Notices

drinking is good for you

Old 01-01-2011, 07:12 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

"I went to a party last night, they were drinking Absenthe for darns sake. "

It was just this last spring. CBS Sunday Morning show did a whole section on this alcohol..it used to be illegal in the U.S. Now it is legal. They said it is a hullocinogen with euphoric effects. So part of this is advertising. I don't get out much..but this is the first I have ever heard of it. I am thinkin with advertising like this..every kind of addict you can think of comes out of the woodwork.
Old 01-01-2011, 07:18 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I am sorry about your friend. I hope someone is taking her dog and caring for him/her. Shelters kill dogs in most of the country - I do dog rescue, so I see it every day.

I found this quote this year, and I really like it; I don't remember who said it, but it was someone well known:

Bacchus drowns more men than Neptune -

How true!!
nancy
Old 01-01-2011, 07:26 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Nancy...I like that quote...very well put.

Her dogs fate is still up in the air but he wont be going to a shelter...just not sure where he will be going.

Absinthe....a favorite beverage among the French Impressionists they felt it helped them see differently. I believe it is made with wormwood (an herb) and the recipe used in the 1800s is lost so what people drink today is not the same thing exactly. And yes....I did want to try it back in the day.
Old 01-01-2011, 07:32 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Just one more thing..and this I WOULD NEVER DO! I am not sure if it was the same episode but I KNOW it was CBS Sunday Morning. There is some frog you can lick that gets people high. I will have to google this because I don't remember which frog..but I wondered who would be the one to step up to the podium and annouce that they discovered this. They had to have been drunk or high in the first place to even think of it.
Old 01-01-2011, 08:07 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

So glad you joined the forum MsCB
Old 01-01-2011, 08:22 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Thanks Lady...keep your chin up. We WILL be ok. Looking ONWARD!!!
Old 01-01-2011, 08:52 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

If you are referring to those studies that seem to indicate a certain portion of drinking 'one' glass of beer or wine a day can be good for the heart and all that, I have to say, I have often wondered who exactly that would apply to anyway.

If someone doesn't drink at all, should they begin to drink even just one glass to discover they just may enjoy beyond the one glass and begin to also enjoy the effect and risk becoming potential problem drinkers?

And does anyone really think anyone who drinks a six pack or two six packs an evening is going to intentionally cut back to one glass of beer a day because of some study saying it is good for them?

So who exactly does it apply to? Maybe those who already only drink one glass of wine an evening. So it's not like the study has changed anything other than possibly causing more of a problem, it would seem to me.

Do they actually pay these people who do these studies?

And who are these people who get studied? How come I have never gotten studied. How come I have never met anyone who has gotten studied? How come I have never met anyone who even knew anyone who has gotten studied.

I do not believe in studies. I believe in testimony I hear given by people that share in meetings. There's a lot of testimony on this forum alone that seems to prove those studies rather moot I would say.
Old 01-02-2011, 01:18 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LaFemme View Post
So say many people. I wonder how many years of life a daily glass of wine has added to life versus how many years of life has been subtracted from because of alcohol.

Just found out a sort of friend died 2 days ago. We knew each other from the dog park for years. She has an awesome dog and a wicked sense of humor. When I first met M. She didn't drink...I didn't know she had had a problem. I moved away for a few years and when I moved back she wasn't going to the dog park any more. Her dog showed up by himself one day this summer so I walked him back to her house. It takes one to know one. I was sad to see how unhealthy she looked.

Her heart gave out the last day of the year. When my friend told me M. Had died she confirmed that she had started drinking again and that her body just couldn't take it anymore.

There is no reason to drink...even normally. This stuff is poison

Tina

..sorry..but you don't know where the kids are..

..your also sick..husbands out of work..

..life is tummbling around you...overweight? smoke?

..maybe your just not happy?? maybe that's the reason..

