Notices

Ok, here goes...

Old 01-10-2011, 08:59 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Wow. I hate to keep showering you guys with "thank yous" but I guess I never expected this much feedback. So...thank you. : )

First, I guess, I should give more info on my personal experience(s). When I was about 15, I had my first drink. Didn't like any of it. Beer...bourbon...none of it. Where I grew up, it was the culture. Even the parents (not mine, but most) allowed it and therefore supported it. So, in other words, it was in some sense "expected" of me to drink. I remember times in which I would sneak away at parties and pour my drink out.

Anyway...

In my early to mid 20's, I began to be able to hold alcohol down and enjoy it to some extent....BUT, I would get WAY too drunk and make a total fool of myself. This would come across as "funny" to my friends and acquaintances.

Fast forward...now, in my late 20's and early 30's (present), I NEVER blackout. I NEVER have hangovers. The amount I drink has not increased or decreased AT ALL in at least the last 10 years. I would never claim that this cannot or will not change. I'm just saying... Also, I CANNOT drink during the day (never have the urge). It doesn't affect my work. It is just habit. It's like I say to myself, "Ok, I've given all I can to this day work-wise, relationship-wise, etc. Now, it is my time to relax and enjoy myself." If I don't drink, then I just feel (like I said earlier) BORED. Of course, I have other passions in life...reading, science, some sports, whatever...but, they are not fun if I don't drink at the same time. Now, take for instance...if I was to watch a movie with friends and/or family on a random Saturday afternoon. That would not fall into the aforementioned category because that would not be consistent with "my drinking time". Does that make sense?

A question. So, does anyone here believe or has anyone ever heard of an admitted alcoholic truly learning to drink like a normal individual and sticking to it? Be honest. I seem to remember coming across research which suggests this is possible.

Why do I ask? Well, almost all of my friends drink. I could call these people family in all honesty. I am very lucky to have a wonderful core circle of friends, and I never take them for granted. None of them drink like I do. Like I said, most of my drinking is done in private, and they most likely know that. It would be very sad for me to not be able to enjoy ONE good scotch or ONE good beer (and I don't mean some mass produced domestic lager either) with them on occasion.

Next question. In your opinion, what should I do? I have been to one-on-one counselors in the past. I am very grateful for the experiences. It was suggested each time that I go to group therapy. This is the closest I have ever come to "group therapy". Allow me to add that I recently moved to a very small town for a really good job....smallest town in which I have ever lived. I am VERY reluctant to go to group meetings...because, for those of you that have never lived in small towns...word gets around. I have an administrative position in my company. It WOULD NOT look good if it were to be found out that I am an alcoholic. In any event, the thought of REAL group therapy scares the heck out of me.

I apologize for my lack of brevity and the stream-of-consciousness deal I have going on here. : )

P.S. Joe, it is funny you say that (re: poker). My father (who used to drink) and a late friend of his (who interestingly enough is the father of one of my dear friends) used to hold poker parties...rotating venues at the participants' homes. To make a long story short, he and his friend would NEVER drink, but provide an open bar. Needless to say, they racked up the winnings! : )
Old 01-10-2011, 09:16 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Welcome DJ, I appreciate the honesty of your post. As much as you have drawn boundaries though, regarding what you will and won't accept- ask yourself- why did you come here and share this? Also to answer your question- if I were you, I would explore Zen Buddhist mediation and philosophy. It involves no deities, afterlife or fairy tales. And, in IMHO, consistent inebriation interferes with the effectiveness of pursuing this.
Old 01-11-2011, 06:01 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Trust me, once you embrace the idea of being sober, it isn't "sad" at all not to have a drink.

I think, personally, that you are just beginning the process of thinking about what to do about your problematic drinking. This isn't a criticism, it is something every one of us goes through.

Many of the things you say in your posts are exactly what I would have said (and did say) for the four and a half years I seriously attempted to moderate my drinking (with the help of an online support group). Although I was able to reduce/moderate my drinking for brief periods of time, I always slipped back and it continued to take over my life.

Finally, I had to admit defeat, which was the beginning of a whole new way of life. I don't miss drinking. At all. The obsession, the feeling at loose ends when you can't drink, is now gone for me. I have freedom I never would have believed possible.

So there is a great life to be had, but you have to really want it, or you will merely feel you are depriving yourself.

