Notices

Here I go again...

Old 01-10-2011, 05:00 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Smile Here I go again...

I have never been consistently sober. Sure I tried, but staying an alcoholic is way easier than recovering.
I started drinking when I was around twelve, and now I'm 18, and brand new to this sobriety thing.
I don't think anyone expects to face this, but here I am, facing it, scared ********.

Just introducing myself is all, really.

This is my first day of sobriety, and I really don't want it to be the last.
Old 01-10-2011, 05:20 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Dismember

Welcome Olivedoodle.

Easier to stick to working a 24 hour block than the million hours of a lifetime. Get through a day at a time and it gets easier and easier.
Old 01-10-2011, 05:25 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome. You will find a lot of support here. You are taking the bravest step. Read a lot, post a lot and keep us updated on how you are doing...
Old 01-10-2011, 06:17 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome, Olivedoodle (that's a great name!).

I couldn't imagine life without alcohol. The concept was alien to me; I was especially scared that the nights would be cold and empty. Turns out I had everything backwards. Life without alcohol is warm and happy, and now my biggest fear is that I'll relapse and have a drink.

It's hard at first, but it gets easier. You can do it!
Old 01-10-2011, 06:50 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family! I too didn't know what I'd do with myself sober. Turns out I can do anything, and do it better to boot! I've stayed sober one day at a time now for over a year and I'm happier than I've been in a long time. I see a happy future for me if I just don't drink.
Old 01-10-2011, 06:51 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

How am I going to wash the car without a beer!, turns out it gets done faster now. LOL

Hang in there. Don't drink. I was amazed at how many people don't drink when I got sober.
Old 01-10-2011, 08:36 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome Olive,

So glad you are here with us. Keep us updated
Old 01-10-2011, 09:12 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bigbook View Post
How am I going to wash the car without a beer!, turns out it gets done faster now. LOL

Hang in there. Don't drink. I was amazed at how many people don't drink when I got sober.
I used to tell myself "everyone drinks, you just got to learn how to handle your liquor" . Turns out, a lot of people out there don't drink. Nearly everyone in my family drinks, and all my friends drink, because thats who I surrounded myself with. Once you sober up, and open up your eyes, you realize that drinking isn't all it cracked up to be. Theres something like 20 million alcoholics in the usa. The majority of them, are in denial, or don't care anymore. You have something special. You have the self awareness to admit you have a problem, and to do what it takes to fix that problem. Consider yourself lucky. Most alcoholics aren't prepared to deal with their problem, or simply don't have the self-awareness to deal with it, and will continue to drink until they die. You have been given an opportunity to derail this nonsense and to live a better life. Maybe you were chosen, and given the self-awareness that is required to conquer this. That makes you one of the lucky ones
Old 01-10-2011, 09:17 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hello, and welcome!

Just take it one day at a time, as has been said. I did after being a drunk for thirty years.
Please don't put yourself through the nightmare I've been through.

Go to a meeting, pray if you beleive. Do the ground work for setting a good foundation for sobriety. It can be done!

Many of us here are doing it, one day at a time.

Hope to hear more from you.
Old 01-10-2011, 12:20 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Olivedoodle

It's a great decision you're making

Like Isaiah said - maybe it's easier in think of terms of today?
I will not drink today sounded a lot more achievable to me than forever

It is scary - but you're not alone here - there's a lot of help and support
Welcome!

D
Old 01-10-2011, 04:46 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone.

I smiled when I saw so many people jumped to reply.

I'm not going to drink today.

I'm going to do something productive instead.
Old 01-10-2011, 09:59 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
SR Fan

hi olive - good for you for realizing you have a problem and for wanting to do something about it. It takes courage to do that!

It might be easier to keep drinking but alcoholism is progressive - it only gets worse, never better. And you never know when something really bad could happen because of it.

One thing I really like about getting sober is that I know I'm being the best person I can be. It's not always easy (especially at first), but I'm proud of myself for doing it, and my life is a lot more successful these days.

Hang in there! (One day at a time!)
Old 01-10-2011, 10:05 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Wow, you are only 18. That is really excellent. I hope you realize the gift that you have. If you get this sobriety thing now, you will save yourself so much pain and grief.

I am glad that you found us. Welcome aboard.
Old 01-10-2011, 11:11 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Snarf Snarf

Welcome, and thanks for joining us! I gave up the booze over 9 months ago and it's the greatest gift I could've given to myself and those that care about me. When I was drinking, I couldn't imagine a sober day, and now I can't imagine what it would be like to go back to the bottle.

Actually, I can imagine, and that's a big part of what keeps me away from it.

I tried to kick the alcohol many times in my youth, and it took until nearly my 29th birthday before I was able to do it with some success. Sure wish I had those years back. Most people get upset when they're nearing 30; I can't wait for my 30th birthday in May because it will put my 20s, in which I made awfully poor decisions and created a mess of my life, in the rearview mirror. Hopefully you get to experience that decade in a positive manner. Keeping alcohol out of your life will help greatly with that.
Old 01-10-2011, 11:45 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Today has already been better than any day I drank.

I am so grateful for finding this forum when I did.
Old 01-11-2011, 09:01 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Olive Welcome! Glad you are with us and looking forward to the journey.

You have our support and I can say that I have found so much joy in my life by getting sober. This life is amazing
Old 01-11-2011, 09:12 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Good for you in checking out the sober life. My Son got sober in AA at 20, 9 years ago. I came in at 28. Anytime is a good time to start to live better.

I sponsor one fellow who sobered up at 17, 22 years ago...you won't be the youngest around. Think you'll be surprised at how little age matters among us.
Old 01-11-2011, 09:32 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Good for you Olive...I sure wish I would have had the sense that you do at 18. Would have saved myself from a lot of problems and heartache over the years. Please keep us posted on your journey.
Old 01-11-2011, 12:49 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Glad to know you are improving your future...