Notices

Danced sober..first "test"

Old 01-11-2011, 07:30 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Grateful

Danced sober..first "test"

What a weekend. Met up with a friend who I've been avoiding for some time b/c she is an absolute trainwreck (used with her all the time over past year though could never keep up with her much as i tried!!) and in my recent quest to get healthy I really need to not be around sick people. At 3 in the afternoon on Saturday I met her at a bar where she had 2 drinks and I sipped coffee. We talked and she begged me to go out with her since 'I never go out anymore and I owe her a night out'. So I said yes, since I do feel I can handle it, though I did invite another friend of ours who also loves to go out and who I thought would be a good source of support for me. So the night comes around and it ends up just being my supportive friend and me (my other friend, who invited me in first place, couldn't go...too hungover from night before!!). We danced the night away sober (both of us!) and it was a blast. We went to a place where the last time I went there i was in black out mode pretty much the entire time. So liberating to come home sober, get a great night's sleep, and wake up remembering the fun we had and get to my yoga class which i LOVE and would miss ALL the time b/c it's on a Sunday morning...happy
Old 01-11-2011, 07:56 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Wow! Good for you! I have a friend like that also. I'm afraid I won't be able to hang out with her much since she drinks like a fish and I'm trying to get sober. Glad you were able to go out without the use of alcohol. I'm just not ready for that at all yet. . . . Too soon. Good luck and God Bless!
Old 01-11-2011, 08:02 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Grateful

Thanks Nissan...yes, it's hard, i really love this friend and want to be there for her (she's going through a really rough time, huge part of why she's trainwreck) but I can't be around her that much in my own need to be sane. I have gone out sober in the past but never with this sense of permanency..it was always 'I'll do this for a month or two'..knowing I will reward myself in the future with being able to go back to drinking/using. This new commitment to NEVER is both overwhelming yet so very LIBERATING!

also...having my other friend as a 'buffer' was also my safety net, in case I did get tempted. She is VERY supportive of my decision and always helps keeps me focused on WHY we're out in the first place..our love for the music, not anything else
Old 01-11-2011, 08:15 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

This is terrible to say but sometimes those friends serve as a reminder why we don't want to drink anymore! I'm not in a position right now to help her because I'm still so new to all of this. . . I hope one day I can help her. However, I wonder if we would even have anything in common if we both quit drinking!