People who aren't alcoholic don't "need" to drink. They don't panic at the thought of not being able to.

Keep reading the forums. Try to be very honest with yourself about the success (or lack thereof) in any attempts to moderate. I managed to kid myself for four and a half years that I was "trying" and "improving". I suggest you not continue the experiment for that long.
Old 01-11-2011, 06:57 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

DJ88, My drinking was exactly like yours, "My Time". Every night from about 10p to 12a. I've had the same job for 13 years. Never been arrested. Completely involved in my family life. I'll admit my quitting was involuntary but I'm glad I did it and hope I can stick to it. I had the same attitude that you had though. I had tried to moderate with some limited success many times in the past, but I would always revert back to 8 to 10 beers EVERY night by myself "my time". Moderation never worked for me so I know it had to stop all together. Best of luck with your struggle.
Old 01-11-2011, 06:59 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

My appreciation, again, is sincere. So, it was just a decision? I should say to myself, "I am not going to drink today. I am never going to drink again."? I realize we all have responsibility only to ourselves in these matters, but I guess I have to admit weakness here. What did you guys overtly do to change your habits? In a literal sense. Please trust me when I say that this is difficult for me to talk about...even anonymously.
Old 01-11-2011, 07:55 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Welcome. You can do this. You can.

Keep coming back. Keep reading. Keep posting.
Old 01-11-2011, 08:10 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
A work in progress

After three days of at-home tapering to reduce the effect of my home detox, I poured out every drop of booze in the house. All at once. Empties to the curb. Most of the stemware, too.

The day after my last drink, I went to an AA meeting. I went to 90 meetings in 90 days. I got a sponsor. I am working the Steps.

I haven't had the need (or desire) to pick up a drink for the past two and a half years.
Old 01-11-2011, 08:15 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

You should say, I am not going to drink today. Tomorrow might be another story, but I am staying sober today.
Old 01-11-2011, 08:26 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I think boredom is one of the top reasons for relapse..you see it alot from posts. And it is true..so I filled up time with reading books on addiction. Under the Influence was recommended over and over so I picked up a copy and it is an amazing book. I walk when it is nice..I post alot here..I read ALOT here. There isn't a post anywhere that you will not learn something from. I have wanted to be sober for quite a long time. Once I made it thru the 1st couple of weeks I felt better physically and mental health wise. Most people don't think of not drinking forever. They think "Today I will not drink" and repeat that each day. I don't have a big struggle with it. Lost a couple of people to alcohol related wrecks and illness so it was like an impending doom since it was happening all around me. DUIs are rampent as well. I guess the main thing is you have to NOT want to drink more than any lure you may still hold on to. I think I must have finally drank my quota! My former husband has always thought it is more of a habit ..I raised my eyebrows on this every time it came up. I have a hard time looking at pounding back 18 beers daily as habit. But to each his own!
Old 01-11-2011, 08:41 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

For me, yeah, it was just a decision. The decision was to admit that since every effort at moderation had failed, the only solution was to quit drinking. Period. That was key—to no longer think in terms of amounts and frequency, and just admit it was all or nothing.

The other thing I did was to have a plan to fill my time, adjust my outlook, and stay motivated. SR has been a big part of that. Glad you're looking into this and thinking about it.

A final thought: I made the exact same mistake as you, thinking everything would be boring without alcohol. I've since realized that was a lie, a trick of the addiction. Everything—and I mean everything—is better since I quit.
Old 01-16-2011, 09:01 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

My weekend...

So, I left Thursday night (5:30pm) after work to visit my godson (who is quite literally my favorite human being on Earth)...made it there at 2am. As I refuse to drink and drive (thankfully), this was the first day in (???) that I did not drink my 1 pint quota. Well, I got 5 hours of periodically interrupted sleep that night. Why interruptions? Nightmares. I do not remember specifics at this point...but I know that they were pretty bad. This is another fear of mine when I choose not to drink. Has anyone else experienced this?

Friday night...

I had a couple of beers with a dear friend (my godson's father), and proceeded to drink half a pint of bourbon (plus) whenever everyone else went to bed.

Saturday night...

Pretty much the same for lack of a better description.

Tonight (Sunday)...

I have to get up at 5am to start a 10 hour workday at 7am...and I have just finished approximately 3/4 of a pint (at 11pm) and am about to turn in for the night.

