Notices

Starting Over

Old 01-07-2011, 07:55 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Starting Over

After over 3 months sober, I drank again on January 2.

I need to find a way to stop drinking. I am only on day 5 sober, now.

Kelly
Old 01-07-2011, 08:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Keep trying til you 'get it' or die. One or the other will eventually happen. I relapsed too many times to count but with the support of my friends here and my alcohol counselor I eventually 'got it' and am now sober almost 13 months and loving it. What helped me stay sober and lose the desire to drink for any reason was being grateful! Seriously, I started counting my blessings and made it a daily thing until it became a habit. And being grateful for my blessings made me not want to drink.

Counting my blessings made me realize how much I had going for me and how much drinking would destroy those blessings. Try it. I give thanks on the gratitude forum (and in real life) at least twice a day and it really helps me.
Old 01-07-2011, 08:11 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

5 Days sober is a lot more time then some have, congrats for that. When I relapsed after 6 months it was a turning point for me and I went on to get 10 years. I put myself in the middle of AA and never looked back.
Old 01-07-2011, 08:19 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I am grateful that you are back and congratulations on 5 days!! I commend you for your honestly.
Old 01-07-2011, 08:25 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Kelly,

I'm so glad you're back and working on your sobriety again.

I wonder what changes you made in your life during the 3 months you were sober? I had to change people in my life, my daily routines, activities, a lot of changes. The main thing is that you know that you can do it.
Old 01-07-2011, 08:27 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Relapses are not a part of recovery, they are a part of addiction. You are addicted to alcohol. Don't beat yourself up for it, I have relapsed, or for better words, chosen to drink again, too many times to count. I keep faith that one day I will overcome this battle against alcohol, for good, and I wish the same for you. Honestly, don't beat yourself up for drinking. You know, and we all know, it serves absolutely no purpose but to make you feel bad, and it can and will make you drink again. Forget about it, and focus on the positive. Some people relapse, and they drink for months on end before they snap out of it. You drank once, and had enough self awareness to get back on the wagon. You're obviously doing something right. Don't forget, you had 3 months of sobriety. That's gotta be worth something, right?
Old 01-07-2011, 08:46 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

KellySad, the good news is you're back here, and stopped drinking right away. If you're anything like me, you can be grateful it didn't turn into a relapse of weeks or months. I guess I'm saying that because I thought Least's comments about gratitude inspiring!

And Yukonm, that is like the best avatar image EVER!!!! How can anyone not smile when they see that!
Old 01-07-2011, 08:49 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Ozone Ranger

Originally Posted by KellySad View Post
After over 3 months sober, I drank again on January 2.

I need to find a way to stop drinking. I am only on day 5 sober, now.

Kelly
On 08-12-10 you posted:
The AA meetings here in the Toronto area are very good, thus far. Lots of old-timers with great advice and support.

Your Fellow Chilly Canuck.

Kelly
On 12-22-10
I was like you, AlaskaGirl....I joined AA, the support there is great.

Why don't you check out an AA meeting?

Good luck,

Kelly
On 12-20-10
There is a centre in Mississauga, Ontario for people with dual disorders of psychiatric illness along with substance abuse. It is very good. If you live in southern Ontario...
On 12-8-10 you shared:
Here in Toronto, Canada we have 2 different DRA locations.

We discuss our psychiatric disorders (anxiety, depression, bi-polar, obsessive compulsive disorder, generalized anxiety disorder, etc., etc.) AS WELL AS the substance abuse which we use to SELF-MEDICATE the psychiatric disorder (in most cases, for most of us, ALCOHOL, but others use (or used) cocaine, prescription (and highly addictive) painkillers such as percocet and/or oxycotone, etc., etc.

We sit in a circle and cross-talk and share our experiences, and usually mention "how our last week has been" (we meet Thursdays from 7 - 8 pm).
You know where to go and what to do.
I suggest you go back there. It works. You didn't. You can this time. But you have to go. The path is clear. Is the pain you are experiencing bad enough to walk it, or do you have reservations, that this time, you can find an easier, softer way?

This concerned me a little:

Your post, 12-22-10
I hear you, totally, Pennywistle - I have been hospitalized 5 times for alcohol poisoning, it is such a terrible disease.
I'm not sure how much you can afford to shop around for solutions. You might consider grabbing what worked in the past. It's truly sad the amount of pain it takes to get past that "half measures" stage. I hope you don't find it necessary to inflict anymore damage and pain than it takes.
Old 01-07-2011, 08:51 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hey! Congrats on 5 days!
Old 01-07-2011, 10:00 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi, I drank one day, after almost 6 months sober. I didn't start counting the days over again though. Maybe I should, but because I stopped the next day, I try and look at it like now I have 7 months sober, with 1 slip up. Hopefully no more slip ups!
Old 01-07-2011, 10:12 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Kelly, glad you are back and you have our support. Lots of it in this thread already!!

You had 3 beautiful months......pull from it....learn from it. I found support was the missing piece. I needed help in getting my recovery going and there are so many options available.

So glad you are back and way to go on your staying sober. Now you need to get a plan of support.

Know you can do it!
Old 01-07-2011, 10:15 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

Hi Kelly!

I'm glad you're back.

I had to change who I was or the same me would drink again, and again, and again. Maybe this is true with you too?

AA gave me a design for living without alcohol and removed the obsession. ...but I'm not special as it can work for you too.

Be willing, be honest, and keep an open mind. You never have to drink again. We can and do recover and YOU can be living proof of that.

Keep posting.

Kjell
Old 01-07-2011, 11:00 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back Kelly

I agree with the others - think about what you need to change or need to add to make this work. I know you can do this

D