Notices

Anybody experiencing headaches?

Old 01-04-2011, 09:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Anybody experiencing headaches?

I am on day 11 and started with a headache yesterday. I have tried aspirin, Advil, caffeine, and rest. I'm thinking it might have something to do with not drinking?? seems weird as I didn't experience any withdrawal symptoms when I stopped, but now I am feeling worse than ever. Also having some palpitations which I have always suffered from, but along with the headache is pretty annoying. Maybe I am not drinking enough water seeing as I have been having more caffeine. Anybody else experiencing anything like this?
Old 01-04-2011, 10:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

It could be any number of things Maisie - hope you feel better soon...but if you don't - or if you're worried - I hope you'll see your doctor

D
Old 01-04-2011, 10:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

I get headaches anyway.

It will take a while for your body to adjust. Being tired, sleep issues and headaches seem to be very common. Like Dee wrote though...see your Dr. This could be anything, and really could be serious.

Congrats on day 11! Awesome.
Old 01-04-2011, 11:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Proud Neonephalist

Seeing a doctor is a really, really good idea.

I had headaches for the first three months or so that got less severe and less frequent as time went on. I figured that since alcoholism causes your brain to shrink, the headaches were just my brain 'fluffing back up' to normal size

Murray
Old 01-05-2011, 04:52 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Maisy
Nice one on 11 days. Yes, I experienced quite severe headaches for quite a while after I quit, but I figured a headache was far more preferable to a hangover. Someone suggested I drink more water. The headaches gradually dissipated in time. I've also had palpitations for years and I know that caffeine aggravates them. I understand that it takes a few months for the body to physically recover from the effects of long-term alcohol use, so hopefully your headaches will disappear in a while.
Old 01-05-2011, 05:39 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
6/20/08

I'm the headache Queen...so no help here.

I do think you could see a doc. Could be so many things.

Welcome to SR!
Old 01-05-2011, 06:24 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Check your blood pressure as well. As your body continues with detox, your blood pressure might be higher than normal which might be causing the headaches. I would suggest lots of water and you might want to throw in something with sugar that's not caffeinated like Gatorade. I would stay away from energy drinks and things like that as they really dehydrate you

Just some suggestions to try if you can't get a hold of your doctor right away.
Old 01-05-2011, 06:48 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Idon't know what your home environment is like, but if the air gets too dry in my house I get a terrific headache and my eyes hurt too.

a humidifier makes it easier to breathe for me, less dry eyes, skin, no bloody nose.
Old 01-05-2011, 07:27 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I would see a doctor who specializes in headaches. They will fix the problem with education and possibly preventative medication.
SH
Old 01-05-2011, 10:55 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I am on Day 15 and I had a headache every day...until today!! Maybe you will feel better in 3 days!
Old 01-05-2011, 11:24 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I had the same problem Maisy, didn't feel the withdrawal symptoms in the beginning like I have in past attempts, but a couple weeks later, it felt like I was waking up with a hangover every morning. Could have been a bug going around, I know I was drinking lots of no caffeine tea, maybe my body got used to constant liquid consumption and the 6-8 hours sleeping made it feel deprived. I know when I used to drink lots and lots of coffee, the caffeine withdrawals gave me the worst headaches of my life. To combat heart palpitations, I switched to 1/2 caff coffee and limit it to 3-4 cups in the morning. At day 33 now, the headaches have been gone for a while. Keep up the good work and feel better soon!
Old 01-05-2011, 12:46 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I've been having mild to strong headaches for the past 4.5 months. Wasn't sure if it was quitting alcohol or just something caused from my accident, rolling my car and having the roof cave in on me. The night of the accident, I had CT scans done at the hospital and they didn't say anthing was wrong, so I dunno. No matter what, I'd rather pope tylenol than ever have a drink again. I can't trust booze in my life and I detest things/people I can't trust. Bye bye Pelosi. hahaha
Old 01-05-2011, 12:50 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Check your blood pressure! When mine goes up I get horrible headaches and there is nothing that works but blood pressure mediation.
Old 01-05-2011, 07:37 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I am also on day 11 and have woke up each morning feeling like I really tied one on. (not a drop) The people in my AA group said this should go away in a few weeks. This is also the only withdrawal symptom I am experiencing. Contests on the 11 days
Old 01-05-2011, 07:44 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I am on day 20 and experienced headaches pretty much everyday up until a few days ago.