Just being honest. Any thoughts? Random harsh criticisms? : )
Old 01-16-2011, 09:57 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Administrator

I can't see anything new in what you've written so I have no new thoughts DJD.

If you don't make a decision yourself you'll likely have it made for you - maybe your 'alcoholic's body' will betray you, or you'll start losing whatever functionality you have now with your drinking...

Thats the way it worked for me.

It might take years. It might not.

This deal is a one way ticket - it never gets better in my experience....and, if my story is any guage, the last bit of the descent is chillingly sudden.

Most of us drink for as long as we think we can get away with it.
Those of us who survive invariably come to regret we didn't take matters in hand sooner.

Whatever you decide now, I wish you well
D
Old 01-16-2011, 10:13 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

I might be a little heretical here, but I don't think you need to embrace complete abstinence right now. You do need to change something, though, (you know, to fix that alcoholic body and not be so tired at work). If the idea of complete abstinence is stopping you from making changes, then don't think about that right now.

There are programs that discuss moderation, and you can research them. There are also set standards for low risk amounts of drinking, so looking at the difference between your drinking and those amounts can be elucidating.

Even without committing to abstinence forever, maybe trying abstinence for now would be a good thing. One of those moderation plans out there (the main one) has people go 30 days without alcohol to learn new habits.
Old 01-16-2011, 11:46 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

I posted something earlier about non-complete abstenance earlier and now it is removed for good reason by the moderator (I was a bit too enthusiastic). But my point was a valid one. High level alcohol tolerance is dangerous and very strong in terms of physical dependancy. To win the battle but not the war maybe you should consider as a first step addressing your use of strong liquor. Be patient and good luck.
Old 01-17-2011, 01:03 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Administrator

one of the most common misconceptions is that some types of drinks are better or worse for you. There may be differences in calories or quality or whatever - but alcohol is alcohol.

I think it's doubly important we remember that here.

Is beer or wine safer to drink than liquor?
No. One 12-ounce beer has about the same amount of alcohol as one 5-ounce glass of wine, or 1.5-ounce shot of liquor. It is the amount of alcohol consumed that affects a person most, not the type of alcoholic drink.
CDC - Frequently Asked Questions - Alcohol

D
Old 01-17-2011, 01:31 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

No harsh criticisms coming from me, and welcome DJD88!

If you don't know it already, you have made a lot of progress with your thoughts and self examination! So many others out there never question their drinking, never wonder if they might be an alcoholic, and sadly end up at the end of their life as chronic, untreated alcoholics without a clue why things could have gone so wrong.

I am convinced I was born an alcoholic. But, I didn't reach chronic stage, with daily drinking and disastrous consequences, until I was in my mid 40's. I coasted along for many years keeping a distance between myself and alcohol and it worked to an extent. But I have always been an alcoholic. It isn't something that "developed". I never drank normally. I never reacted to alcohol normally. I think I understood that as a young person, especially being the child of alcoholics, so I spent decades erecting barriers between me and alcohol, until it finally won the battle.

You aren't the first person who sees a future without alcohol as bleak indeed. For me it felt like cutting off my arm.

I drank the way you describe your drinking: at home, alone, when others have gone to bed or after I came home from the party or bar, (I am an alcoholic who hated bars). I also saw my drinking time as "my time".

Those two motivations are interesting aren't they? Why did I feel that alcohol gave me that time for myself? Why did I want to be alone when I drank? I have been able to ponder those questions and find some answers to that in recovery...
Old 01-17-2011, 07:26 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by littlefish View Post
Those two motivations are interesting aren't they? Why did I feel that alcohol gave me that time for myself? Why did I want to be alone when I drank? I have been able to ponder those questions and find some answers to that in recovery...
Good points. So, what were the answers to these questions...for you at least? I mean, I know what I think mine are, but I am still curious as to what your answers would be.

It is hard to say this, but the reason I hold on to in regard to not quitting alcohol is...I am scared. That makes me a coward, no doubt. I hate this in that in every other aspect of my life, I have no defeatist attitudes. I demand success. I cannot get a grasp on the alcohol deal, though.
Old 01-17-2011, 10:08 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

It is hard to say this, but the reason I hold on to in regard to not quitting alcohol is...I am scared. That makes me a coward, no doubt.
A coward? No. A person who cannot objectively see past his own desire to not want to stop drinking? Yes. Ask any alcoholic if they wanted to quick drinking for good, and your answer will likely be: 99.9% no. I didn't want to quick drinking for good, that's for sure.

