Notices

Needing help!

Old 01-02-2011, 07:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Needing help!

I do not have a family support system and after my ex and I split last year I have no one left. Over the last six months my drinking has gotten so bad that I woke up this morning and I do not want this life any more. I want to get back to work etc, the problem is I don't think I can do it alone. What are the options of checking into a low cost or free facility that will allow working. There is another thing. I had a head injury recently that causes me to have seizures as well. I am looking for options, they would need to be US based. Does anyone know of anyplace to go to asap?

Thanks!
Old 01-02-2011, 08:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome!!!

I would look up your community/county/state mental health services, there are free rehab programs out there.

There's AA also. Last I heard it was free
Old 01-02-2011, 08:27 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

The Salvation Army has a free rehab. I don't know any details, but here is the link. Best wishes!

The Salvation Army: Adult Rehabilitation
Old 01-02-2011, 08:34 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome DrinkNo. I wish you well. My former husband drank- alot. I have always gotten off on alcohol. I kicked it up a notch or ten after we met. I was in my twenties. I thought I was doing it to be able to put up with him. It became a competition with us..we started keeping up with each other. I guess the point of this is that once the demise of us finally happened..(after 25 yrs of torturing each other) it took me a year but I finally broke out of the madness and got sober. In that year after we broke up I decided to enhance my drinking with whiskey. BIG MISTAKE..I am still amazed I made it to the sobriety side. I wish you well. SR is packed with supportive people and links with information leading you to get the help you need.. Hope to hear more from you.
Old 01-02-2011, 08:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Welcome to SoberRecovery DrinkNo. Theirs plenty of support by many caring SR members here.

You may want to contact the Oklahoma Department of Mental Health and Substance Abuse Services and see what information they have to offer.

Also, AA is widely available and offers a program of recovery at no cost other that a small voluntary donation of a buck or two.
Old 01-02-2011, 08:54 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DrinkNo View Post
I do not have a family support system and after my ex and I split last year I have no one left. Over the last six months my drinking has gotten so bad that I woke up this morning and I do not want this life any more. I want to get back to work etc, the problem is I don't think I can do it alone. What are the options of checking into a low cost or free facility that will allow working. There is another thing. I had a head injury recently that causes me to have seizures as well. I am looking for options, they would need to be US based. Does anyone know of anyplace to go to asap?

Thanks!
SailorJohn 9and others) had a good suggestion about looking into your local facilities and also looking into going to AA meetings.

I, too, initially didn't have much of a family support system when I got sober in 1987. But the best decision I ever made was coming back to AA.

I know here, where I used to be employed, they have a place called Center for Drug Free Living, where the costs were nominal for long term treatment environments and halfway house living and they worked with the clients. They also began a new veterans program.

Going to AA meetings also serves for a good networking system to meet others you can talk to after the meetings to get to maybe find others who may know of places in your area or know other people more directly who can help you more immediately.

Good luck to you.
Old 01-02-2011, 10:22 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I have tried AA before and that didn't work, I have gotten so much worse since the first time that I started this process. I am trying to get back home right now, going to try to get to MIA and then take a bus back to Oklahoma. I did call the Oklahoma mental health facility. They gave me a couple of numbers which I am going to call in the morning.

I am going to look at the Salvation Army and see what they can do.

Thanks for all the words.
Old 01-02-2011, 10:53 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I have tried AA before and that didn't work,
Can you be a little more specific when you say you tried AA and it didn't work?

I can understand when someone tried it with some consistency, had a sponsor maybe, went to a lot of meetings, attempted working the steps in some initial months. Not sure what was the case for you.

It's just that I have met others who say that same thing but upon further discussion, I learn they went to perhaps 5 meeting in three months which isn't exactly trying anything. Given numbers like that doesn't mean AA doesn't work for someone. That just means someone didn't want to take the suggestions of gong to a lot of meetings in those initial 90 days and getting a sponsor more often.

If it was otherwise, I understand then and I wish you good luck on your venture elsewhere.

btw...the Salvation Army usually does have AA meetings on thier facilities but that's your choice.
Old 01-02-2011, 11:10 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to SR. I hope you can find a rehab that you can afford and that will assist you in other areas of your life besides getting sober.
Old 01-02-2011, 11:19 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hello DrinkNo,

This is a list of facilities with sliding fee scales within a 100 miles of Tulsa - from the SAMHSA website:

Substance Abuse Treatment Facility Locator
Old 01-02-2011, 11:22 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Good Luck xx
Old 01-02-2011, 12:01 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

You can contact your local hospital and they should put your through to someone that can help you like a social worker and they would be able to help you locate local help. I just spoke to one the other day in my area and they were able to give me a list of centers and things like that.

Good Luck!
Old 01-02-2011, 12:08 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

I am glad that you found us and that you are seeking support.

And, it's good that you are checking out the Salvation Army and other mental health resources in your area.

I have used SR as a lifeline for years and I hope you find it helps you, too.
Old 01-02-2011, 01:59 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your kind words!

AA didn't work due to the fact that I don't have a family support system where I am, I was going to two to three meetings a week. Hiding my drinking etc. I am trying to get near the very little family that I do have. I would like to go through an inpatient program at first. There are a couple of issues, I will be living in a very rural area and there isn't but one meeting a week within 50 miles. I do not have a car at this time either, I would like to get inpatient and then get back to work this spring. I work online and am a programmer so I do not need to be close to an office to work.

I am going to be calling all of the centers tomorrow as I am starting my journey home.

Cheers!
Old 01-02-2011, 02:02 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi DrinkNo
I hope one of these leads can help you

Welcome to SR!
D
Old 01-02-2011, 03:11 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome DN - When I went to treatment back in the late 90's, they were able to give me a long term payment plan that was very manageable. Just keep talking/calling - there will be something out there for you.

Hang out with us in the meantime - the support here is amazing!
Old 01-02-2011, 04:00 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
The Little Alcoholic Monstress That Could

Use google like you've never used google before. Help is out there and good for you in stepping up to ask for some. I wish you extremely well!
Old 01-05-2011, 02:57 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Well, so far I have been doing it alone the first two days were the hardest, today was hard as well. I went by a bar and thought it would be nice to have hot wings and a beer and said to myself no way in hell. I am going to AA meetings and going to move in with a family member that promises she will help me through this and we will beat it. One of her very good friends is sober 18 years and helps with AA.

Cheers!
Old 01-05-2011, 04:19 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Well, so far I have been doing it alone the first two days were the hardest, today was hard as well. I went by a bar and thought it would be nice to have hot wings and a beer and said to myself no way in hell. I am going to AA meetings and going to move in with a family member that promises she will help me through this and we will beat it. One of her very good friends is sober 18 years and helps with AA.

Cheers!
Awesome DrinkNo that takes real courage, for that defines the word courage.

I had to stay away from bars for a while even though my old environment was really in my head, I did not need to give it any extra fuel.

Good to mee you
Old 01-05-2011, 10:42 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Thanks for the words of encouragement. I am thinking the bigger problem was my pain killers, as they would lead me to drinking uncontrollably. I was taking a lot of Percocet and promised I would stop on 1/1 and did. The pain I am in is incredible, but I am thinking straight and not wanting to drink at all. That is making me think it is more of the Percocet.