Notices

Newcomer

Old 01-11-2011, 11:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Newcomer

Hi everyone, I am new here, and on day 1 of withdrawl from oxycodone. I have been in pain management for 8 years, and my dose was up to 240mg per day. ANY advice, or help would be GREATLY appreciated! I am a mom of 2 kids, and have no insurance, or time to go anywhere for help- even if there was any. So, I've gotta do this cold turkey. I have some valium I was prescribed for anxiety, as well as Seroquil for sleep issues, but my skin is crawling, and I am SO depressed. IN AGONY- HELP!!!!
Old 01-11-2011, 02:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hang in there. You can do it. The first little while is the hardest and once your body is free from the habit, you will feel like gold. GOLD.

Get up, get out and get busy. Walk around the mall or go out with friends. Take your kids out to paint pottery. Just keep really busy and don't break. You are here among friends and if you read the posts who have been doing this for a while, you will see that you are not alone and that you can really do this. You were brave enough to start down this path and I bet you will make it.

Happy you are here!
Old 01-11-2011, 04:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome!

Good for you for deciding to live a sober life.

Have you talked to your dr about stopping the drugs?

I hope you feel better.
Old 01-11-2011, 06:12 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the best recovery site everywhere. Take a look at our substance abuse forum for lots of support and useful information.

Substance Abuse - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
Old 01-11-2011, 06:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Welcome to SR, glad you are here.
Old 01-11-2011, 06:17 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!! You may want to check out the substance abuse forum, too..between here and there, there are a lot of people in similar situations, several that have good recovery time.

I also agree with being under a dr's care..it always helps. I also want to warn you about using the valium and seroquel...sometimes when we're going through withdrawal or a tough time, we'll abuse something else. I've done it a few times before I finally chose recovery.

Glad you are here!

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 01-11-2011, 06:32 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

all I can say is yo're not alone - I am on day 1 too of an addiction to opiates. I hope you're hanging in there. I too felt like utter dog doo all day, not to mention the scum of the universe - but a nap has helped a bit. Still physically all wonky. I think the first day of something like this you simply try to distract yourself, ask for support, gentle yourself through it, and if you make it, don't forget to celebrate. It's 9:20 eastern time in the US...almost there!

I wouldn't presume to give advice about how to safely withdraw from anything -I'm not a Dr. - but I have been in treatment, as well as gone to oh about 5 bazillion AA meetings in the course of trying to get well over 7 years. And I can tell you that Valium is generally considered an addictive substance in its own right. My former sponsor was fond of the line "Any time you reach for a chemical solution to a spiritual malady, that's your disease."

I hope you won't consider that preachy or insensitive of me to say. You can only do what you can do today.

I wouldn't let the no insurance, no psychiatrist thing mess with your mind too much. I know a great many more people who have actually recovered who just do AA. I met many in treatment on their 36th or 28th or 13th time in treatment. I always think of the stories in the big book about how the "pioneers" of AA tried every treatment facility in the US and abroad, every eminent psychiatrist on the planet (we're talking dudes who could afford to go to Switzerland or wherever he lived and become patients of people like Freud or Jung) and none of that ever made a dent in the progress of their addictions.

Anyway, speaking from my own e.s.&h., your mind is going to be telling you ways and reasons you can't make it. So share those with others honestly like you did, and rely on other people's minds for a while to remind you how you can make it!