There are lot of things that go on with alcohol inside the mind and body most of us are not aware, and likely never will be aware unless we choose to become a nutritional biochemist. And even armed with that information, one who does not want to quick drinking will no more pay attention to what is right in front of his face than a man who smokes a cigarette and reattaches the oxygen mask to his face when done.

I hate this in that in every other aspect of my life, I have no defeatist attitudes. I demand success. I cannot get a grasp on the alcohol deal, though.
Why fight at all? Seriously, you can live without alcohol. It isn't like someone is asking you to give up food. Or become celibate. There is enough of a concern rattling around in your brain somewhere that you ended up here. I did the same thing. I joined in August of '09. Posted a few times... went to one A.A. meeting... decided I wasn't really a problem drinker... and then the ensuing year proved me so wrong I can't even begin to tell you.

I don't like being defeated either. It just isn't in my nature. In this one particular area of my life, I am so grateful I have been defeated, before I really hurt myself or someone else, that defeated has damn near become one of my most treasured words. For only in defeat could I come to understand the exact nature of success and how utterly skewed my perception of defeat and success had once been. That's just me.

Is it scary? Heck yeah. You aren't unique in that fear, TRUST ME. If you, like me, don't like putting your own name and the word alcoholic together in the same sentence, then don't. Objectively consider the behaviors and compulsive acts in which you indulge while consuming alcohol. Call it whatever the hell you want. And if you want to do something about those things, there is help available to you, and you can do it, whatever it takes, under any condition, to change your behaviors and compulsive acts.

You CAN create a clean, enjoyable life for yourself. I know that sounds like a great P.R. line for the recently converted. No one is trying to convert you. We couldn't even if we wanted to. There are paths others who have come before you have followed, and those paths are wide and varying. If you decide to go down one of those paths yourself, you will find a way that works best for you, and there are a ton of folks here and else where that will be more than happy to help you in any way they can. They just cannot do it FOR you.

Hugs to you. Keep coming back!
Old 02-11-2011, 06:27 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

I wrote this 13 days ago...and, in the end, chose not to post it...

I have told myself over the past week that tomorrow (Monday, the 31st of January) would be my first day without alcohol. Well, this idea has evolved to a compromise with my admittedly alcoholic mind. This week I will drink half of what I usually drink (a half-pint of 80 proof whiskey per day down from a pint). Then, hopefully I will half it again next week...and so on and so forth. I looked up what is recommended as "normal" alcohol consumption as a reminder, and I thought to myself, "This is certainly not doable...as it would be just a tease...and, I would gain little pleasure from it." My goal is to try this and to post my results here as some kind of semi-accountable exercise. In all honesty, I am not very confident in being successful at the moment. Having said that, I will try my best to be successful for tomorrow at least.

Tonight, I made a conscious effort to not drink. For hours, I sat here...lost inside of my own head....sweating....nervous....could not get my mind off of my situation. My predicament. Lots of guilt and lots of blame and shame. I decided to drink.

Please allow me to describe EVERY day since I wrote the aforementioned post. I wake up in the morning saying, "I will certainly not drink today"...and feel pretty confident about it. Go to work. Perform well. Then, late in the day, I start looking forward to "it". "It" is being happy in my view. "It" is drinking. Then, when returning home....there is that choice...whether or not to make that turn to the liquor store. My palms get sweaty. Literally. What do I do? What are the consequences of not making that turn? I choose to make that turn...every time it is necessary.

I am an alcoholic, and I am very disheartened and scared at the moment. I realize that if I continue this, I will be lucky to make it to my 45th year on this planet. I am 32. And, I'm not here to argue numbers. 40th. 45th. It's all the same to me. I feel the effects of my choices every day...both physically and mentally. I promise you that.

Sorry for the doom and gloom post. As depressing as it is...it's easy to be honest on an anonymous forum devoted to alcoholism.
Old 02-11-2011, 06:45 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

Oh man. I can relate so much. Those morning promises. Usually coming after the middle of the night horrors. Then drinking again that night. It's awful. I remember it so vividly.

I can't express the sense of relief that comes with all that being over with now (sober 6 mos). I'm 35 and I have my life back. You can, too