crutch, wine. I think that I will be able to go back to AA eventually. This site has made it possible for me to share some things that I can only share with other "users."

FYI~The other night I watched a series of videos about the life of alcoholics and the toll that alcohol has taken on their bodies. That really was an "eye opener" for me! I realize at this point I am not suffering from serious physical ailments but I could be on my way if I don't stop now! I believe it was called "Rain in the Heart." If someone knows the actually name or link that would be helpful. Good luck to you and keep logging on.
Old 01-12-2011, 09:09 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Welcome Chris! Congrats on day 4. You will find a lot of support here. Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 01-12-2011, 09:33 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Wow what a great series of responses in so little time, I actually am changing my life for the better. So far there is only that hour or so a night where I look at my car keys and say hmmm "only takes a min to get that Saranac sixer... than I picture myself dry heaving in the shower, or dodging mirrors because I look all bloated.. or feeling the empty gross guilty feeling - there are so many negatives that I run them across my brain like a check list of sorts. So far it has been pretty easy to convince myself that the Beers provide little if any positive pleasure other than the immediate dosage of relaxation ... I have already noticed an appetite increase..I am going to avoid social drinking situations for awhile. I have not told anyone about what I am doing b/c I hid it pretty well anyway. I'm waiting for the first person to tell me I look good, yeah thats gonna feel great. Knowing that positive things are happening to me everyday physically & mentally will keep me on the tracks ! This is the first time I have tried this with any conviction in addition I have already saved(7X4) 28.00 towards my whatever I want fund..Together with some willpower and logic I will win.
Old 01-12-2011, 09:52 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Awesome Chris! Good for you. You can do this, it is up to you.
Old 01-12-2011, 10:03 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Way to go! It's amazing how much you start to look, and especially feel, better.
Old 01-12-2011, 01:24 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi Chris, Like you, I used to stop off on the way home from work and buy a six pack and drink it all alone. I stopped for about 10 days this past Christmas. I'm back to day one again. You have reminded me of the benefits of quitting.... looking better, feeling better, not being a slave to a six pack of beer. We can do this!!!!!
Old 01-12-2011, 03:34 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ladyfierce View Post
Hi Chris, Like you, I used to stop off on the way home from work and buy a six pack and drink it all alone. I stopped for about 10 days this past Christmas. I'm back to day one again. You have reminded me of the benefits of quitting.... looking better, feeling better, not being a slave to a six pack of beer. We can do this!!!!!
Wow 10 days and during the holidays, thats an accomplishment. I'm struggling with the fact that I had a really awesome productive day and I deserve a beer...deserve...but I had a productive day b/c I did not have 6 or 7 bud cans last night. RIGHT ??

AND YES WE CAN !
Old 01-12-2011, 03:48 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

You're making a great decision Chris, and it sounds like you're doing well.

Good for you!
Old 01-12-2011, 03:57 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome Chris! Glad you are here
Old 01-12-2011, 04:14 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Old 01-12-2011, 04:40 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Proud Neonephalist

Originally Posted by NoBeerChris View Post
Together with some willpower and logic I will win.
Then you might like to read some of these links;

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...rch-links.html

Murray
Old 01-12-2011, 04:59 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thanks Murray, that was a good read I like seeing into the mechanical reasoning I am not particularly spiritual either and I don't think meetings are for me. I'm attacking this as a breakdown as if something is broken and fixing it.
Old 01-12-2011, 05:04 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hey, Murray, thanks from me too for posting that thread. Good stuff—can't wait to dive in deeper!
Old 01-12-2011, 08:10 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

My biggest problem right now is I'm not tired and cant fall asleep.. same problem I had before I drank everyday forever ago,... benadryl ?
Old 01-12-2011, 08:56 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Proud Neonephalist

I used to have trouble falling asleep, or waking up in the middle of the night and not being able to fall asleep again for a couple hours. What worked for me was drinking milk about an hour before going to bed...in the process of digesting the milk it somehow helps your brain make more melatonin, which helps you sleep better.

Since stopping drinking, I don't have any more sleep issues at all (I think it took about three months for sleeping problems to drift away)

Murray
Old 01-13-2011, 04:31 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

yeah I have had this problem FOREVER, but not when I drink.. Up until this week I would smoke a lil pot,drink .. and repeat. I will not use the pot b/c it triggers drinking so I am going to try chamomile tea (sp) ? My most difficult time is bed time. At the same time a drinking induced sleep is a bad sleep often accompanied with nightmares of helplessness. Although I only got 4 hours of sleep I feel great. Go figure...