D
Old 01-27-2011, 12:38 PM
  # 322 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee! Feel like I've been in a huge
war with dragons and dinosaurs for a long,
long time now. Very lucky I survived!
Old 01-27-2011, 01:53 PM
  # 323 (permalink)  

I missed this thread first time around but I'm now on day 25. Longest drought since...1984?

As of yesterday I had only told 3 people about quitting- 2 therapists and 1 friend who I didn't want to tell but had to (long story).

I guess I didn't want to tell anyone because I was afraid I'd relapse and then look like a failure.

But yesterday some rough stuff came up at work- my fault due in part to the surprising effects of drying out (lack of concentration, demotivation, etc.)- and I had to tell my partners at work. Felt kind of good to spill it actually.
Old 01-27-2011, 02:12 PM
  # 324 (permalink)  
Administrator

good to have you here too L&D
I found my mental faculties started to get better around 30 days, so I wish the same for you too

D
Old 01-27-2011, 03:24 PM
  # 325 (permalink)  

Guess I'll join. Day four here.
Old 01-27-2011, 03:29 PM
  # 326 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to you too Oakleaf

D
Old 01-27-2011, 05:41 PM
  # 327 (permalink)  

ok im back here to try and kick this bad habit of drinking too much by myself in the afternoons. Seemed to get out of control over the christmas break as ive been on annual leave and used this to justify to myself i could drink more. Tried to make it a new years resolution to stop but that only lasted a few hours.

Yesterday was 1 year since my dad died of cancer so decided to get my crap together and stop drinking so I cant forget the day I gave up this time and use it to motivate myself more.

What even made me feel worse is the night before the bin was outside to be collected full of all my beer bottles and the when blew the lid open resulting in one beer bottle falling out and smashing all over the road, went outside at 2am and thought what must the neighbours think when they hear this. Even worse was when the bin was collected and you could hear all the empties going into the truck. My neighbours next door have partied everynow and then and their bin nowwhere sounded as bad as mine. Considering there is only one of me how embrassing.

Any way feeling great today as its my second day with no alcohol and feeling like im actually getting things done in my life instead of getting trashed and not having to worry about them.
Old 01-27-2011, 05:50 PM
  # 328 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome back fluxcap

D
Old 01-28-2011, 08:30 AM
  # 329 (permalink)  

vacation

Nothing like a tropical vacation to test you. (Don't hate - its been below 0 at home for too long) Hanging tight though.
Flux, touching story. What a wonderful way to honor your father.

Chris
Old 01-28-2011, 03:45 PM
  # 330 (permalink)  

I was told that I lost my job yesterday, company restructured, and I'm not needed. A week of work left until the new company takes over and I'm expected to be here til the bitter end.

I'm hardly holding it together, I'm at work now, and would much rather be anywhere else. This has got to be the bottom right...not much else can go wrong in my life.

I've only managed a little over a weeks sobriety and feel like I am teetering on the edge of that dark precipice again. The temptation to fall back into my old pattern of relief with booze is soooooooooo strong.

I am trying to not think about it, what a joke. How good would it feel to get rid of these horrid feeelings with just one little drink.

But I know that if I do that, then I really am finished. Please give me the strength to not.

Old 01-28-2011, 03:53 PM
  # 331 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Manz.
I'm really sorry about your job....but you know as well as I do that drinking won't help a damn thing. You'll still feel bad...even worse now, cos you drank.

I know from experience the best thing to do is hit the ground running and start looking for other jobs...drinking (and recoverying from drinking) just takes time out of that.

I really hope you find something jobwise - I hope it's something better than what you have now

D
Old 01-29-2011, 07:24 AM
  # 332 (permalink)  

Oh Manz, So Sorry! As if this wasn't a hard enough time for you. Sobriety is a new beginning, but it sounds like you're being forced a couple steps behind GO. Prayers are with you. You've made one brave bold move and that's amazing right there!
Old 01-29-2011, 12:59 PM
  # 333 (permalink)  

class 01/11

well I am still hoping to be a member of this class . I am on new medication that I am not suppossed to drink so I am hoping it will work and that I can not drink also. thanks everyone for their support and I will try to support all of you also!!
Old 01-29-2011, 01:49 PM
  # 334 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope you can too Ruby - give those meds a chance to work

D
Old 01-29-2011, 02:23 PM
  # 335 (permalink)  

Stopping by to give you all a January will be over soon, remember that the key is to reach out.

Old 01-29-2011, 03:27 PM
  # 336 (permalink)  
Administrator

good to see you Matt

D
Old 01-30-2011, 08:51 AM
  # 337 (permalink)  

class of 01-11

hi,
well sometimes losing a job will work itself into new opportunities? i hope so at least, maybe something better will come along?
i like my new medication so far, but i am also on antibiotics for a sinus infection , but i am hopeful that will be over soon!
hope we can all make it through together, one day at a time
Old 01-30-2011, 03:56 PM
  # 338 (permalink)  

25 Days....4th weekend no booze.

Yesterday I had World War III going on inside my head. I wanted to drink from the moment I woke up. Went to a noon meeting. Didnt seem to help.

White-knuckled it through the afternoon and evening. Reading this board and keeping busy. After a great big dinner the compulsion finally started to fade last night.

I see my addiction counsellor on Tuesday, and I dont want to have to say I'm drinking again. Plus my sane mind knows exactly where that first drink will lead and I don't want to go there.

Today I woke up so happy with myself that I didnt drink.
Strange thing is... today I have no desire at all to drink. None.

People here say these urges fade in time....I sure hope so. That was wicked.
Old 01-30-2011, 04:02 PM
  # 339 (permalink)  
Administrator

My first 30 days were pretty hard Hooped.

I'm happy for those who say they had no problems, cravings or urges - but that sure wasn't my experience....

D
Old 01-30-2011, 07:45 PM
  # 340 (permalink)  

Tough Day

Hi all,

Firstly... Hooped, thats awesome you got through a day like that!!!

I'm having one similar, its late afternoon and I have used up just about all my distraction skills...skills...what a laugh.

I even took myself for a walk up the local volcano(yeah volcano, extinct tho) and sat at the top to avoid the urge to go to the bottle store. The house is now clean from top to bottom.... and I'm not a fan of housework let me tell ya.

Played music so loud so I couldn't hear my booze brain talking...I think the neighbours may have something to say about that.

Tomorrow I start my last week of work....the stress is intense.

But I'm here, not drinking and holding on to the knowledge that if I do....it will NOT help.

I'm hoping this gets better...