Notices

10 days today

Old 01-05-2011, 07:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Grateful

10 days today

I am 10 days today. Been to 1 meeting, though would like to go to more. I have a (from what I hear) not uncommon characteristic in that I have worked with addicts for 10 years (i work at a sober shelter as a on-call relief staff). What a hypocrite I was/am. So I am very afraid of running in to current and former clients at meetings since I live/work locally.

I have very supportive friends and family, many who had no idea I was going through any of this in the first place. I have always been an anomaly in life and when it comes to recovery/addiction I find myself wondering...am I truly an addict? do I just suffer from low self-esteem and poor stress management? who cares, all I know is I spent way too many days (when anything more than one is too many!) in 2010 wanting to put a gun to my head after a night of way too much booze, coke, etc. So here I am.
Old 01-05-2011, 07:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

That can be a good start on a healthy future
Welcome...
Old 01-05-2011, 07:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Grateful

I fluctuate between feeling unbelievably strong, confident, and euphoric in this decision and then utterly sad and weak.
Old 01-05-2011, 08:08 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

When I was in rehab for 2 months, the last month it was suggested () that we attend meetings in the community where the rehab was located... it was a small town... I ran into nearly everyone who worked at the rehab at one time or another...

Far from reducing their credibility, it made me realize we are all the same and it did wonders for my morale.... to attend the very same meeting.

I felt very much the same as you do... fluctuating between feeling strong and weak, euphoric and sad... It was part of my journey...

Get someone to go through that Big Book with you... take certain steps... and you will begin to feel a lot better.

Old 01-05-2011, 08:31 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think it's normal to have mood swings in early recovery. The thoughts of never drinking again and the problems we have caused others and ourselves can be overwhelming. Good for you for 10 sober days and I hope you continue to read and post here.
Old 01-05-2011, 12:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations and welcome peacefulheart

Mood swings were definitely a part of my early sobriety experience too - but you're not alone here - lean on the community if & when you need to

D
Old 01-05-2011, 02:05 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the best recovery site everywhere. I hope we can be as much help to you as this site has been to me.
Old 01-06-2011, 03:00 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

wtg :bounce