Notices

What's_2011_going_to_mean_to_you?

Old 12-31-2010, 09:35 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

What's_2011_going_to_mean_to_you?

Hi all-

What's 2011 going to mean to you? Yes, yes, I know, live one day at a time, but we all think ahead a bit.

For me...

2008 - I started having consequences b/c of my drinking and blacking out.
2009 - Kept drinking, even though I'd been broken up with, fired, had to move, and finally dui and totaled car #2. Started AA in Sept, but struggled for a few months still trying to control my drinking.
2010 - finally got sober, finally did the work, finally got sentenced, finally decided to participate in my own recovery and reality.

2011 - Lots of hope for this year. I got a lot to do b/c of my sentence, but I'm really looking forward to sobriety, to really finding out who I am now the the "fog" has sort of worn off, and to being able to drive again

I'm also looking forward to what life has in store for me. I so happy I'm willing to be open to new ideas now.

Viva sobriety!

Kjell
Old 12-31-2010, 09:44 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm hoping that one day at a time, 2011 will be my first entire year sober since I was 17. High hopes but a great goal!
Old 12-31-2010, 09:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

2011-first entire year sober since I was 17
Old 12-31-2010, 09:48 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yes, I've done the ground work. 2011 starts with me chairing an AA meeting at 1000 on New Year's Day. Who would have believed it a year ago?
Old 12-31-2010, 09:51 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Thanks for the topic, K! I've been thinking a bit about this myself....

I have several goals for this year, the main one is staying sober of course. Without my sobriety, I might as well forget about the rest of them. One thing about being sober is that I care more about my life. I think I even like myself! So, I'll be doing some things that go along with that (like making some healthier choices, going to the doctors for a check-up, etc.). I need to quit smoking too.

I have plenty to work on, but just beginning this year as a sober person really means alot to me. And seeing the successes here, too..... it's wonderful....I'm looking forward to a great 2011!:day6
Old 12-31-2010, 10:00 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Living on a prayer

I look forward to celebrating a year of sobriety in 2011. I hope to be able to help others with their struggles, be a good friend, a better mom and wife.
Old 12-31-2010, 10:17 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Dismember

2011 could be quite a big year for me. I have spent the last two trying to work on my sobriety and deal with all the negative consequences of my drinking. It was hardly much of a "normal life." Start of this next year I am moving, going to start working, see what comes of this romantic relationship I have, and other things I never could've had drunk. I sort of feel like the "promises" are being laid out in front of me, so I'll be working sobriety hard to make sure I get to have and keep them.
Old 12-31-2010, 10:27 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
rode hard and put away wet

GOALS
1. Start really working on my physical health
2. Finding a new Full-time job w/ my own benefits

Next year I'll take over the world!

Old 12-31-2010, 10:31 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Well I'm starting 2011 sober and plan to stay that way, but thinking of the year ahead is daunting to say the least.

Yes, I know there will be blessings ahead in sobriety but over the last couple of months I have come to the stark realisiation that after so many years drinking, not only do I not know what I am 'supposed' to be doing with my life, career, relationships etc. I don't even really know who I am any more. Obviously that poses a bit of a problem looking at job interviews etc.

Oh well, one day at a time. I'll get stuck in to AA and see if that helps. Warmest New Year's greetings to everyone here at SR.
Old 12-31-2010, 10:53 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

I have been amazed about how many layers there are. When I feel like I've reached a plateau in recovery, something is revealed to me to let me know there is more growth yet to come.

2010 was a year in which I felt more comfortable with myself than I ever have. It almost felt like I was being given a second chance to live my life as a person who cares for herself.

2011 is going to be amazing. My 3rd grandchild will be born in April and I am thrilled about that, not to mention grateful.
Old 12-31-2010, 11:05 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hope...

I will keep staying sober 'just for today' and working my recovery 'one day at a time'. I will let what is instore for me reveal itself to me as it's intended to do. This is what I have done in 2010 and things worked out positively.

I have faith in recovery and I look forward to what's instore for me. I know that by making sure that I look after today means that I can have a brighter tomorrow.

