Notices

First Sober NYE since I started drinking...

Old 12-31-2010, 10:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First Sober NYE since I started drinking...

...and damn, it feels pretty good.

Who's with me?

Edit: Sorry, just noticed someone already started a thread similar to this one. Feel free to delete this one.
Old 12-31-2010, 10:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

First one I ever can remember without drinking and it was great. Looking forward to a wonderful and sober 2011!
Happy new year!
Old 12-31-2010, 11:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

No need to delete it...there's plenty of these tonight, and IMHO...can't be too many.

Congrats Atman! Sweet!
Old 01-01-2011, 12:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm with you! I didn't make an ass out of myself in front of my family and no hangover tomorrow. Plus, I didn't cave in to my cravings. It feels great.
Old 01-01-2011, 01:03 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
The Little Alcoholic Monstress That Could

It sure does feel good!!
Old 01-01-2011, 01:14 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

me too! first one in ten years! just got home from my sisters house. even though there was booze there, i had no want or urge to drink at all! also i was kinda hoping to get pulled over on my drive home just so i could say 'no i havent been drinking' and really mean it. LOL
Old 01-01-2011, 01:19 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Snarf Snarf

I'm with ya, Atman. My goal for most NYE parties has been to get as hammered as possible. Especially if it's open bar, 'cause you gotta make the cover charge worth it.

Sure can't remember when my last sober NYE was. At least this is one year I won't have difficulty remember what I did!
Old 01-01-2011, 02:02 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

way to go everyone!

D
Old 01-01-2011, 02:09 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Location: Overseas... on the shore of an uncharted desert isle.
I'm stationed out in the Far East where, although there are certainly loud parties if you are so inclined, the traditional approach to NYE is to spend it quietly with family and maybe visiting the neighborhood shrine around midnight or in the early morning; it's a lot like Christmas Eve is supposed to be back home.

It made me realize how back home (stateside) the social expectations or pressures were often to 'get out there & celebrate'.

It helps to know there is an alternative.
Old 01-01-2011, 04:45 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

My family and I celebrated the early part of the night with another family with small kids. I was the only totally sober adult. I noticed again though that the nights actually do NOT revolve around alcohol like I thought they did Just my nights used to, I guess. And the other woman who was there had maybe... 4 drinks in as many hours and then pushed her mostly-full glass away and declared herself 'done' for the night. (I don't think I'll ever understand that but I admire it!)

Really nice to wake up in the middle of the night with one of my kids. Tired but clear headed. Not gulping back juice/advil and hoping against hope that I still had hours to sleep.

Now awake, content, snuggling with my little girl on the couch. Life is good
Old 01-01-2011, 05:19 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I felt tired and lazy so stayed home with the dogs. Went to bed at ten thirty and slept til 8 am. Happy sober new years everyone!
Old 01-01-2011, 05:26 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Happy to be up at 6am, clear headed and ready for the day. Where's my coffee..
Old 01-01-2011, 05:27 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I WAS with you heh heh But I wasn't up as late as you night owls. Feels great this morning.
Old 01-01-2011, 05:30 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Last night and this morning feel like a miracle! No hang over. No regrets. No hundreds of bucks down the toilet (literally!)

I'm here sipping Jo at 8.30am on NYD! Really an impressive fete for me. I haven't felt like this on NYD since I was 18. And that was a couple decades ago... ugh, NOW I'm depressed!
Old 01-01-2011, 05:53 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Living on a prayer

I'm beyond happy... I stayed home, sober, with my kids last night (the hubby is away with work) and we made home made pizza and played cards. After that I hung around online here and facebook, watched the ball drop with the kids and then went to bed shortly after. Slept in a bit this morning and I'm up with no hangover, no shakes, no throwing up, no regrets, I'm loving it! Happy New Year everyone, I know I'm not on here a whole lot but it was nice to hang out last night with the other posters and just 'belong'.
Old 01-01-2011, 06:01 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Avenger of my liver

Originally Posted by north View Post
I'm stationed out in the Far East where, although there are certainly loud parties if you are so inclined, the traditional approach to NYE is to spend it quietly with family and maybe visiting the neighborhood shrine around midnight or in the early morning; it's a lot like Christmas Eve is supposed to be back home.

It made me realize how back home (stateside) the social expectations or pressures were often to 'get out there & celebrate'.

It helps to know there is an alternative.
I'm in East Asia as well and while there were a few native college kids in the area partying (no more than the usual on a Friday night), but by no means were they anywhere as out of control and obnoxiously loud as the expat population was last night. Makes me embarassed to be a foreigner here sometimes.
Old 01-01-2011, 06:42 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Also my first sober NYE since I started drinking many, many years ago.

It feels soooo good to feel good!!!
Old 01-01-2011, 08:16 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Made it through sober myself, was kind of rough being at a party but it really didn't take a whole lot of will power to realize what was important, I feel great today.

Grats everyone, happy new year!