Notices

Help needed

Old 01-02-2011, 01:08 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I would take the suggestions given. Read through the posts. See what seems to be working and what doesn't and then choose for yourself.

Good luck.
Old 01-02-2011, 01:39 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Welcome Kelly! Glad you are with us and know you have our support.

There is much experience and info here. What I found to be tremendous to not only stay sober but to learn how to live a healthy positive life again was face to face support.

Looking forward to the journey. You are definitely not alone
Old 01-02-2011, 01:47 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Hey Kelly, I have a 16 month old baby too. You sound a lot like me with the wine at 430pm. That was my wine time too and I drank 2 bottles also. I joined SR in june 2010 and have slipped only a few times. Right now I have 55 days. Sr has been my saving grace. If you post everyday you can get better too. I promise you!

Take care we are all here for you!!
Old 01-02-2011, 01:52 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi KellyA

A lot of folks here have been in the position you are now - you're not alone.

It's difficult and scary to make the decisions and changes needed to get well again, but you'll find hope and support here.

I'm guessing you're in the UK...here's a hotline number and some NHS and other recovery links...the only way to face your fears about child services etc is to ask....I'm not in the UK, but generally I suspect you'll find you have far less to worry about than you think

The National Alcohol Helpline-UK - Tel: 0800 917 8282 Offers help to callers worried about their own drinking; support to the family and friends of people who are drinking; advice to callers on where to go for help.

http://www.alcoholics-anonymous.org.uk/
http://www.smartrecovery.org.uk/

local UK services directories
http://www.alcoholconcern.org.uk/con...cohol-services

http://www.nhs.uk/servicedirectories...ceType=AlcoholD
Old 01-02-2011, 04:13 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome Kelly - I'm so glad you're reaching out. I'm a single mom, too, and it's hard when they're young and you don't have any help. Drinking every day is going to make it a lot harder though.

I hope you can talk to someone (a doctor, counselor....) who can help you get through detox safely. We're not bad people - we're addicts, and we need help to quit for good. I hope you keep posting and reading (and use the resources Dee mentioned). You don't need to live like this....

Prayers and hugs......
Old 01-02-2011, 04:46 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Glad you're here, Kelly

When I found this place 9 months ago , .....was really just biding time waiting for things to get worse and worse , till the end.

Found all kind of support and good ideas here, ...everyday.

In retrospect, all that fear I was living in was really the turning point. Finding out self medicating just wasn't going to work anymore, ....after years of it.

You can do this,
..........keep coming here and posting (and reading !?! )

prayers to you
Old 01-02-2011, 04:51 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Have you ever tried Alcoholics Anonymous?

Perhaps some guidance and direction from a woman who has had the same experience as you, and has recovered would be helpful to you?

Pick up the telephone and call and ask for help.

Don't buy any more wine. Don't drink any more wine.

If you are to stop, you need to stop.

Make a decision, then take the steps needed to change.

Alcohol causes us to turn away from the good towards the bad. It changes us. It alters our perception of reality.

Call the AA hotline, and ask for a sober woman of Alcoholics Anonymous near you to contact you. If you desire to stop drinking, you can stop, and they will help you. Good Luck to you!

One more thing...like someone else posted...if at all possible, please be honest with someone in the medical community, and get a health checkup, with a plan for a safe detox.

You can do it!
Old 01-02-2011, 05:16 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Hey Kelly,
I'm a single mom of three boys, ages 11, 8 and 4. I start my wine around 6pm. Been doing it for years, off and on. It's hell, isn't it?? I'm committed to stopping. I've embarassed myself infront of them too many times. It's not safe for our kids, is it? I'm just finished my first day without it. I feel good about myself tonight..and tomorrow when I wake up I'll feel even better.

Come join our January 2011 support group. For all of us that are starting quitting at the same time. Believe me, you will find lots of us in the same boat.
Old 01-02-2011, 05:40 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

Welcome! I have 2 children and drank about that much, too. At my worst points, anyway. 4 months sober now and doing great.

I couldn't imagine my life without alcohol and fought tooth and nail to moderate. No can do. Stay with us and see if we can help you make a go of it, OK? Those physical symptoms worry me a lot.
Old 01-02-2011, 05:52 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Hi Kelly,
Well, you took my story............almost to the exact words. I have been right where you are. As alcoholics, before recovery, we live in fear. I just celebrated 30 days of sobriety yesterday and let me tell you, it has not been easy, however, the sober moments I have shared with my kids this past month I will cherish forever. I have been "available" for them. It took me going to AA. I was scared to death. I'm shy and to walk into a room where it seems like everyone already knows each other was terrifying. I got the Big Book, I got a sponsor and I'm learning how to pray. That's a tough one for me because I have been disconnected from God for many years. My sponsor keeps telling me to trust God and love others, to ask God to remove my fears and for me to stop running the show and let God lead me. It is helping me and maybe, just maybe it can help you as well. Please just don't drink today........ Keep posting and remember you are not alone in this.
With love,
Trish
Old 01-02-2011, 07:00 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Welcome Kelly. This is a great place to start. You will find a lot of help here; it is up to you what to do with that help.
Old 01-03-2011, 10:27 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kellyA View Post
Thank you Kenny for your Prayers, however I find it difficult to put my faith in the resources around me for fear of losing my children. I am a single mum x
Although im not in AA, i have been to an AA meeting, and thats were some people go so they don't loose their kids. They won't judge you there.
Old 01-03-2011, 04:14 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Kelly, also, AA does NOT tell anyone you are there. Going to AA won't let anyone else who has the power to take your kids, know that you're there. It's a safe place to be honest. I totally understand your fear, though!! I also worried that if I reached out to a doctor or any agency I would risk my children. AA, though, that's a safe place.
Old 01-03-2011, 04:22 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
EntertheSticks

Not a single mom but I can relate to the reservations of wanting to get help. It can be a scary and embarrassing feeling to walk in to that room for your first time. But I guess after awhile i was willing to put my ego aside, because despite the fact that I had a scary embaressed feeling walking in to that meeting, I knew I could no longer go on with the guilt and sadness i carried with me.

Guess what?
The first meeting I went to changed my life and I was accepted with open arms. A far better experience than waking up with destroyed self esteem, poor physical feeling, and the terrible feeling in your stomach from all the guilt you feel within.

You should really go to a meeting, it could really change your life.
Old 01-03-2011, 06:30 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Hi Kelly

Welcome hon. I know it's hard, but you CAN do it.

There were nights I laid awake at 3am with my 4yr old daughter lying next to me in bed, my heart racing, thinking I was going to have a heart attack, and praying to a God I don't really believe in, to "please let me live this time, I will stop".

But I didn't.

Then there were two more times I was lying next to her and actually put myself in the first aid recovery position because I really didn't know if I would live through the night. And my beautiful, precious child could have woken up with her Mommy dead beside her because I chose to finish off that bottle of wine the night before.

You are afraid of losing your kids. Honey, I read some of the physical symptoms you listed above and they're scary. Please stick around here and join us!
Old 01-03-2011, 07:18 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Welcome Kelly.

I also thought I could not stop....I was so sick. I now have 6 months (almost) and my life has done a 180. I also have alcoholics in my family...you can break the cycle...the first step is coming here.

Hugs!

Tina