Notices

Motivation to quit drinking for good

Old 01-04-2011, 01:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Motivation to quit drinking for good

I'm starting this topic because I want to get the motivation to quit drinking (alcohol) for good. The only thing that alcohol has done to me is getting in trouble. Been trying to quit for sometimes but my cavings are bad. I can go a month without drinking but I always get myself to drink. But this time it will be different. Got myself in trouble with the law and it's the second time. It involve driving and I can't go through life like this anymore. Once I get this drinking problem behind me, I know I will be happy in my life. It will not be easy but I can be in more control of my action for now on.

Thanks for listening.
Old 01-04-2011, 01:21 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

hi ACT10Npack

You can definitely make this your 'bottom' if you want it to be
You'll find a lot of support here - welcome!

D
Old 01-04-2011, 01:25 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee74, I decided to stop drinking. Will be going throe legal problems soon and need to quit drinking. Once I stop drinking, I know life will get easier. At the time be, I have to go through this like it ir not can't change it.
Old 01-04-2011, 04:33 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to SR! I hope you find the same support here that I have.
Old 01-04-2011, 04:37 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I think that ultimately we have to quit drinking for ourselves. And it needs to be a first priority. Finding some support can be crucial as well, I'd encourage you to scope out your options. Welcome to SR, you can begin to turn this around having gained some recognition of it.
Old 01-04-2011, 04:38 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

welcome, keep posting, we are here to help
Old 01-04-2011, 04:58 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I also think that you need to find your own reasons for stopping drinking. I hope that the dui's and legal problems will be motivation for you. The thing is, alcoholism will get worse unless you stop it.

There is lots of support here, so I hope that you keep posting and reading.
Old 01-04-2011, 05:01 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Dismember

Good stuff.

I have always gotten great motivation from SR. Whether it's someone talking about how wonderful their life has gotten, which reminds me how much better things are getting for me; or someone who has been using and having a rough time, which reminds me of what I don't want to go back to.

But the best motivation for me is the motivation I honestly believe inside. That's not Dr. Phil-esque psychobabble either, but too much realizing that often I just wanted to appear like someone who quits, not be someone who quits. Metaphysical differences.

Last edited by Isaiah; 01-04-2011 at 05:02 AM. Reason: Had to nerd it up. How I roll.
Old 01-04-2011, 05:59 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Ozone Ranger

Originally Posted by ACT10Npack View Post
I'm starting this topic because I want to get the motivation to quit drinking (alcohol) for good. The only thing that alcohol has done to me is getting in trouble. Been trying to quit for sometimes but my cavings are bad. I can go a month without drinking but I always get myself to drink. But this time it will be different. Got myself in trouble with the law and it's the second time. It involve driving and I can't go through life like this anymore. Once I get this drinking problem behind me, I know I will be happy in my life. It will not be easy but I can be in more control of my action for now on.

Thanks for listening.
Simply stated, if reason won't work, pain usually will.

Best in your pursuit.
Old 01-04-2011, 06:03 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome! Sorry you have some problems I hope they. Are the motivation you need.

When I was drinking I thought that if I just quit everything would get better..and it has but not in the way I thought. What sobriety did was give me the ability to do the hard work that was necessary tochange my life for the better.

So yes my life is better, immeasurably so.

SR is a great place for advice and support...stick around
Old 01-04-2011, 06:28 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

At the end of the day I realized that I would enjoy sober life more than drunk life. And that I couldn't drink in moderation so it really was one or the other for me.

Welcome!
Old 01-04-2011, 06:30 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I don't think you can pinpoint a specific reason for quitting. At least not in my case. Over my 20+ year drinking career if I look back there were hundreds of reasons I should have quit. There were hundreds of times I wanted to quit. The reason I never did is because I was never honest with myself. The reason for quitting is inside of you, or at least me. Coming clean and admitting I needed help was the big step for me. On a real basic level, realizing that drinking is not an option in my life has been the difference this time. I know that I am an alcoholic and if I take that first sip....well, just read around this site for a while....we've all been down that road before.
Old 01-04-2011, 06:37 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

I've been where you are. After getting my 2nd dui and 2nd totalled car, I was scared shyteless, but deep down, I really didn't want to quit, I still wanted to control my drinking.

It wasn't until I went to AA, got a sponsor, and fully accepted my alcoholism did I really want to quit. The pain finally got, well, painful enough and I fully surrendered to the fact that I can never drink again. That thought scared the shyte out of me too

Now fast forward to today. I'm sober over a year, working through my sentence (b/c of my 2nd dui), and actually happy with life. Not to mention I have the tools I needed to deal with life.

You never have to drink again. AA removed the obssesion of drinking, but I'm not special as it can work for you too.

Kjell
Old 01-04-2011, 07:24 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Decide. Commit. Succeed.

ACT10Npack! Hope you find the support you need here at SR.

For me, I think it was just time to quit. Other than drinking, I was leading a fairly healthy lifestyle. (I'm aware that sound ridiculous!) I worked out regularly and ate a mostly vegetarian diet. To the outside world, I looked like a health nut. But my dirty little secret was that I loved my red wine. I was a fraud who used booze to deal with all my family issues. A friend of mine got a DUI and my own drinking started freaking me out. Her DUI made me take a hard look at my own drinking. It was over a year later before I decided to quit for the last time. And here I am 65 days later...sober and wondering why I didn't get my act together years ago.

Wishing you the best in your recovery.
Old 01-04-2011, 09:42 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Yea, I'm taking a hard look on what I did and how I can change my life for the better. I was only drinking a few times a week and I told me after later New Years, I was stop drinking for months at the time.The problem was that I was binge drinking at the time and drive home. Bought beer at the store and should have put it in the trunk or better yet not have bought the beer in the first place. Should had stay at my friends place a few more hours and got my mind straighten out before going home. But I was going through my same bad behaviors when drinking.

I'm just one of those people who can control their drinking and actions. Because I didn't want to change the first time, I have to deal with the legal again and if I don't change now then I would mostly not get a job, girlfriend and even worst be in jail for longer then a day.

Thanks for listening.
Old 01-04-2011, 10:03 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Howdy action,

I have relapsed quite a few times over the past 2 years. Its not gonna happen again, at least one day at a time anyway. We need every drop before we stop