Notices

New guy looking to have a sober life, day1

Old 01-09-2011, 06:30 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New guy looking to have a sober life, day1

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forums and hopefully can call myself new to a sober life in the future. I'm turning 26 next month and I have been drinking daily for about 4 or 5years. This is about $150 a week habbit and I drink to the point of blacking out daily and have done so for a few years now. I have a good but stessful job which I blame my drinking for even though I know thats not an excuse and I just need to harden up and get over this. I can't say that I have ever tried to quit and I have no idea why I woke up an hour ago and found this forum but something feels right about it and for the first time ever I think i've just admitted to myself that this is a very serious problem and I do need help and support. I've put many things off in my life for the past few years because when I'm not in the office I'm at home drunk.

I've done a bit of reading on this site and see that its not safe just to stop without seeing a doctor, seeing a doctor in itself is a pretty scary thought as I don't ever go for regular checkups or anything like that and the fear of the damage i've done to my body over the years is not a easy thing to face.

I also believe I've developed some sort of anxiety over the past few years. Not sure what that is about as never had anything like that growing up but seem to now a little.

anyhow, not sure what I'm going on about but I'm glad I found this site and just wanted to introduce myself.
Old 01-09-2011, 06:41 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome! I find this site extremely helpful and I'm sure you will too! Alcohol can cause anxiety so perhaps there's a cause and effect happening there....your doctor has seen it all before and it's better to get checked out as detoxing can be dangerous to some. Good luck!
Old 01-09-2011, 06:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
the illogical vulcan

Stick around this is a great place to come get things off your chest and talk to good people who understand what you're going through.
Old 01-09-2011, 07:00 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Rez572... I am so happy that you have decided to take action on your drinking. Please do everything you can to stop.
Old 01-09-2011, 07:02 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hey, Rez, welcome to SR! I found this site on my Day 1 (I just realized that was three weeks ago today!). It's been a huge source of information and support.
Old 01-09-2011, 07:11 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you all for the kind welcome! I never would have thought a group online like this would exist, very glad I found this site, I think it will play a big role in getting my life together.

ReadAndAble - congrats on 3weeks! That is something to be very proud of!
Old 01-09-2011, 07:25 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks, Rez. I am feeling great these days. I was terrified of quitting because I couldn't imagine life without alcohol; turns out it is sooooo much better (who knew?).

You should also know that I'm 43—which means I had my first drink right around the time you were born. If I can do it, you can do it!
Old 01-09-2011, 07:33 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Welcome!

Re the anxiety--you may be happily surprised to find that with a few weeks/months of not drinking, the anxiety is almost completely gone. I say that because you say it's a relatively recent development.

In my case, what I called "anxiety" was actually daily withdrawal from alcohol, coupled with anxiety-producing fears of where my drinking was leading me: would I get jammed up for a driving mistake when I *think* I'm OK to drive, would I forget to pay an important bill, would I make a serious mistake at work because I wasn't focused, you get the idea.

Once I got the alcohol completely out of my system and the normal early-sobriety fog started to lift, I found the only anxiety I had was normal anxiety--from work stresses or other explainable events. It wasn't a constant companion, and I needed no treatment for it (other than to learn to deal with the situations that caused it).

Roll with this inspiration you have--it will completely change your life, and you will avoid the wasted (in the literal and figurative sense) years that so many of us had.
Old 01-09-2011, 07:37 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Rock on Rez, you can do this
Old 01-09-2011, 07:38 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ReadyAndAble View Post
Thanks, Rez. I am feeling great these days. I was terrified of quitting because I couldn't imagine life without alcohol; turns out it is sooooo much better (who knew?).

You should also know that I'm 43—which means I had my first drink right around the time you were born. If I can do it, you can do it!
That is definitely encouraging! That's what everyone on here seems to say to, that life is great once they quit. I can tell I'm already going to struggle with this, on Sunday I usually start around right now (10-11AM) and drink all day into the evening. I just dumped about $40 worth of beer down the drain and at this point wasnt a good feeling - I know it'll be tough not to end up at the beer store at noon when it opens today

Just going to have to find a few things to keep me busy and my mind off things for the day until work starts tomorrow.
Old 01-09-2011, 07:50 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LexieCat View Post
Welcome!

