Notices

New guy looking to have a sober life, day1

Old 01-09-2011, 08:14 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome...

You are going to see many of us who are winning over alcohol
Thanks for joining with us.

Keep posting...we know how difficult early sobriety can be.
Old 01-10-2011, 01:07 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Welcome Rez, Glad you are here and know you have our support.

Lots of good info in this thread and what I will add is that life has improved in every single way since I got sober. My recovery has helped me with past issues, health concerns, well you name it. I am a whole new me and enjoying life again after way to many years of drinking.

Plenty of folks here successfully living sober lives and reaping all the rewards!

Looking forward to the journey.
Old 01-10-2011, 01:35 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Welcome Rez, I'm glad that you found this forum and glad to see you want change in your life. Although you been drinking heavy for 5 years, your still at the stage that you can change without having everything lost with some people here. You have a good job, your young at 25 and you can understand why you have a problem. Try to take steps now to avoid a DUI, losing a job or family/friends' members. If you decide to quit drinking all together then remember that you don't have to do it alone. If you feel the urge to drink then come to the forum or go to AA or others like SOS or even go see your family doctor about it. He/she will most likely give you some information on how to control the drink or for you stop drinking all together. Life is tough sometimes but you don't have to go through it alone and you will alway have support here.
Old 01-10-2011, 02:03 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Hi there! It is possible to stop, and it is equally possible to go back drinking. Thats why u need all the support u can get to maintain your sobriety. I hope you do it. Also, u may have a depressive or anxiety disorder thru drinking, it does cause your nervous system and glands to run amok when u are binge drinking. So this is a fantastic time to start afresh. Hope u do it
Old 01-10-2011, 05:38 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Welcome Rez 572

Glad you have found us all on this website.

Re you seeing the Doc...I was dreading seeing mine re all my alcohol problems. However, it was not half as bad, he is a professional + wasnt scary at all, plus he gave me a reality check on my health.

If I was aware 20 yrs ago (am now 41) what alcohol can do to you physically, I would have taken it a bit easy. The problems I have now eg. neurpathy (pain/numbness in legs + hands), proximal myopathy (malnutrition), liver damage, deficient in B vitamins and so on. The are things I had never heard of whilst growing up. So that was a bit of a shocker, specially as chances are that the neuropathy may never improve.

Good luck and take care.

J x
Old 01-14-2011, 04:21 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Wow. I can't thank you all enough for the kind welcomes, advice and sharing your experiences with me. I wish I was coming to visit and update everyone on how many days it's been but I honestly didn't make it. I never really even broke my daily routine but I have done one thing. I've been paying more attention to my daily drinking habit and I'm drinking/spending even more than what I had initially thought.

I booked today and Monday off work so I have some time to myself to focus on getting a few days sober. From what I've read here a lot of folks find weekends tough because they get bored, but honestly its to the point where stress of my job along with the anxiety that may come throughout the day makes me really need that drink as soon as I get home. I think the time off, as little as it may seem should help me a bit, even though its such a small factor in all of this. This is something I know needs to happen, it's not really a option to continue so I'm taking trying to get better very seriously even though I've yet to make it a day.

Thank you all once again, I hope everyone is doing well.