Notices

Even Farmers

Old 01-12-2011, 05:51 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

OK, wow, I read all of this. I want to thank all of you. Wow, I need to read this a 10o times. Takes that many times to get it though my thick head.

I was on Lithium in 87 trying to save the marriage that never should have happened but it did and we have 3 great kids and now five of the most beautiful little grandkids you ever met but you know how that is with grandparents.

Told my support system what I did and they said go for it, whatever keeps you sober. Gotta go wipe my eyes so I can type.

I am on Seroquel, left the Pristiq, too much medication in one day. You can't mix the beer and the Seroquel so it helps me not drink because I know I can't and I want a long nights sleep. I had that last night.

Today I am supposed to speak in front of 1000 top farmers, the weather is nasty but I can make it.

I have always just slipped by never got into legal trouble just moral and physical trouble.

That is drinking for me.

The farm has helped keep me alive. I will do anything to keep it but if I knew there one was treatment center that could treat me and keep me sober the next 20 years I would sell the farm.

I haven't found it. If it is to be, it is up to me. I can't trust myself to do that so I am back to the counselor, he is good, makes me accountable.

That is the most supportive bunch of posts I ever read and I thank you sincerely.

I am a good person but I am an alcoholic. That was so hard to announce but my dear wife helped me realize it. I realize all of you are the same way so a forum is good for us.

You untoxicated people, I am going to need your help. I trust you already because you seem to understand my plea.

I don't want to be sober yet but I have to be to be me. The real me.

Bi Polar is one thing, too much for anyone to have to deal with but add the booze on top of that and oh my you have the prescription for deep, deep trouble.

I do not like trouble.

Thanks again all of you and now back to read this one more time before I try and go and not make a fool out of myself.
Old 01-12-2011, 07:42 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

When you say I don't want to be sober yet, but I want to be. You are on your way to recovery.
SH
Old 01-12-2011, 07:50 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Hey Farmer.

I too am the first generation off the farm . . .

Look, nothing will change until you put down the booze and leave it there. No matter how your addictive voice screams to you to pick-up a few, it will be different this time, you deserve it! No you don't. You don't deserve to die early. You don't deserve to miss out on the life you have because you are drunk.

It isn't easy. But it is simple. Don't pick up the first drink. If the idea of NEVER drinking again scares you like it does a lot of us, then just make the decision not to drink today. Tomorrow make the same choice. And so on.

You really can have a better life. I'm only a month sober, but I feel so much better now. At first I liked to drink, but it has been a long time since it has been much fun for me. That is why I stopped.

I wish you the best.
Old 01-12-2011, 08:33 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Welcome farmer!
I tried quitting on my own countless times. But, never succeeded. I finally realized I am the kind of person who does better with a support system and a lot of structure. I find that in AA. But, AA is not the only thing around. There are alternatives like Smart recovery. You might also check out if there are any outpatient treatment options in your area. In house rehab is a great option, but not the only treatment program you can use.
Old 01-12-2011, 09:52 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Hi Farmer, welcome to SR. I don't remember ever even setting foot on a farm but your post resonated with me as well, no matter how different our lives and situations may be the 'problem with alcohol' unites us all and if we all reach out and hold on to each other it becomes a whole lot easier to stay standing and not fall.
Old 01-12-2011, 04:12 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Hey Farmer - Just wanted to say welcome from a fellow farmer. It is in our blood and my stubborn pride kept me drunk for longer than I care to remember. I am sober 3+ years now, mainly with the support of the good folks here. I tried AA in the beginning, but there was just never enough time for meetings with the farm and the family, so I did some reading of their literature on my own and came here every day, read and posted and didn't drink. We farmers all grow up the same - fierce, strong and independent - we will go to any lengths to hold onto our land and our ways - use that same fierce strength and tenacity, and put it towards getting sober.

If I can, you can.

Jomey
Old 01-17-2012, 11:25 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

hi farmer--i'm a farmer too---i'm much younger but struggling just the same---looking for some other sober or trying sober farmer aquiantances---please write back
Old 01-17-2012, 11:50 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Welcome Farmer! I am new here too!! It takes courage to admit we have a problem! You are heading in the right direction!! I will be praying for you!! Lind
Old 01-17-2012, 11:51 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Welcome Farmer! I am new here too!! It takes courage to admit we have a problem! You are heading in the right direction!! I will be praying for you!! Lind
Old 01-17-2012, 11:51 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

Hey Farmer. Welcome to SR. You are in the right place. I go to AA meetings about an hour from where you are. You'd probably enjoy the Sunday night and Wednesday night meetings. Both are closed meetings, meaning only for folks who want to stop drinking, so you'd have to attend alone, unless with another alcoholic. PM me if you want to know where they are. I would think Wilmington might have good meetings too, but I'm down near Cinci. I've heard there are good meetings near Milford, too, and can connect you with someone in AA who can tell you which ones. Let me know if I can help. If nothing else, keep posting. You are in the right place.
Old 01-17-2012, 02:42 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Administrator

This is an old thread bumped up guys

Not sure where the OP is now but I hope he's doing well

Welcome to you Seed - You'll find a lot of support here
D