Notices

question about addiction...

Old 12-31-2010, 03:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Clean since Dec. 1st, 2010

question about addiction...

I was wondering if anyone knows of a way to STOP the addictive behavior?? I have been sober for 31 days and it seems that I am developing an addiction to sweets! I would love to hear about anyones thoughts or ideas about stopping the addictive behaviour in ALL areas of my life!?!

Wishing ALL a vey Happy New Year and beyond!!!

We Can Do This!! We can GET sober, BE sober or STAY sober on this first day of 2011!!!

Happy New Year and Best of Luck to you ALL for the 2011.
Old 12-31-2010, 03:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey Sunshine:

Good for you on your sober time! I, too, went on a sugar tear when I was newly sober. I think it's pretty common. I tried not to beat myself up about it but also realized that the highs/lows of sugar consumption weren't doing my moods/health any favors. I made a conscious decision to try to substitute whole for refined foods whenever I could and the cravings gradually subsided.

As for other addictions/unhealthy behaviors, I didn't try to tackle everything at once. Seemed like that was adding a lot of pressure. Concentrate on recovery -- the other issues will start to sort themselves out. At least, that's what I'm discovering. Everything's easier when the fog starts to lift.

Have a great New Year's Eve!
ddog
Old 12-31-2010, 03:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I don't think lobotomies are legal anymore, haha! Just kidding! I'd be curious to know also, as I have an addictive nature too. Got hooked on Mountain Dew my first sobriety attempt - and FaceBook games. Now I am constantly drinking tea and posting on SR. I have been looking into Naltrexone and similar receptor inhibitors. Seems for some of us, once a pleasure switch is flipped, it gets stuck in "more more more" mode!
Old 12-31-2010, 03:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Living on a prayer

I agree, I was eating sweets too newly in sobriety. Don't put too much on yourself at once, I gave myself a few weeks of the jelly beans before taking that on too. Got myself away from the sweets by drinking more water, adding some decaf coffee into my afternoon routine, finding healthy meals that I would enjoy cooking for me and my family. Lots of times finding a therapist that deals with addiction transfers is a necessity, it's something to consider.

Congrats on 31 days, happy new year!
Old 12-31-2010, 04:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Juggernaut of self will

Let me know when you find that solution...

There is pretty much nothing that I won't get addicted to under the right circumstances. It is just a part of who I am.

The 12 steps of AA are really the only thing that has offered me any repreive from this sickness, and I think it is the closest thing to a cure I have ever found. That, and ice cream.
Old 12-31-2010, 05:13 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Numerous studies have pointed out that there is a link between a 'sweet tooth' and alcoholism.

ASSOCIATION BETWEEN PREFERENCE FOR SWEETS AND EXCESSIVE ALCOHOL INTAKE: A REVIEW OF ANIMAL AND HUMAN STUDIES ? Alcohol Alcohol
Twin study suggests genetic link between craving alcohol, sweets

Many alcoholics are also hypoglycemic. While consuming sweets may help the short term cravings for alcohol, it may be overall detrimental to your sobriety. You may want to investigate if you are hypoglycemic and invest into a proper diet.

Identifying & correcting the biochemical disruption of hypoglycemia and alcoholism
Alcoholism and Hypoglycemia - a knol by Stephen Carroll
Old 12-31-2010, 05:25 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Nice idea but don't overreach! Try to focus on the really harmful addictions like alcohol, drugs and pills first and then maybe later go on tackle food, etc. I got addicted to my dog and won't give that up! For another illustration of dog dependency see Caroline Knapp's book on what happened after she got sober. "Pack of Two". Her first book was "Drinking-A Love Story".
So anyway beware of thinking that if you can't rid yourself of all addictions you can't get sober from booze, drugs or pills. A good way of rationalizing a failure to enter recovery from the really harmful stuff. Good luck.

W.
Old 12-31-2010, 05:51 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

This is my take on addiction

Addiction is a sign that you are a healthy functioning human being. There is a part of your brain that wants to feel good all over, and there are certain things out there that make you feel good all over (ie sex, food, alcohol, drugs, exercising). When that part of the brain learns to expect to be paid off (get its fix) , it takes a long time for it to go back to normal. If you are a recovering alcoholic, that part of your brain is firing on all cylinders, trying everything it can do in order to make you drink.

I also believe that there are healthy addictions vs unhealthy addictions, sort of. Alcohol addiction is unhealthy. In the end though, addiction can and will ruin your life. But, as a recovering alcoholic, I would rather have an addiction to chocolate than continue being addicted to alcohol
Old 12-31-2010, 05:51 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nikkle View Post
Got hooked on …FaceBook games.
There is no recovery for that I'm afraid....you are doomed to spend eternity in Farmville...no amount of 12 steps will save you.

Sad.

Lol