Notices

How long until you have Urges?

Old 01-04-2011, 01:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How long until you have Urges?

Would like to know how long you go until you have urges to drink or use again? For myself it general takes me 2 weeks until I want to drink again but when that happens I know it will be a few day drinking feast.
Old 01-04-2011, 01:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

After I gave up alcohol, I think I was too disappointed in myself for my actions to urge this liquid which almost took my teenage kids lives and my own in a car wreck. I didn't urge alcohol. Once I got home from work, I 'remembered it' throughout the evening, from getting up from my computer ,to changing the channel on the TV... it seemed programmed into being a part of almost everything I did... But they were only memories. I am fortunate to be one of those people who analyze the hell out of things and decided that memories are thoughts from the past. As someone who no longer was a drinker, I did not have to react to the memories. All I had to do was let them pop into my mind, then fade away.

The habitual memories of alcohol being associated with normal little things faded around 4 to 5 weeks for me. Then I knew I had killed the beast.
Old 01-04-2011, 02:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I remember the first 30 days being especially rough- and then the next 30 not so bad...and then the next 30 swinging back to difficult again LOL.

After 90 days for me, it all then kinda levelled out.

We're all different ACT10Npack - I hope you have an easier time of it than I did - as long as you keep focused and keep moving forward, you're headed in the right direction

D
Old 01-04-2011, 04:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I don't really remember any form of wanting to drink after I quit during the early weeks. I do remember thoughts about drinking when I would have a mood change (good or bad - or back to the middle, I guess), and the earliest I can remember that happening is around the 5th month, which was when warm weather was wafting in for me (April). I also remember feeling ill at ease the first couple of times reading here and that was around day 80 or so, because one of my first posts was about my 90 days. It could have been an urge, but I thought of it more like being afraid of the topic of drinking and "I don't know if I should be looking at this." And during the first 30 and 60 days, I don't remember any interest at all. I was enthusiastic about the fact that I wasn't going out to buy any, which was thoroughly new to me. All I had was myself, so I could have disobeyed myself any time. Still true now too.
Old 01-04-2011, 04:46 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I had quite a few cravings to drink early on. Then after working a program of counting my blessings I noticed I didn't have the urge to drink somewhere between four to six months. Even now, after a year, I sometimes get an urge to drink but it passes quicky and is easy for my rational self to dismiss.
Old 01-04-2011, 05:10 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I had some cravings in the first few weeks, but I think when you really decide that drinking is no longer an option, then your mind begins to find healthy ways to deal with life.
Old 01-04-2011, 05:14 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Today is Day 29 for me, and I believe I've just had my first real "urge" tonight, which I have successfully gotten past for now. It's a weird feeling...not so much a physical urge like being hungry, but more forgetting why I stopped drinking and temporarily wanting to go back to "normal." The little voice says, "You've been working really hard. Sitting on the couch and watching TV for a bit is fun. Having a glass of wine would be even more fun. Where's the harm in a little fun? You deserve it."

It doesn't seem possible to forget the strong emotions, depression, embarrassment, fear and shame that made me stop 29 days ago, but I guess humans are very resilient, and no matter what happens we quickly snap back to our equilibrium. Mine has been throwing back a few glasses of wine at night for a while now...I know this is not going to completely go away in 30 days. I hope that one day it will go away.

With the help of all you supportive folks on this forum, I'm developing a set of tools I can use when these urges strike. I immediately thought "HALT...am I hungry, angry, lonely or tired?" 10-4 on the tired...I was up very late last night working on a presentation, which I had to get up super early to deliver. I also "played the tape out"...if I did decide to have a few, how would this night go? Mostly likely, I'd have a bottle. Then I'd open a second bottle. Then I'd decide I'm bored, I'd get dressed and go out and hit a bar. From there it would be a crapshoot. Make it to work tomorrow? Maybe, maybe not. Make it home safely? Who knows. Ever see my dog, my parents, my sister or my dear friends again? Maybe not. Ruin my life? Possibly. Hurt or kill someone else? Certainly possible.

So, I'm making myself a cup of tea and will be going to bed soon. I have a long way to go before I will feel that my beast is tamed. Thanks for being here, SR friends.