Notices

The ability to move on from things

Old 01-03-2011, 06:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

The ability to move on from things

I've noticed I'm a lot more resilient than I was - can anyone relate? I had something upsetting happen yesterday (totally not drinking related - just silly drama with a group I'm involved with) and while I didn't sleep well last night, this morning I got up, made some calls about it and now planning the day with my kids.

4+ months ago I would be so enmeshed in it. Probably battling a crippling hangover because last night I'd have drank my way through the drama.

Ahhh. Freedom!!
Old 01-03-2011, 06:49 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I think is sobriety our anxiety level drops to normal and we deal with issues much more calmly...and certainly my thought process is much more clear.
Old 01-03-2011, 07:22 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

It took me a while to 'settle down' but yes, my anxiety level is much more 'normal' now and I don't always feel an emotional mess like I did when I was drinking.
Old 01-03-2011, 07:28 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
The Little Alcoholic Monstress That Could

Im barely on day 5 and I still have the anxiety etc. I feel the worry and I know it will lessen in time. I tell myself its a symptom if early sobriety and that makes me feel better.

On the flip side, my sister was being a totally unsupportive b*tch and while it angers me that she mocks my trying to get sober, I just tell myself to let it go. And I do lol! It's her drama not mine. I gave up 5 days ago, I let God deal with things.
Old 01-03-2011, 07:31 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for your post. I am only 32 days sober, but when I'm 4 months out I hope to have the resilience and freedom you are now experiencing .

I am struggling right now to "move on" from situations that are upsetting to me. My emotions are all over the place, and I'm trying to learn how to control them and not feel compelled to respond to every little thing.
Old 01-03-2011, 07:35 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Dismember

Most of the time, yes.

My belief is that sobriety didn't really alleviate this problem for me, not so much as by getting sober I got the chance to work on the problem. I still feel like I have a lot of work ahead learning to let things go.
Old 01-03-2011, 07:41 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yes, I learned to keep things in perspective. In the past, my feelings had ruled my life and I wasn't able to distinguish between a major problem and a minor issue. Everything seemed like a big deal. I think the benefit of hitting bottom and coming close to losing it all really helped me put things in perspective.
Old 01-03-2011, 08:05 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

Isn't that awesome?!

I've had the same experience. Things still get to me and I do still struggle with letting it go, but there is improvement there and it's wonderful.

One step closer to freedom from myself and I'm loving the results.
Old 01-03-2011, 06:44 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm only a week now but I have found I'm much more "balanced". No crazy ups and downs.

It's cool! I like it