Notices

Feeling overwhelmed

Old 01-03-2011, 08:56 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Snarf Snarf

I feel for you Nikkle, as I have been and currently am there. I was sentenced for my second DUI in September, so I have another 8 months to go without a license. My car sits right outside, wanting to be driven, but alas, it will not be so. I live in Metro Atlanta and work downtown, so my average commute, round-trip, consists of 4 buses and either 2 trains or a few miles on the bike, which was purchased to assist me with getting around town. On nights when I work too late to catch a bus home, I take a $30 taxi ride, which is probably once or twice a week. It's a pain, but it's doable, and I do it 6 days a week. To get to school last semester my round-trip numbers were 6 buses, 2 trains and a few bike miles (on hilly roads). Sometimes I can get a ride, but to visit my probation officer in another county last week, round-trip I took 8 buses, 2 trains and did probably 6 miles on the bike. Took about 7 hours. To be in her office less than 10 minutes.

I'm about to have to start my community service (240 hours) and weekly (17) drug and alcohol classes, which will also require public transport + manpower. Had to take the semester off school because I logistically simply won't be able to do everything I need to do. It's been a strain on my fiancee, who sometimes can give me a ride, but the real issue is the small things I can't do like go to the grocery store or pick up to-go food or even offer to pick her up if she goes out for a few drinks. And when I do get a ride to probation, it usually involves someone driving 60-120 miles (depending on where they live) and taking hours out of their day to help me out.

But DayTrader and NobleCause more eloquently stated my feelings on the subject than I could. I've learned that we all face different circumstances, but no matter what those are, God can and indeed wants to provide for each and every one of us. I've somehow made almost all of my appointments the last 4 months, and was luckily able to reschedule a couple others, even when I didn't think I would be able to. I was worried about making enough money to buy nice presents for my siblings and fiancee, until I gave in and realized that God would work in my life and I had no idea how. The Monday before Christmas, I was the server for a Christmas party for about 15 people at my work, and I ended up making over $400. That's just plain ridiculous.

I sometimes stress about my situation, but then I realize that it is indeed temporary, and the peace and happiness I search for is eternal and everlasting. I am so thankful that no one was injured or worse by my actions behind the wheel of a car, and never again will that be a possibility, so long as I don't have that first drink. I have had friends and family members killed in alcohol- and drug-related auto accidents, so you'd think that would've been enough to keep me from drinking and driving. But it wasn't. Nothing was, until that day after my second DUI arrest when I finally realized my life was unmanageable so long as I had any relationship whatsoever with alcohol. I've seen first hand the devastation caused by DUI deaths, and yet I went right out there and probably came close several times to doing serious harm to myself or someone else.

This too shall pass. Like all things do, it will. And one day you will be on the other side of this and life will have continued to move along. I hope you're able to get there without too much worry.
Old 01-04-2011, 04:32 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

hope you are having a less stressful day and keep posting because we might come up with some good ideas to help you get through.

what are the possibilities of your going for the hardship license? is it doable financially?

I agree 26 miles round trip on a bike in cold weather would be a shock to anyone's system, along with no shoulder on the road.

is there delivery service for online grocery service in your area? I sometimes ordered pet supplies this way and the shipping was free if you spent enough $$$.
Old 01-04-2011, 05:24 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Originally Posted by Nikkle View Post
I do believe...help my unbelief!
That was a daily prayer for me.....evenings and mornings.....that the God of my understanding (and don't take that to mean I UNDERSTAND God.....I don't ) would help me to trust Him more, to go to Him faster, and to depend more upon Him. Be careful with that prayer though.......make sure, in your own mind, that you want that, because the methods MY HP used to bring that about in my life were not pleasant. --But there's a good lesson in that: sometimes what we NEED isn't all peaches and cream. Sometimes I need to get knocked on my butt (like alcohol did) for me to be willing to give up my shoddy belief systems.

And as for the license, driving, getting to/from..... put that in your HP's hands. I lost my license in 2005 and still can't drive. It's been a horrible "punishment" but it's also been a blessing. I've spent a lot of time at home which has given me time to do a lot of reading I wouldn't have done otherwise. I've HAD to turn the "getting around" problem over to God because I still need to get groceries, to meetings, to and from work, to get haircuts, and so forth. And frankly, I don't have 1 convenient ride to most of that stuff. Meetings arent so bad but the other stuff has been....."challenging." So...since I had no bright ideas, I surrendered to the process and handed it off to God. Sure enough, 5 yrs later, He's made it possible to get back and forth to work (a 30 minute drive each way) and to do all that other stuff. It's been an awesome demonstration of just what He can do..... It's been painful at times but I seem to always get what I NEED (which isn't necessarily what I WANT). Give it a try yourself....I believe you'll find He's eager as hell to help you too.

-- Just a little tip that worked for me.... at meetings, when they make announcements..... ask for some strength from HP, then stand up and announce that you can't drive and need a hand getting to meetings. Ask anyone willing to help to come see you at the end of the meeting. I've done that plenty of times....and have met some great ppl as a result....including my sponsor.