I relate to where you're at mate and remember the immense hope I felt last new year. I have manged to build my life up courtesy of sobriety and recovery and I also relate to the excitement at driving again. I am still grateful everytime I get in my car like 16 months since I got driving again! It makes me appreciate it more having lost my license and also I know that I could kiss goodbye to my license if I ever drank again! 'Just for today' that ain't going to happen...

Peace and Happy new Year!!
Old 12-31-2010, 11:12 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Meditate, exercise a bit. Get happy. Continue to cultivate meaningful and mutually respectful relationships with people. Quit drinking. Stop dating fools. If I get one or two of those it will be a different year.
Old 12-31-2010, 11:43 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Well, 2010 has been the first full calendar year that I've been totally sober since 1979, when I was 13 years-old! Hopefully 2011 will be another year of sober, grateful and joyous living.
Old 12-31-2010, 12:12 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

2011 to me means hoping for the world to get smart and correct our paths. It will mean I quit drinking LAST year and am a responsible person, who no longer accepts being abused by any element, going forward. I'm sober. I analyze. I'm realistic and I'm focussed. I am responsible for my actions and my life. Nobody owes me squat. It's all me now and I like it.

Leaving alcohol is a monumental part of my life, with many bad memories. I see things clearly now, for what they are. They were not good times, but awful times with awful consequences from hangovers to a dui.

At the same time, I will not allow my leaving alcohol to be a highlight in my life, anymore than I will allow any other bad experience. I will not give it such power to live with me or scar me. I'm in power now. It has been rendered powerless by ME~
Old 12-31-2010, 12:56 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

2011 will be my first full calendar year of AA. With the tools and fellowship of AA hopefully I will be able to handle anything that life throws my way.
Old 12-31-2010, 01:07 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

2011 will be my second full year of sobriety! Will continue to take it one day at a time and keep on counting my blessings every day. Will enjoy my life, my dogs, my home, and life in general. Will try to save some money each month so I won't be stranded in case of a crisis.
Old 12-31-2010, 01:28 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm excited about new years and the possibilities an opportunities they'll bring, & this year is no exception - and, given my history, I'm always grateful I get to see another new year

happy new year to all
thanks Kjell

D
Old 12-31-2010, 01:34 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Kjell, I sure hope it's better. It was good for me from the standpoint of being a year sober, but there was a lot of crap too, mostly due to my own fears, I think.

PaleMale, when I think about it technically, this was probably my first year going a full year since I was 17 too. I say I didn't start drinking until after I was legal (19), but I technically did have some before that, once when I was 18 and once when I was 17 at a military dinner. Hoping you will get there. Breaking it down into smaller units (just today; repeat, repeat) seems to be the way to keep going, plus something special each person figures out for themselves.
Old 12-31-2010, 02:41 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

2011-- I really want to work on changing my life for the better. This included staying sober; but it's more than that. I want to be healthier; be more positive; do things that are enriching and fulfilling; start volunteering; looking at grad school; and really work on improving my relationship with my husband.

Lots of these things seem possible with the absence of alcohol. I hate falling into the same patterns of worrying about the same things; having the same fight with my husband; something needs to change. I feel like if I can give up drinking that will be a MAJOR change, and more things will be possible.
Old 12-31-2010, 02:54 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

i look forward to 2011 i want to wipe 2010 right off the map..except for getting sober and coming here.

i want to put myself first for a change and take a few hours every week to spend on enjoying myself both body and mind...i'm tired of working 6 days a week...the $$ is good and i know i am very fortunate with my job, but i want to have a little fun too...i am tired of playing beat the clock from the minute i wake up until i get back home.

i think i'm due for a happiness turn around, 2009 and 10 were pretty sucky..both relationship-wise and it is draining to see my mother decline (she has advancing dementia) so fast.

but through all that I managed to pull my head out of the wine bottle and get sober....that is the best part.

i'm fearful to plan too far a head, but each day is a step in the right direction. i am also looking forward to more daylight every day...i hate this time of year with no sunlight until 730AM.

thanks for starting the thread...HappyNew Year!