Notices

DUI_#2_-_1-year_license_suspension_is_up

Old 01-08-2011, 06:28 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Snarf Snarf

Originally Posted by Kjell View Post
I didn't fight the initial suspension once I was arrested (remember having to write the DOT within 10 days? I didn't do that on purpose), so my license was automatically suspended shortly after that. I'm so happy I did it that way, but either way has it's benefits for sure.

We don't have any public transportation this far north of Atlanta and biking isn't really an option either (narrow, curvy roads by the lake). Be grateful you have that option.
I never had to worry about that. Surprisingly, they didn't take my license when they arrested me, so the initial suspension was never something I had to consider. I'm thankful that I kept it until my sentencing, though. At the time I worked about 30 miles from home, so the time between my arrest and the suspension was enough for me to find another job closer to home on the public transit route.

Good luck with all the remaining stuff you have to do to get your license reinstated.
Old 01-08-2011, 06:46 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
SR Fan

That's great news Kjell! I hope things go smoothly for you as you get things in order. Thanks for the great post!!
Old 01-08-2011, 08:57 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Hey Kjell,
Good job on all of your recovery.
Like you, I had to have my license taken away. I was so out of control and so lucky I never took a life.
It was so hard not to be able to drive, but did anyway for my year. Just prayed and only drove to work and back. Had to drive over 35 miles one way and had no other option. Do not recommend this, but it is what it is. Never, ever drove "under the influence" again.
Been sober well over a year now and loving this sober life.
All the best to you!
Old 01-10-2011, 07:39 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Kjell - luv your attitude and your thoughts when things get going tuff. I'm glad that you have the wisdom to accept consequences. The day will come when it's all behind you 100%.
thx for the post my friend!
Old 01-10-2011, 11:04 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

After having my suspension in Dekalb County I can assure you that there is not getting around it in Atlanta. But, I am just grateful the times I was on the roads in not good condition that I didn't hurt myself or someone else seriously. I am grateful in the end for the DUI. It was the one thing that finally spoke to me and got through to me. I needed serious help. I have gotten it!

Saliena
Old 01-10-2011, 02:46 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Thank you for posting this. I just got my second dwi within a year a week ago, and reading this post gave me hope that I can get through this and become stronger because of it like you.
Old 01-10-2011, 03:20 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Originally Posted by kdmiller View Post
Thank you for posting this. I just got my second dwi within a year a week ago, and reading this post gave me hope that I can get through this and become stronger because of it like you.
That's been my experience too kd.

I've made it 5 yrs so far with no license......but I drove illegally for the first year or year and a half. I still have at least another year and a half to go before my first chance at getting it back (which is about 50/50 odds).

In that time, I've "grown" a lot.....but understand, growing isn't necessarily fun nor does it necessarily feel good. A lot of the time it's NOT what I think I want and it feels awful...... but I think the alternative is worse - living in the dark.

-----

Congrats Kjell..... it's nice to know that part is looking up for ya....along with everything else.