Re the anxiety--you may be happily surprised to find that with a few weeks/months of not drinking, the anxiety is almost completely gone. I say that because you say it's a relatively recent development.

In my case, what I called "anxiety" was actually daily withdrawal from alcohol, coupled with anxiety-producing fears of where my drinking was leading me: would I get jammed up for a driving mistake when I *think* I'm OK to drive, would I forget to pay an important bill, would I make a serious mistake at work because I wasn't focused, you get the idea.

Once I got the alcohol completely out of my system and the normal early-sobriety fog started to lift, I found the only anxiety I had was normal anxiety--from work stresses or other explainable events. It wasn't a constant companion, and I needed no treatment for it (other than to learn to deal with the situations that caused it).

Roll with this inspiration you have--it will completely change your life, and you will avoid the wasted (in the literal and figurative sense) years that so many of us had.
Hi Lexie, This is pretty much the first time i've ever thought about quiting (I thought I was having fun) and the more I think about it the anxiety is going to be another big issue I need to overcome. I hope you are right in that it will get better once I have soberd up for some time. I know a lot of it comes from stressful things that happen at work and I seem to think alcohol takes the edge off a little, but your probably right in that it comes on because i'm starting to withdrawl during the day because i'm not my usual off my face drunk.
Old 01-09-2011, 08:28 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome Rez! I agree with the others about the anxiety and can totally relate. I can remember waking up the next morning after yet another blackout night and the anxiety was horrendous! Glad you found this site and wish you the best!
Old 01-09-2011, 08:37 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Originally Posted by Rez572 View Post
your probably right in that it comes on because i'm starting to withdrawl during the day because i'm not my usual off my face drunk.
That's EXACTLY what I'm talking about. I would wake up feeling anxious, it would build during the day and it didn't go away until I came home from work and got my "dose" of booze.

The disappearance of the daily feelings of dread and impending doom were enough to keep me on a "high" for several months. As my mom used to say, it's like hitting yourself in the head with a hammer because it feels so good when you stop!

Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of challenges in early sobriety as well--and most of us have a lot of garbage from the past we need to deal with down the road (which AA's 12-Step program helps to address), but a lot of us feel awesomely better from a physical and mental standpoint within a matter of a few weeks.
Old 01-09-2011, 08:38 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi Rez. Glad you found this site. Stick around and good luck to you!
Old 01-09-2011, 08:45 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

WElcome to the family! I drank to 'medicate' anxiety and depression but of course I was just making them worse. I've got a year sober now and glad to say the anxiety and depression are very manageable now and my meds are able to work properly since I'm not drowning their effects in alcohol every day.
Old 01-09-2011, 02:00 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

You've gotten some good advice here already Rez - I agree with Lexie's experience on the anxiety - so I'll just say welcome

D
Old 01-09-2011, 05:43 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Same here. All "anxiety" was gone around the third week for me. It got to where on certain days I couldn't even sign my name..too shaky. And once I was off work and hit the alcohol I was cool as a cucumber again. Wicked cycle! So happy you found us..I wish you the best in your recovery. And I also relate to the dread and impending doom. BUT I did feel it. People all around me were getting DUIs. Car wrecks. Two deaths that were alcohol related in a short period of time. I can't describe how much better I feel these days. It is seriously like finally waking up..all fog is gone. Welcome!
Old 01-09-2011, 06:03 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome, Rez!

I would add my belief that the anxiety will lessen when you stop drinking. I still have anxiety issues to deal with, but it is manageable now.

I'm glad you found us!
Old 01-09-2011, 06:18 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome Rez - Glad you're looking to take your life back - things can be really good again! It will take a few days to begin to see the benefits of sobriety, so hang in there (and hang out here with us - it helps to read and post and read some more).

Get a good Vitamin B-Complex in addition to a multi...... Don't get too hungry either. You can do it (one day at a time!):ghug3
Old 01-09-2011, 07:32 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Welcome, Rez! It sounds like you do have a serious problem, despite being young and having a good job. I hope you find this forum to be as helpful as I have. It's really good that you're checking in with a doctor, especially because you're drinking heavily and daily. I've had a bad anxiety disorder for my whole life, but alcohol made it worse. Yours might get worse in withdrawal, but it passes, I promise! Sundays are really hard for me as well. I've never liked them and they were major drinking days.