..no offence..Oz..
Old 01-02-2011, 03:30 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

That's really sad but a worthwhile thread. I have been told by countless friends that just having one is "healthy" but it takes so much effort just to have the one. I wonder how many people are honest about not wishing to keep going and finish a bottle. I stopped drinking because even just one drink would make me not want to do anything. I would come home and just sit on the couch despite the fact that I am self employed and should have been doing paperwork or cleaning the flat. My friends all think that by stopping that I am "attention-seeking"; trying to be different. They all want to know how much is "too much" when I told them that I had stopped drinking because I felt that I was drinking too much. When I tell them how much, they laugh because that's "normal". Thankfully, I'm also vegan and am used to people commenting on my eating habits so it hasn't deterred me from my recovery. It just shows (or hope it shows) that to those individuals who drink one a day - must ask why because I bet that if they did abstain, they may not get acute withdrawal symptoms but I bet that they would feel the post acute ones and I believe personally that as much as it hurts and is mentally painful, these are the juicy bits of life (good and bad). Sobriety to me is about honouring oneself and the body that we were given!
Old 01-02-2011, 04:14 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I am sorry for your loss. Alcohol is so buffling to me. I returned to my mom for christmas, big trigger, and there on christmas eve my brother (I did not see him drinking for at least 2 years) drunk 1 bottle by himself within 1h. Having been there I just felt sad. He has 4 kids and my mother and his wife did not even say anything. I took him aside the next day and he is back on his way. His business is not going well so he felt the pressure and started again.......
Old 01-02-2011, 09:06 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

SASA sorry your brother is having a hard time...I'm glad you said something...too often we are silent. I always wished someone would have said something to me when I was drinking...it would have made a difference to me.
Old 01-02-2011, 10:14 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

La Femme
Thank you for all of your contributions to SR. You are an inspiration to people because you share recovery from an alternative perspective. You are successful because you understand that recovery is unique to your situation and you work hard. Keep sharing.
SH
Old 01-02-2011, 10:17 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Tina, I am sorry for the loss of your friend. Your share touched me and has me reflecting on the blessings in my life. I wouldn't be here and would have none of what I have today if I hadn't stopped drinking.

Thinking of you.
Old 01-02-2011, 10:31 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear of the loss to alcohol. Any loss from self-respect the first time a person pukes, to the memories lost in black outs, to an early burial.

All of us seeking or have chosen sobriety are exceptional examples of how man can change his/her ways or surrender our lives to a habit.

I too know someone who drank herself to death. She only just popped back into memory.

It's said alcohol has a few qualities that it can add to human life. The same qualities can be found in fruit juices and fruit juices don't take peoples self-respect, relationships, jobs, licenses and often leaves our loved ones and strangers lives with eternal sorrow when we're the lucky ones who don't die from it.

We can only save ourselves. We can do that. With others, we can 'try' but that is all we can do. Still, it's so sad to lose them.
Old 01-02-2011, 12:05 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Olive oil is good for you in the way that most normal people consume it.
If I was addicted to olive oil and felt the need to down a bottle a day that would obviously not be healthy.
Olive oil isn't the problem in that equation, the problem would be me.
Old 01-02-2011, 12:49 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

LaF - (( HUGS ))
Old 01-02-2011, 01:05 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dubbguy View Post
Olive oil is good for you in the way that most normal people consume it.
If I was addicted to olive oil and felt the need to down a bottle a day that would obviously not be healthy.
Olive oil isn't the problem in that equation, the problem would be me.
Well, let's just hope people don't start to discover they begin to enjoy some effects of euphoria from drinking olive oil now.
Old 01-02-2011, 01:23 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

I would take drinking olive oil over sucking on a toad any day. That..is the end of that story!
Old 01-02-2011, 04:58 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

I don't think drinking a bottle of olive oil a day would kill me...I would probably Have very shiny hair and skin (perhaps with a greenish tint) and very loose stools.

Just saying
Old 01-02-2011, 07:17 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by stanleyhouse View Post
LaFemme
I am sorry to hear about your friend. It does suck to see the destruction alcohol and drugs do to peoples' bodies, lives, families even communities. I went to a party last night, they were drinking Absenthe for darns sake. They said it gave them a sense of euphoria. They all looked forty when they were thirty and talked about depressing stuff. My husband and I had a nice time. it sure is nice not to look like a dressed up drunk. I think I am having the party next year
SH
My SIL brought us a bottle of Absinthe from Prague several years ago, before it was legal in the US. We drank that sucker on NYE of that year, and I can attest that was one of the most horrendous hangovers of my life. It was awful.

I don't know. Maybe there are mild benefits to the one drink a day rule, but there are probably a million studies that say the opposite. I don't think I could stop at one. Maybe some days, but not every day.

Also, I can relate to having those friends who look ten years older than they are. Due to drinking no doubt.